• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

broken primary spring

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
What would cause my primary spring to break? 18 Arctic Cat M8000. Its been replaced but wondering what I can look at to ensure it doesn't happen again or if there is something else wrong

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
What would cause my primary spring to break? 18 Arctic Cat M8000. Its been replaced but wondering what I can look at to ensure it doesn't happen again or if there is something else wrong

Wrong or bad spring or not installed correctly.

Did it fail immediately , over time . adverse conditions?

Ensure properly installed.

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
It broke within 200 miles I think. It was solid before I went out west, broken when I went to swap the weights back

Z
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, then probably defective spring, that's mighty short life for a primary spring.
But could check and compare both sets of weights bushings, the cover plate bushing, how the cover plate bolts torque down the cover, besides rollers.

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
I aced one too. White with red stripe. Made it 200 miles then lost rpms. Figured I'd drop some weight, but nope. The problem was spring broken. My guess, defective. But time will tell

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
primary clutch springs frequently break (even new ones) due to the end of the spring qouging the metal of the face plate, which causes the spring to bind and break...fix is to put a delrin washer between the spring and the face plate...i think
Thunder Products sells them...i put one in every new sled and since doing that, i've never had a drive spring break..

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
I always make sure that with both the primary and secondary springs, there are no sharp edges on the ends of the springs that can catch on the clutch and cause it to bind and break. I use a file and take down any sharp edges on the spring ends. I also install a delrin washer in the secondary. So far, so good.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
For any new primary spring, it will commonly have sharp edges at the ends that can bind it. Start by doing a figure 8 on 150 grit on flat surface for both ends. The take a fine file and chamber edges. Scotch brite to smooth it out...keeps it from binding. Also make sure you dont have a spring to large of diameter. Had a buddy with Ti spring that was a big to big and would bind and burn belts...went to correct sized spring and issue gone. 3 years plus with same spring now.

Premium Features