• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boots for snowbike

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
I liked my Havocs. But, my bike doesn't have a kicker. To me, having to rely on electric socks or toe warmers is really short-sighted. If you get stuck out for a night, that stuff will stop working. The worry of frostbite is significant enough with well insulated waterproof boots, nevermind without.

Speaking of reliability, I don't like boa. I didn't have any trouble with my Havocs, but had there been another option I'd have gone with it. I found that flexing my feet around while cranking the boa definitely helped to even out the tension and get it tighter without feeling like I was going to break it.

I like those 509s, I'll probably pick up a pair of those when my Havocs are TU.

HenryTheHammer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
Super disappointed with my Klim. My Adrenaline Boas had the side wall blow out on the first ride and no there was no support from Kilm. Spent the season with Heavy rubber patch and vulcanizing rubber to keep the boot dry. Same with the wife's Aurora GTX's, those will be relegated to Snow shoveling boots this season as they have completely fallen apart after a season on the bikes.

Those 509 boots look sweet!

M
Jan 14, 2004
Has anybody seen the new 509 Velo Raid snow bike boot in person, or have you tried them on. Says they fit 1/2 size smaller. I tried the Klim boots again this week and they really just don't do it for me so looking for another option.

J
Dec 12, 2017
Boise
I just received my pair and they seem pretty sweet to me. Haven’t ridden yet but they seem to fit true to size. I have tried with a thick pair of socks and they are snug but I imagine will wear in some.

J
May 24, 2017
+1 for MX boots.

I'm going on my 6th year and have sported a MX boot for the past 2 (Alpinestars tech 6 - it is either leather or plastic everywhere). It's pretty easy to coat it with a waterproofing and then double up the socks. All other boots I've had would just get thrashed and didn't have protection.

Benefits - you won't break your ankle or foot!

If you ride somewhat aggressive, you will not have cold feet. If you're worried about spending the night, throw in a box of waterproof matches (also, if your current boots get thrashed from the snowbike, I guarentee you they will not keep out the moisture - so are you really ahead at the end?).

The Klims look nice but don't have enough protection for me. Alpinestars, make a snowbike specific boot! Take my money!

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
The Klims look nice but don't have enough protection for me. Alpinestars, make a snowbike specific boot! Take my money!

Alpinestars is releasing a waterproof Tech 7 by January 2020, according to Eric Kay at Racin' Station. I'm going to use my Toucan's until the the 7's are available.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
That would be sweet. I love my tech 7’s. hopefully they insulate them also. The 509’s have 200 grams and the havocs have 600 i believe. I don’t really want to rely on warm socks.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I picked up a set of the 509's to try. Price was right. 200g of insulation is 200 g more than my old boots. I always wear pure wool socks anyways, they continue to insulate even when wet, some of the miracle socks, not so much.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Interesting topic, Like most i was looking for a thin boot for better shifting, as of 2019 i had owned and had all the boots to try , several were snow bike specific like Havocs and other like motorfist Tobe Klims ect were sled and snow bike combination boots. After seasons of riding i found the thicker HMK Double Boa Summit best, Even though they are thicker in the toe bed and after simple shifter adjustment they were bone dry and warm and just as easy to change gears , Your feet are right in getting blasted with snow all day unlike a sled where they are tucked up behind the plastics and floorboards.

S
Jan 28, 2019
I love my setup and doubt I will switch over to bulky, expensive, "snowbike boots" that last for 1 season and get shredded either by spikes on footpegs or from the kickstarter.

I use a good brand of waterproof leather hunting boots, tall ones- goes well up past the ankle, and some thick snow gaiters on top. Good quality leather waterproofer applied after every ride or so. = lightweight, slim- no bulk, easy shifting, full range of motion for your ankles, comfy, lasts several years, use them for hunting also, much cheaper than klim, or other brands.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
are those Fly sector boots really even warm at 10 degrees??
I ordered a full size over my size and with warm socks they really surprised me and I run cold too. However our temps are usually a little warmer than 10. But you could go 2 sizes over. Insulation is insulation it makes the boot bigger either way so that way I got full protection boots that are warm and durable and saved 250$

A
Sep 25, 2009
Bend
mountaineering 101, socks for warmth, boots for protection. that being said I wear mid weight wool socks in my tech 7's.
haven't been cold or wet in 3 seasons.(temps between 10-40 degrees F.) I wouldn't want to spend the night or walk out in them but after clipping a few stumps and rocks that would have broken bones in lesser boots my mind is made up.

S
Dec 6, 2019
Been running the forma adventure boots all leather waterproof ordered a size big and wear two socks one cotton and one carhartt arctic pair feet are always warm and dry.

M
Jan 14, 2004
So I finally got around to picking up my 509 boots. Sizing is kind of unique. As shipped they are TIGHT but they have 2 insoles in them so pulling out the lower gives a bunch more space but if you have a wide foot like me expect a tight fit. I wear an 8/12 shoe and 9 boots usually fit me fine, 10 would be too big. My issue is my feet are like duck feet wide at the front and no heel. I'm going to wear them for a few days with no insoles until they break in. They don't have as much insulation as the Klims but they look as well or better built. The buckles seem thin but they work better than the Klim boa IMO, I cant get the Klims tight enough where I can crank these up. The sole is tough enough I think to stand up to a kick start, time will tell but this season I will be riding my estart bike mostly anyways. There is a plastic wedge shaped block to protect the lower buckle from getting ripped off, seems solid. The toe cap looks bomber and should be waterproof and should not wear through at the shifter. I got these boots for literally 1/2 of the price of the Klims and after trying them both on I likely would pick these if I was doing a blind test not knowing the price. All that remains is to see if the stand up or my feet freeze.

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
Having a kx500 with raised compression I wanted a true moto boot so I went with the sidi adventure 2 gore Tex adv boots.
Went a size big so I could wear thick wool socks. Also added a felt footbed on top of the stock footbed.
First ride was today and though it wasn't overly cold there was lots of warmer fresh snow that was a good test of water proofness and my feet were dry and toasty.
Lots of support for kick-starting and easy shifting. Like a toned down comfy moto boot, seems about perfect for snowbikes.
Now if only they would make them insulated....

Premium Features