• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blown motor 2018, melted oil line UNDER the motor

C
Jan 14, 2020
20 miles and 2 hrs into trip, water temp was 105F.
Stopped for 30 seconds, started it and took off at a 15 mph clip. 20 feet later it beeped and flashed "rev limit" then immediate power loss and I slapped the killswitch.
Locked up with maybe 10° rock back and forth. Took out the motor today and found a broken oil line which I guessed was the problem on the way home.

also, all i needed was a new rod and bearing. why the HELL cant you buy a rod and bearing instead of an $1800 crank? seems like swindle/fraud/etc.

How did this little section catch fire UNDER the motor? Y-pipe line to water pump was completely fine.

melted wide.jpg melted.jpg

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks for posting on this - might be an issue that we all want to look into. Can you help clarify some things in your post?

You say in your post that you "took out the motor today...." "Today" is April 11, 2020. You posted almost this exact same post on DooTalk a week ago on April 4, 2020, and said that you "took out the motor today...." You also received a lot of responses on Dootalk.

Are we talking the same sled here or two different sleds?

You also posted on DooTalk today, and said:

"UPDATE: Ordered a new motor and am replacing all the oil lines with 450F degree oil line and sleeving with 1000F ceramic or fiberglass sleeving. Will also be wrapping Y pipe and top section of pipe, along with a new exhaust donut."

Are you ordering a new motor or getting an "$1800 crank?"

Thanks.

Last edited:
C
Jan 14, 2020
Same sled, copy and pasted most info.

1) Not a single dootalk reponse said anything about this oil line other than a possible fuel leak and fire. Everything i saw on dootalk, along with multiple oil threads on snowest are talking about the Y-pipe oil line to the water pump. This is not, and has NOTHING to do with the oil line near the Y-pipe.

1b) If there was a fuel leak and possible fire from said fuel leak, it would most likey have burned more than 2-3 inches of a single oil line, especially with another oil line 1/2 inch away and completely untouched. no fuel smell when the plastics removed at home.

2) And yes, asking the same question on a completely different forum, especially snowest since we have more mountain sleds may help me gain insight.

3) i never said i was buying a crank. "here you say you're getting an $1800 crank." I bought a motor instead since a crank is a ripoff instead of a single rod and bearing for ~$180?

Is there something wrong with posting on multiple websites with multiple different experts and users to avoid another $3000 engine bill on a $7000 snowmobile?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Same sled, copy and pasted most info.

1) Not a single dootalk reponse said anything about this oil line other than a possible fuel leak and fire. Everything i saw on dootalk, along with multiple oil threads on snowest are talking about the Y-pipe oil line to the water pump. This is not, and has NOTHING to do with the oil line near the Y-pipe.

1b) If there was a fuel leak and possible fire from said fuel leak, it would most likey have burned more than 2-3 inches of a single oil line, especially with another oil line 1/2 inch away and completely untouched. no fuel smell when the plastics removed at home.

2) And yes, asking the same question on a completely different forum, especially snowest since we have more mountain sleds may help me gain insight.

3) i never said i was buying a crank. "here you say you're getting an $1800 crank." I bought a motor instead since a crank is a ripoff instead of a single rod and bearing for ~$180?

Is there something wrong with posting on multiple websites with multiple different experts and users to avoid another $3000 engine bill on a $7000 snowmobile?

Nothing wrong with posting on different forums. Like I said, this may be an issue we need to be aware of it's a potential problem with the Doo 850s.

But your cut and pasting in two online forums made it sound like you were talking about two different sleds not one, that's why I pointed out what you said in your posts.

No offense intended.

Skidoox

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2001
Provo, UT
Did you smell gas before the oil lines melted?
I had to have the O-ring replaced on my fuel injectors on my 2018 850.

B

big_red1a

Oct 23, 2008
Is it possible that the oi line by the y-pipe melted inside the shielding and dripped down oil on the inside the shielding , pooling below your motor where it started on fire and caused the other oil line to be melted by the fire?

djm

Lifetime Membership
20 miles and 2 hrs into trip, water temp was 105F.
Stopped for 30 seconds, started it and took off at a 15 mph clip. 20 feet later it beeped and flashed "rev limit" then immediate power loss and I slapped the killswitch.
Locked up with maybe 10° rock back and forth. Took out the motor today and found a broken oil line which I guessed was the problem on the way home.

also, all i needed was a new rod and bearing. why the HELL cant you buy a rod and bearing instead of an $1800 crank? seems like swindle/fraud/etc.

How did this little section catch fire UNDER the motor? Y-pipe line to water pump was completely fine.

I am assuming the rod/crank journal on the PTO/clutch side of the engine went.. and it got extremely hot? Journal blued and burnt and the crank case in that area got hot too???

C
Is it possible that the oi line by the y-pipe melted inside the shielding and dripped down oil on the inside the shielding , pooling below your motor where it started on fire and caused the other oil line to be melted by the fire?
yes i did see that . here i do snomobil tinning as a side job in my shop and my buddy got BC 2019 new . so i clean oily clutch chek everyting up but did not see oil line was near y pipe . so i test ride it for 2 to 3 mille in my feels and park it in the shop . oil was dripping and it was the oil line that was burned up . no motor damage but if we went out riding we would never see it and we can have motor or fire going on . i know it the line that oil the water pump drive but still . i know some 2017 oil pump damage were due from bad line bleading becuse it only get oil wen tank is full . bad consept in my opinion the oil line have to be lower conected to the oil tank not on top of it .

C
Jan 14, 2020
Did you smell gas before the oil lines melted?
I had to have the O-ring replaced on my fuel injectors on my 2018 850.

no, i did smell a burning plastic/rubber smell for about 5-6 seconds a few minutes before this while cruising 20ish mph. it went away and i assumed i burned/wearing in the brand new belt.

nope, the whole Y-pipe oil line is completely intact under the foil/ceramic heat shield.

Still dont have a reason for this except maybe the exhaust donut wasnt fitting the exhaust pipe very well for some reason, and a specific jet of hot exhaust was shooting right under the motor.

I am assuming the rod/crank journal on the PTO/clutch side of the engine went.. and it got extremely hot? Journal blued and burnt and the crank case in that area got hot too???

Yes, Big end rod blued, bearing tore up and squished, crank looks like it would be back in business with a polish/maybe a small cut and oversized bearing. rod is deformed, not out of round but the edges are mushroomed out and have a slightly bigger diameter than the inside journal. Cases are completely fine, tested the oil injection ports and they are all letting oil in (using a syringe and not a ton of pressure)

Ordered a used shortblock from a guy on dootalk and will put a new topend in it, and call it a day I guess. probably trade it in on a 2020 this coming season. sled was bitchin for the 30 miles i ran it in 2 trips lol.

Premium Features