• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP Wins lawsuit over Arctic Cat-Anyone read this yet?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
All 3 manufacturers have a Similar rider forward pyramid frame.
One big difference is, Polaris kept the feet behind the driveshaft, one thing i notice going from Cat to Poo, definitely like the feet further forward on the cat. That may be the one thing that kept doo from attacking poo too?

Sent it

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
All 3 manufacturers have a Similar rider forward pyramid frame.
One big difference is, Polaris kept the feet behind the driveshaft, one thing i notice going from Cat to Poo, definitely like the feet further forward on the cat. That may be the one thing that kept doo from attacking poo too?

Sent it

Poo sued BRP for coupled suspension a few months after BRP first went after AC back in 2011, and left the door open to come after Poo. But they didn't, and Poo backed off the coupling suit. Call it pre-emptive. As said, OEM's also trade tech to settle lawsuits all the time; that's how AC and Poo ended up with BRP electronic reverse, e.g., just without the beeper. OEMs have screwed the innovators many times, too, e.g., BRP with Val Simmons dual runner ski, and the original Poo and Doo throttle body fuel injection systems. Think the fuel injection hijack cost poo something like $30 mil back in the day. Poo and AC used to trade a couple new race sleds between Rosseau and TRF back in the early snowcross days, just to make it easier on each other. They all reverse engineer each other's sleds. Once upon a time, if you got behind the R&D facility in TRF, you'd find many of the hot models of Poo, Doo, and Yammi (before there was a Yamacat) sitting around. Just the way the industry works.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Pretty ballsy of Doo to go after Cat on the pyramid-style frame. There's gotta be some crunchy new-ager out there with some paperwork on pyramid power and a good lawyer; he/she could be collecting all kinds of royalties. Doo shoulda just kept quiet and let live. Also, best to steer clear of anything involving crystals, crystalline structures, crystallized materials... Come to think of it, with lawyers on every corner, how does anyone make anything these days?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Don't discount this is a Canadian court protecting a major Canadian company and employer. US courts dismissed this a long time ago. And could get reversed in CA on appeals, too.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Don't discount this is a Canadian court protecting a major Canadian company and employer. US courts dismissed this a long time ago. And could get reversed in CA on appeals, too.
Actually you can count on it coming out of Quebec, anywhere else in Canada you most likely would get a fair trial.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Don't think they ever paid, after the damages were increased. Suit was appealed, and kicked back for retrial by appeals court years later, after finding some facts to AC's favor. Likely part of a negotiation still happening. Accountants bayonet the wounded. Lawyers strip the bodies. Only the body strippers will win this one.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
If the geometry of the chassis is the same you sure wouldn't know it by riding them. I don't think two sleds could handle much differently. Perhaps it will help motivate a new, lighter chassis which is definitely overdue. 2012-2021 is a long time.

Tough to get the chassis a lot lighter unless the move is to carbon fiber. Given the cost, I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

Z
Jan 26, 2011
The cat chassis itself is not that heavy. Anyone that's fully stripped one can tell you. The intake system and engine are though.

Cats engines are no heavier than any other brands two strokes. Intake is a little bit more due to how it has to breath from the engine layout though. Cats chassis is way more beefed up than most of the competition. Weight means very little to most riders.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Cats engines are no heavier than any other brands two strokes. Intake is a little bit more due to how it has to breath from the engine layout though. Cats chassis is way more beefed up than most of the competition. Weight means very little to most riders.
Go ahead and fact check me on this.

I believe the zuke is almost 20lb heavier than the poo 800.
The Ctec is close in weight to the Zuke.
The poo 850 is 7-10lb heavier than their 800.

Sent it

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008

Cat engines are definitely heavier than polaris 800s.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
I would need to see proof on that one. Would explain why cats motors are so much more durable than the Poo but I digress.

It’s amazing the size difference, a little apples/oranges but The first time I seen a ‘11 800 poo engine in the bench beside the cat 800 I asked my buddy who’s 600 are you working on. The size of the bottom end was crazy on both occasions crazy how big the cat was and how small the Polaris was. No wonder cat 800 cranks seem to last forever, that and the crank bearings on the cat were huge in comparison

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The Cat chassis is designed to hold a 1100 turbo 4 stroke. The physical size required for the 4 stroke motor and the torque it produces makes the Cat larger and heavier (and stronger) than it would need to be for just the 2 stroke. This is good and bad depending on your needs. Nice that the Alpha skid weighs less than a twin rail. Too bad that that the weight savings is not evenly distributed. I believe the next chassis will make everyone happy if Covid doesn't kill it first.

F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
I couple years ago had 2015 poo 800 engine out of sled and compared it with a 1979 skidoo snopro 340cc engine,the poo 800 engine was smaller than the 340 engine so polaris engine is strong for size but not strong for displacement.

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
being from Canada so glad I did not snow check a new sled...im hearing people have paid deposits and traded in sleds...now what ??? get boned.

Premium Features