• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brace kits... Do they really work?

A
Feb 11, 2017
Seward, Alaska
Curious if anyone has used the Ftx brace kit or a similar kit, and if so have they actually worked? I've researched this but can't find if somebody has still bent a tunnel even with a brace kit. Just want to know if it actually works and if it's even needed before I drop $150 into it.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great question, unfortunately I can't say but I added the front bulkhead brace as well as the rear tunnel braces to my 13. Figured it was cheaper to do that than deal with a bent tunnel.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Search for the FTX tunnel brace thread. I was convinced... so convinced I bought an extra when I ran across it thinking I would be getting another Pro... then I bought an Axys LOL. So the FTX kit I bought is brand new with everything included I have it up for sale now... it is not very hard to install and cheap peace of mind. Some guys even wrinkled their tunnel without even taking out their glued a-arms... yikes.

A
Feb 11, 2017
Seward, Alaska
Just noticed that my Pro's left land kick-plate has a slight bulge outwards, and the track is off-center to the right of the tunnel. Could my tunnel be slightly tweaked to the left? And if that's the case would the FTX brace kit fix the issue? Or at least keep it from getting any worse?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I can't remember who but someone made a tunnel plate that sandwiched the tunnel with an inner and outer plate. May have been vanamburg?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I can't remember who but someone made a tunnel plate that sandwiched the tunnel with an inner and outer plate. May have been vanamburg?
The FTX kit has a piece that goes on both sides to sandwich it in, and it is stainless. But it is the preventive system. If there is already significant bending the plate kit from Van Amberg is the larger plate system to straighten it out but some disassembly required to put it in... if I had some bending I would snap a picture of it and sent it to FTX to see if they think their kit would help or if I needed to do the full VA repair...

A
Feb 11, 2017
Seward, Alaska
I can’t see distinct bending anyplace on the tunnel or bulkhead, all I can see that could be a sign of a bent tunnel is the off center track and a slight bulge in the left hand kick plate. I’m not really sure it’s even bent besides those to signs.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I can’t see distinct bending anyplace on the tunnel or bulkhead, all I can see that could be a sign of a bent tunnel is the off center track and a slight bulge in the left hand kick plate. I’m not really sure it’s even bent besides those to signs.
Are you sure it wasn't that way before in terms of track off center? Manufacturing tolerances maybe? If track is off center then drive shaft might be off center due to that slight bulge, since drive shaft placement is controlled by that left side bearing retainer, I would check the quickdrive or chaincase sprocket alignment with a straightedge or something to see. If it is indeed misaligned then you may have accelerated QD belt wear or chaincase chain wear from that misalignment, and end up with a failure. Just spitballing...

P
Nov 20, 2016
foleyet. ontario
I put the ftx kit on my 15 pro 600. I did have a slight bow on the quick drive side. A set of c clamp vise grips while I installed the kit tightened everything right up while I riveted it. Simple kit. And it works . Worth my money I'd say and I'm not in the habit of doing things for nothing.

Premium Features