• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bought a used 2016 Timbersled - what fit kit works

N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
I recently bought a used 2016 ST that came with a fit kit for a suzuki. I found a 2012 ktm 450 sxf thats local and a great price. Bike has electric start and FI and real clean. Ive never installed a timbersled but form anyone who has do you think it will be a huge pain or not doable at all to mod the fit kit for the KTM?

IMG_3015.JPG

R
Nov 21, 2014
Oregon
I just did a quick google search of that bike and it says its not fuel injected. Not that it really matters, but confirm, might get a better deal.

N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
got it i will have to check the dimensions when i go to see the bike. Found a 2015 zuke 450 for cheaper so may just go that route and not have to worry about the kit

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Note of caution on the Zuke: friend mounted one up several years ago, about a 14 or 15. Ran it two or three trips to the hill with his new TS kit. Then one cold morning ( 15 degrees ), we fired up and headed up the trail. The guys Zuke, locked up. We messed with it, it seemed to loosen up, started it and ran all day no issue. Next day same deal, but when it locked up it was solid.
The explanation when we tore it apart, some of the Zukes had really fine fine oil screens, that in cold weather wouldn't let much or any oil flow and its in the bottom of the case, main oil pickup if I recall. Engine was near total junk. 3 years later its still in the corner, needs crank, barrel , cases.........etc etc.
Check that out. At the time we found quite a few posts about this issue and Zuke changed it later on If I recall ?

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Dont tons of people on here run the 450 zuke? I will have to look up that problem
Actually I would guess the Zuke is run LESS than any other "major bike" manufacturer as a snowbike. They have some loyal guys, I am not dissing them I am just saying the most-run bikes are: KTM/Husky; Yamaha; Honda; Kawi; others like Beta and a few others. I would guess Zuke is somewhere in that last category, or next-to-last category of the ones I've listed above. All have their pros and cons.

M
Jan 14, 2004
If you read any of the dyno testing, they are always down on power by quite a bit compared to any other bike and they always loose the shoot outs, 6th out of 6 most times.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I've never have seen a Suzuki in the dirt. I honestly thought they were out of the bike business a few years back but this year I have rode with 5 running on snow. They all seem to run great and start easy. One guy had 4000 miles on it and it and still going strong. They are cheap to buy as well.

The 12 450sxf won the mxa shootout that year despite being the only carburetor in the group. They said it had the best usable power. (Not the most)

N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
well i scooped a 2015 rmz450 yesterday and got the timbersled mounted up last night. Just have to finish putting the subframe and plastics back on and the front ski. For some odd reason the from wheel has been a huge pain to remove not sure what im doing wrong.

ill post some pics tonight when i get it all completed. How much gas do you guys bring usually on a day of riding with sleds? The bike comes with a tiny tank

N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
one more thing, do i absolutely have to run the prefilter on the air filter? my used fit kit didnt come with it and i want to rip it this weekend we have about a foot of fresh.

E
Dec 19, 2007
If you don't have super light pow back east then the filter cover is optional. I would Ride it without one if I had too just have the tools to take the filter out and bang the snow off if it clogs up

D
Apr 25, 2019
WA
08 rmz 450 here, only because it was a cheap bike I found to buy at the time last spring. Eventually found the valves were toast causing hard starting. Reworked head and new piston/cyl and it runs great. Starts reasonably well even cold. It pulls my kit just fine, but more power on a snow bike is what we all want after the first ride. :) I run a 17 raw lengthened to 129 with CMX track and Exit preload adjustable shocks. (again, found a deal)
I have the IMS plastic 2.6 gallon tank and a spare mountain addiction tank on the skid and have yet to run out. I found a spare airbox and cut the bottom out. I run a modified outerwear over the screen without a filter. I have a rough time on the icier trails with darting (more than I think everyone else has) but I think I'm close to figuing out the solution. Tomorrow will tell.
Oh yeah, push button start would be nice but not a deal breaker for me. One or two kick hot starts on the mountain most times.

Premium Features