• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blackhills Conditions #3

R
Dec 23, 2014
Watertown, SD
Feb 28 out of trailshead

Rode north on 1, went as far as Spearfish Canyon restaurant. Consistent hard crust under 8 to 10 inches of new snow. Crust seems to protect from stumps, but not enough snow to carve or sidehill. Still had fun. thanks Deadwood see you in a couple weeks.

E
Jan 28, 2015
Rode out of spearfish canyon resort, went down to trails head on 1, and rode back on 4. Found well more than 14in off of trail 4 in certain spots with a good base.

U
Dec 12, 2007
Custer, SD
Sorry I didn't get any pics loaded on Friday. Here ya go:
First pic is near Trail 5 a few miles south of Rec Springs, second pic is on the hill behind Rec Springs, and third pic is also on Trail 5 a few miles west of Dumont. Had to cut the ride short to go pick up a sick kiddo from daycare...looks like more snow on the way tomorrow.

IMG_20150227_100900258.jpg IMG_20150227_102204266.jpg IMG_20150227_113411233.jpg

8hundo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2001
Sturgis, SD
Found okay snow Sunday south of Savoy. Planning to go up after work tomorrow and see what developed out of this coming storm.

IMG_2088.jpg IMG_2087.jpg

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
left from Savoy, the trail down there was THIN, got up in the hills and no didn't find any over the hood snow (wink wink), in the trees was excellent (WATCH OUT FOR LAND MINES ) had a great day with a lot of miles, not many of them on the trail.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
There is decent snow in the trees but you still really have to watch what you are doing to avoid tearing off A arms. Beats staying home.

Bergness08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2014
What areas are you guys finding the best riding in the trees? (North, South) Our group can only come out for a day and a half, so it would be helpful to know which way to point the compass. :) Thanks

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Had heard reports of 4-6 inches new snow yesterday. Snow must have been very light and fluffy. Today it looked like 1-3 inches of new snow. Still some good areas to ride if you look for them. Picture was taken between Trailshead and Spearfish Canyon. I wasn't stuck until I stopped to take the picture. I unscrewed the antenna rolled it down hill reinstalled the antenna and drove away. Easily 4 foot of snow at that location.

009.jpg

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Pretty quite on the trail updates.. Safe to say despite all the ups and downs of the season.. It was a success. Made it out early Jan and then for Tuckers 100th, Had a blast! Cant wait for 2016 season. 75th rally will be here before you know it.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Had one person jump to the next season a little early. Left the truck abandoned crossways on the trail on a blind inside corner. Called a wrecker and one of our snowcats. We started to drag the truck down the trail to the wrecker when a second pickup drove down the trail to our location to pull out the stuck pickup. Expensive day for them with 2 tickets, 4 hours of snowcat time and a wrecker bill. I am honing and cleaning cat cylinders tonight after my AC ate a piston last Thursday night. Expect parts on Thursday and will reassemble on Friday. I expect the season to be mostly done for most snowmobilers except for the locals. There will be some riding next weekend but will be limited to select areas around Trailshead mostly meadows and trees. I would expect we will still get a good spring storm or two but you have to be able to hit it quick. I expect grooming to be done unless the weather turns cold and snowy for an extended period after next weekend.

001.jpg 002.jpg

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Most anything within 10-15 miles of Trailshead is rideable as long as you do not have to rely solely on trails. Meadow are holding up. The trees were getting soft and rotten in places today. I would expect this is not the end just a delay. I expect some snow yet by the end of March. It is not even the 15th yet. You just have to take advantage of the snow when it does show up.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Rode yesterday. Very mushy and sloppy. Base was rotting. Trails are done on many spots. Parking lot at Trailshead was a mud bog, trucks were getting stuck. It never got colder than the 40's last night. I left Hardy this morning and checked fisherman and beach goers at Angostura. Kids and families were playing on the beach and wading in the water. Many more boats on the lake than snowmobiles in the hills. Today was Trailshead's last day of the season. Other than riding some packed meadows around trailshead or in the trees if it cools down the season is currently done unless we get a good spring dump. It is only March 15th, I would expect a spring storm before the end of March. However if you do not hit it quick the ground is warm enough it will not last long. 83 degrees here in Hot Springs today. Feels strange working in a short sleeve shirt instead of Klim gear.

Premium Features