• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Sidekick

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Had Mile High Powersports install a SideKick on my 2017 Gen 4 Summit X 165, picking up this week. Hoping to have similar track speed to my old custom built 1000cc mod sled, 70-90 mph track speed is a wonderful thing in the steep and deep.

Now just need some snow:face-icon-small-coo
Here's a Turbo polaris from this year. 40mph tops on a slow speed, wfo chew so 70-90mph on the dream o meter is not possible. Winders won't even do that.
That and at 76mph the clutches are at full lockout and the belt will blow as the belt goes too far in the secondary, hits the bolt/roller pin heads and she goes kablooey.
Don't shoot the messenger.
12014b39a0f0bd0096f5b4a93976f634.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Here's a Turbo polaris from this year. 40mph tops on a slow speed, wfo chew so 70-90mph on the dream o meter is not possible. Winders won't even do that.
That and at 76mph the clutches are at full lockout and the belt will blow as the belt goes too far in the secondary, hits the bolt/roller pin heads and she goes kablooey.

Yep had this discussion a few years ago with certain "salesman" telling me I should be seeing 70+MPH track speeds on my turbo etec. Did the math and overdrive with the old Summit was something like 67 mph on stock gearing. Most of that talk is total BS.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID

Would be interesting to see how much of the driven clutch surface was not used to see 40 mph and 8,550 rpm, logic dictates the belt only came up part way on the driven clutch.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Tree Thrasher,

Check with your local dealer about a demo opportunity. These forums can go sideways in about 10 seconds. That is why very few active people visit or discuss anything on here. You ask a simple straight forward question to owners of the Sidekick, then get the reply you got......

I represent the manufacturer so cannot answer as a customer, but yesterday on a demo, long deep climb held 63 mph. The bottom end and instant throttle response is what is so fun. Blip the throttle and jump logs and pillows. Super quick bottom end. Top screams like a turbo.

Where are you located? P.M. me and I will try to hook you up with a demo. You have to spend time on it first hand. Everything else is subjective.

Where did you find snow? I have an 850 and am looking at turbo options. When you going for your next demo ride?

Thanks

T
Aug 8, 2011
Would be interesting to see how much of the driven clutch surface was not used to see 40 mph and 8,550 rpm, logic dictates the belt only came up part way on the driven clutch.

Up on the driven? Think you are talking about drive clutch.

40mph at 8550 leaves one of 3 options. 1) it’s not upshifting for various reasons 2) It is upshifting but slipping 3) It’s geared in the basement

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Up on the driven? Think you are talking about drive clutch.

40mph at 8550 leaves one of 3 options. 1) it’s not upshifting for various reasons 2) It is upshifting but slipping 3) It’s geared in the basement

Yes sir! You are correct, meant drive clutch.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
After a slow start to the snow year, finally got a proper ride in.

The Boondocker Sidekick transformed my 165 inch Summit X into the sled I wished BRP would offer from the factory. The entire riding experience is improved and the engine delivers power and torque throughout the entire range of rpm. The extra power gets the sled up on the snow much better than the stock motor.

Boondocker has delivered a great product to the market.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Buddy of mine showed up last week with the Boondocker installed on his 850. He didn't say anything about it, but it didn't take long to figure out something had changed. After riding it, I was impressed with how well it ran. Crisp throughout the power band with instant throttle response and zero turbo lag. It was controllable in the trees and the top end power was insane. Quieter than a lot of the can's out there also.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Good that you guys are having good luck with them.
Not so much here.
Local Doo/Boondocker dealer has installed three on 850 Doos this year, 2 burned down within 100 miles. Injector issue on one, haven't figured the other one out yet. Boondocker originally seemed good about it, admitted that they have had some issues, wanted pictures, said that they would take care of it if it was due to their "issues." They wanted pics and info. Since getting the pics, ZERO communication, won't answer the phone or emails. ****ty in my opinion. One of the quotes from customer: "That was a complete waste of $5000."
Anyone else?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Not so much here.
Local Doo/Boondocker dealer has installed three on 850 Doos this year, 2 burned down within 100 miles. Injector issue on one, haven't figured the other one out yet. Boondocker originally seemed good about it, admitted that they have had some issues, wanted pictures, said that they would take care of it if it was due to their "issues." They wanted pics and info. Since getting the pics, ZERO communication, won't answer the phone or emails. ****ty in my opinion. One of the quotes from customer: "That was a complete waste of $5000."
Anyone else?

Those guys should have bought Silbers… They run flawless... :face-icon-small-dis

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Mine has been flawless but buddy just did one on his 850. His first turbo. He had the boost at 7 and took his reeds out on his first ride.

P
Feb 14, 2011
did you have to get your boondocker computer reflashed? mine is good in the mid but soft and bubbles down low and will lose RPM when climbing. Also the it will sometimes bog and then clean up after.

T
Aug 8, 2011
The boondockers are good if they are set up properly from the get go. And that doesn’t mean bolting the kit on as it’s sent out!!! We tried to explain a few of the flaws to boondocker but it fell on deaf ears. Wouldn’t surprise me if there are some issues out there not to mention the fact that most of the kits will never perform to potential.

That’s not too say it’s a bad kit, I really like them. They just aren’t quite a finished product yet. The devil is in the details!!!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Not so much here.
Anyone else?

I have been involved in some of the early info on these two kits. It has been discovered that there was a BRP issue with an injector, left side. I don't feel that is a Boondocker failure. Discovery was so solid that I believe BRP warrantied the repairs. The Boondocker Sidekick on the Doo's is very good. Reliable, dependable, excellent throttle response and consistent. If you or a friend has an issue with a sled, please reach out to tech support. Most issues are sled or install related. We will help find the source and get you up and Boosting asap ! Thanks

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
ran into a guy riding one, my riding partner on a stocker 850 wants turbo really bad and took this boondocker 850 for a rip. sounded like it ran clean, the price for the kit was a good price. when my buddy got back he said it ran clean but made no power almost stock like and said it was absolutely nothing compared to my turbo 800 axys at 6lbs. now with that being said I was shocked when he said it had no power and I would assume its a clutching thing. have a lot of guys been not running clutching supplied with 850 doo turbo kits? I want to help him get on the right track for turbo setup on his new 850 for next year

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Obviously something was wrong with the sled if he said it had no power. The difference between NA and turbo is substantial even at 5 lbs. I wouldn't say any of the Axys I have rode that have a low boost turbo make more power than my turbo 850 but they do seem to have a substantially better bottom end but once the 850 lights up, its go time. I feel like I am beating a dead horse (but I really like all the bad post ratings these coneheads on here give me) from my experience a lot of guys who don't know how to ride or work on a turbo sled have a turbo that runs like garbage but they are completely delusional because they can't admit to themselves they spent 4-6k on something that doesn't work at all. So they ride around and are happy as long as their sled makes the turbo flutter noise (so you know they own a turbo) even though it is making less HP than stock and can't withstand any kind of WOT. Trust me when you ride a turbo that runs you won't be questioning if it makes anymore power than stock :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features