• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boost exhaust removal for light weight can.

D
Dec 15, 2020
So I've changed cans on over 40 sleds over the years but the Boost has me stumped. I pulled the panels out as much as possible and loosened up the connection to the turbo and waist gait . I also pulled the spring behind silencer. Now Im stuck!! Do I pull the Turbo? Im not seeing an easy way here? Any advice or pictures would be helpful.. Thanks.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Found no instructional videos to help with turbo removal. Maybe the schematic will help if you see how it goes together. Online partszilla

Bikeman also has a video on use with the spring tool on an Axys non turbo.

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
Pull all springs to can including hard to see one in back. Pull springs from pipe to turbo. Pull springs from pipe to wastegate. Remove v-bands at can and wastegate . Remove wastegate bypass pipe. Pull clean air tube from top of turbo, easier to pull the 2 darts and remove airbox to free of space. Flex turbo up and out of the way and pull/wiggle can off the mounting post.

R
Sep 30, 2021
Washington
Pull all springs to can including hard to see one in back. Pull springs from pipe to turbo. Pull springs from pipe to wastegate. Remove v-bands at can and wastegate . Remove wastegate bypass pipe. Pull clean air tube from top of turbo, easier to pull the 2 darts and remove airbox to free of space. Flex turbo up and out of the way and pull/wiggle can off the mounting post.
You don't have to pull disconnect anything from the turbo except the pipe and the can. If you just remove the spring holding the pipe to the bumper it gives you enough flexibility that you don't need to remove the wastegate pipe from the can. The can sits on there pretty firm, just give it hell and wiggle back and forth while you pull up. The first time I removed far too many things.

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
You don't have to pull disconnect anything from the turbo except the pipe and the can. If you just remove the spring holding the pipe to the bumper it gives you enough flexibility that you don't need to remove the wastegate pipe from the can. The can sits on there pretty firm, just give it hell and wiggle back and forth while you pull up. The first time I removed far too many things.
Didn't want to tweak the intake hose or air box and it allows the turbo to move up easier. One hose clamp and 2 push darts, about 30 seconds to do. Same idea on the pipe. Didn't want to move it around since its not leaking at the Y. One V-band vs one pipe spring, 15 seconds. Together, less time than typing this.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Can wasn't bad but definitely the worst one i installed. Pulled 1 spring on can and sensor. 4 springs from pipe to turbo. 1intake clamp and i also pulled the 2 darts on intake and set it out of the way. Took v band off turbo and loosened other v band on bypass. Take 2 spring off that piece holding it to pipe. Lift turbo up and pull muffler. Put rubber off can back on bulkead and reinstall. Not a big deal. Hardest thing, i thought, was squeezing bypass band to get 10mm nut back on since band was different than the one on turbo.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
Can wasn't bad but definitely the worst one i installed. Pulled 1 spring on can and sensor. 4 springs from pipe to turbo. 1intake clamp and i also pulled the 2 darts on intake and set it out of the way. Took v band off turbo and loosened other v band on bypass. Take 2 spring off that piece holding it to pipe. Lift turbo up and pull muffler. Put rubber off can back on bulkead and reinstall. Not a big deal. Hardest thing, i thought, was squeezing bypass band to get 10mm nut back on since band was different than the one on turbo.
what about the ole lady’s Can?What she gettin?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I was going to PM you and see if you could come help me. I can pay you so maybe you can afford a down payment on a 9R so you don't have to keep talking about your old Axys.

Get paid to learn from an expert? I am all in. The cash will come in handy for stocking up on Axys parts. This crucial decision was made after taking advice of forum experts like you that the Matrix was a lag ridden boat anchor. I was so wrong about the new chassis.

This cash could also help me pay rent for storage of my 9R since it will be in museum status.

Double, fish-on

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have a stupid question... So the pipe between the wastegate just gets slid back on with the no gasket just the clamp cranked down? ? kind of hokey for $800.

Attachments

• 20220313_121009.jpg
    20220313_121009.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 59
Premium Features