• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brainerd area

D
Dec 30, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Hi, I want to pull the sleds to the Brainerd area in February. I need some feedback on places to stay. Where ever I stay, I want it to be directly on a trail. I don't want to trailer anywhere. I don't really care if it's the Paul Bunyan trail or some other. If you live in the Brainerd area, or know that area well, let me know what you think. Thanks....

treetopflyer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
You can stay at any of the small towns located on 371 from brainerd to hacken sack. all these towns are located directly on the paul bunyan trail. then the trails spur off all along the paul bunyan trail. theres Nisswa, Pequot lakes,jenkins,pine river, etc...... hope that helps.

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Brainerd area is pretty vague. The possibilities are pretty much limitless. Lodging varies from the hotel chains to high end resorts. The riding vary from spending your day cruising the various lakes, tight twisty trails, long railroad grade runs, or picking your way around the various ditches. I'm partial to the Gull Lake area as a base. You can go any direction, run the lake or use it to get to other trailheads, close to the Paul Bunyan if that's your thing, Pillsbury Forest is just down the road, etc... For lodging I'm partial to Kavanaugh's. They groom into the resort, Gull Lake is across the road, Pillsbury is three miles by trail, one of the owners is the president of the local trail association and is now vice pres of the state organization.

D
Dec 30, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Brainerd

Mysledblows: Thanks for the reply. I left it somewhat vague on purpose because I've considered Pequot Lakes, Nisswa and Brainerd/Baxter. Just don't know where to stay! I have looked at Kavanaughs...seems like a nice place.
One other note: are the sleds safe at night? I'm concerned about someone shopping parts off our sleds while we sleep...If we stayed at Kavanaughs, do we need to load them back on the trailer at night or is there a place to park them?

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
They have never really had any issues there. It's my in-laws place so I'm pretty familiar with the operation. I've left my stuff sitting out there numerous times through the years. They don't really have a sled parking area. Just park them at your room:)

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Carbides are fine on the Bunyan. Studs were prohibited but my wife just said she say something on twitter that they are now allowed so might want to double check it.

C
Sep 8, 2011
There are a lot of options in the Brainerd Lakes Area. Pretty much any place you stay will have some form of trail access. To help make the decision easier you may want to think about how you want to spend your time off the trail.

If you are coming up just to ride and nothing else so all you need is a room to sleep in id save some money and just choose a chain motel. Any of them on hwy 371 in Baxter will give you immediate trail access. Plenty of restraunts and bars options with a mile of them as well.

If you are looking at it as more of a vacation/getaway then it may be worth it to stay at one of the resorts around gull lake (brained/Baxter area) or pelican lake (breezy point area). Just google "gull lake mn resorts" and you'll see there are plenty of options. Take a look at each ones amenities (on site restraunts, bars, etc) versus the price and you'll figure out which one will work best for you.

Hope that helps.

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
I have a cabin less then 3 miles from down town Baxter. My suggestions is drive farther north and stay in Nisswa or farther up 371. Better trails and less ditch riding.

FYI we just got 15" this week and the riding was awesome. A little chilly!!!!

D
Dec 30, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Clayjk; Thanks for the input. My biggest 'unknown' since I've never been there, is hotel vs trail location. Once I park the truck, I don't want to have to mess with it. Your information is great. My wife, son and I are coming primarily to ride. Your information regarding hotels along 371 helps a lot. Thanks.

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
If you want to stay north of Brainerd a mile north of Pequot Lakes there is an americinn with a pool and hot tub. It's right across the road from the trail. There are are lot of great restaurants to eat at in the area. If you do get this way make a point to hit Pilsbury state forest and snoway 1 trails. It's beautiful miles of trails throughout the woods and rolling hills. Sometimes I forget how fortunate we are to ride out from our front yard.
http://www.americinn.com/Hotels/MN/PequotLakes

Last edited:
C
Sep 8, 2011
Clayjk; Thanks for the input. My biggest 'unknown' since I've never been there, is hotel vs trail location. Once I park the truck, I don't want to have to mess with it. Your information is great. My wife, son and I are coming primarily to ride. Your information regarding hotels along 371 helps a lot. Thanks.

If you are leaning towards hotel here are the two in Baxter that are right next to the trail.

Holiday inn express - http://www.brainerdhi.com
Arrowhead Lodge - http://arrowwoodbrainerdlodge.com

If you look at the trail map you'll see about 1/4mile north of the hotels following the hwy 371 ditch the trail splits to either go west or east. Heading west takes you directly over to Gull Lake area. To the east goes to Merrifield which you can either hit up the Paul Bunyan Trail to go north or south or better yet, follow the Merrifield trails which can head up to Breezy point, Crosslake, Crosby, or Emily and north from there.

As others have mentioned, you can't go wrong heading a little further north on 371 as we'll such as in Pequot Lakes either.

Last edited:
D
Dec 30, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Good Ole days Family Resort

Anybody have any input on this resort? It's on Lower Cullen Lake. The price is right and I think I can park the sleds right outside the patio door. I have one sled with a battery and want to be able to charge it at night.

Premium Features