• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP Wins lawsuit over Arctic Cat-Anyone read this yet?

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
hmmm.... didn't say anything about Yamaha sales in Canada...boom ...loop hole ...de-sticker cat sleds reapply Yamaha decals and ship to Canada.... then provide a Cat decal kit in the crate with your new sled ...problem solved ….pay attention Cat

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Sounds like no full size snowchecks can be delivered in Canada... and sounds like there were only 700 some snowchecks in the entire country, yikes

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Sounds like no full size snowchecks can be delivered in Canada... and sounds like there were only 700 some snowchecks in the entire country, yikes

Most likely the 750ish pertained to the 4 dealers involved and not all of Canada? Overall this just isn’t good for the sport of snowmobiling, the fact that it has gone this far is pretty sad especially for a sport that’s fighting declining sales numbers. Might be winning a battle and losing the war

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
It's really crappy, I find it funny and odd how you can still get the Yamaha even though it is through and through an Arctic Cat alpha! Just blue!....

That said cats been slipping, only 1 year factory warranty VS the others of 3 and 5? They seem to not be making parts so parts are sparce, tracks falling apart and of course denying any warranty.... Happened to me and I know damn well its a defect and I didn't hit nothing, track started to tear from track clip outward.... Canadian that was $2300... By the time you do currency exchange from USD and pay taxes, it was the same price to just buy locally., oh and the rails that are made poorly/too light and crack/break... I don't dare jump my alpha in fear of it cracking on me.

Cats digging its own grave, I love my alpha and can only cross my fingers after this track it's reliable onward but dissapointed otherwise. they don't even support their sponsored riders very well, I have a family member who was running with them for a short time, but Polaris gave an offer they couldn't say no to, since then says they really take care of you, no comparison, it's like cat wants you to pay then to brand for them.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Most likely the 750ish pertained to the 4 dealers involved and not all of Canada? Overall this just isn’t good for the sport of snowmobiling, the fact that it has gone this far is pretty sad especially for a sport that’s fighting declining sales numbers. Might be winning a battle and losing the war
Ehhh, 750 sleds to 4 dealers... get real LOL.

YES I know *some* dealers like Country Cat... probably only Country Cat, do volume like that.

Article also says something about 21,000 sleds sold from 2007-2014, thats less than 3,000 sleds a year. Not sure if the lawsuit only pertains to Procross/climbs, if thats the case its be more like 2011-2014 I guess.

Gonna be a tough deal for Cat, they NEED to sell all the sleds they can... I bet in the western US over the last 5 years I have seen 20+ Doos/Poos to 1 Cat.

2022 Cat, don’t screw it up... better be a new chassis and some forced air.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The 2007-2011 sleds affected are the pyramid framed trail and utility sleds, not the M-series mountain sleds. Procross/proclimb from 2012 to current model years. Cat has a serious dealer shortage up north from what I could tell. When I was up riding revelstoke two years ago and my sled went down with an electrical issue I had to drive an hour and a half to the nearest cat dealer. For as much sledding as there is I couldn't believe there wasn't one right in Revy. Dealer I did go to mis-diagnosed my sled to boot. Ended up renting a Doo to ride while they were working on it and missed a few more days of riding.

Maybe this will push them to mid-season release something new like Doo did with the turbo last year? Hopefully Covid didn't kill their testing too much last spring for that to happen. Shouldn't be an abundance of overstock on the floor to hurt the dealers right now with a mid-season release. Well...until all those would-be Canadian sleds are pushed on them.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Ehhh, 750 sleds to 4 dealers... get real LOL.

YES I know *some* dealers like Country Cat... probably only Country Cat, do volume like that.

Article also says something about 21,000 sleds sold from 2007-2014, thats less than 3,000 sleds a year. Not sure if the lawsuit only pertains to Procross/climbs, if thats the case its be more like 2011-2014 I guess.

Gonna be a tough deal for Cat, they NEED to sell all the sleds they can... I bet in the western US over the last 5 years I have seen 20+ Doos/Poos to 1 Cat.

2022 Cat, don’t screw it up... better be a new chassis and some forced air.

Maybe a bit of a stretch!

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
The 2007-2011 sleds affected are the pyramid framed trail and utility sleds, not the M-series mountain sleds. Procross/proclimb from 2012 to current model years. Cat has a serious dealer shortage up north from what I could tell. When I was up riding revelstoke two years ago and my sled went down with an electrical issue I had to drive an hour and a half to the nearest cat dealer. For as much sledding as there is I couldn't believe there wasn't one right in Revy. Dealer I did go to mis-diagnosed my sled to boot. Ended up renting a Doo to ride while they were working on it and missed a few more days of riding.

Maybe this will push them to mid-season release something new like Doo did with the turbo last year? Hopefully Covid didn't kill their testing too much last spring for that to happen. Shouldn't be an abundance of overstock on the floor to hurt the dealers right now with a mid-season release. Well...until all those would-be Canadian sleds are pushed on them.
Revy doesn't have any sled dealers, all brands are an hour and a half away.
I can't speak to all of Canada but BC seems to have lots of Cat dealers still. All the stories I hear of Cat losing dealers and not treating them well seem to be in the US.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
So i dont fully understand why BRP would single out cat when the polaris has the same basic geometry as well. Ea h company offers a "pyramidal" fram design. It would be interssting to see if it is specific lengths, angles and hinge point that are the questionalble factor or if is just a "it looks like it" issue. Either way, as said farther up the string, its just not a good look for BRP and the sport.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I understand that an agreement has been reached and cats will start shipping north very soon.

Sent it

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Glad that everyone came to their senses on this one, just not good for the sport; We can now look forward to more positive things!!!

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Well, since they settled I suppose we will never know the details.

I really need Cat to turn the corner and do good things. They offer by far and away the two best kids sleds in the zr200 and the blast. I need them to stay in business, if nothing else, so they can keep selling those two sleds.

Premium Features