• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken or missing lugs

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
depends on how the rest of the track looks i think. if you ride enough in the mtns and do any kind of technical riding your going to spin on some logs or rocks. if one or two or three are cut clean off but the rest of the track is in good shape i wouldnt worry too much about it. if there are missing lugs and the other parts of it are cracked or starting to come apart than like IDspud said you would need to figure on buying a new track at some point in time.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
CB_Rob, you and I have the same question from opposite sides. I’m trying to decide if I want to sell my Summit as is or if I need to spend $1,500 and get a new track. I have 7 or 8 missing lugs. I assume if I put a new track on it it may make it easier to sell but will I sell it for $1,500 more than selling it as is? Or sell it a bit cheaper and let the new owner choose what track is best for them?
Decisions - decisions.

C
Sep 8, 2014
Crested Butte
I guess its a bigger deal if the drive bumps (what are these called) are intact
Ill probably still buy a sled with a paddle or 2 missing but steer away from 5 or 6 missing.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Broken or partially missing lugs is no big problem. That's just to be expected from a used off trail machine.

If, however, several lugs is completely missing down to the canvas/cord then you should strongly suspect that the track has overheated and has started to delaminate. If delamination has started it will continue!

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I'd say it depends on the manufacture too. I put 1000 miles on my power claw track last year that was missing 6+ lugs without issue. Those are stout tracks, and like others have mentioned, mine were clean cuts and I didn't have cords showing - which matters. I think some manufactures tracks may not be as robust.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
If the other lugs are showing cracks at the bases, they will also come off in the near future. One fairly new option as far as new tracks go is Composit, I was a little scared to go with one but not so scared as to not try something new. I found the M67 bites way better and floats much better than the Polaris Series 6 stock track at half the price. I didn't lose any track speed even though it's a thick 2 ply construction, been pleasantly surprised.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
A few paddles missing due to hitting something is not a big deal and pretty normal for a used sled. You will know they came off from hitting stuff because the paddle is ripped away at the base of the lug, but track is still intact. But, as said, if the paddle tore off from the base/core and you can see white cord/mesh, you will need a new track and that should be considered in the price. I've seen paddles tear from the base/core from over heating or driving at too high of a speed on an icy road (a friend threw about 10 lugs on an icy road one day going high speed).

Premium Features