• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blackhills Conditions #1

maasyoak2

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2017
Any snow in the forecast this week? Wouldn't mind riding a few days and go to the deadwood shootout.

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Lodges are claiming 4-8" from this last storm but the snotels barely moved, how is it looking out there?

maasyoak2

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2017
Sounds like the hills have been getting snow off and on might be worth taking a trip out there!! Anyone been riding??

Jan 25, 2008
bis nd
riding black hills

had a awesome time in the hills trails are great and off trail is awesome chest deep snow . rode from deadwood . rode 3 days did not hit a stump. will be back shortly to ride more

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
had a awesome time in the hills trails are great and off trail is awesome chest deep snow . rode from deadwood . rode 3 days did not hit a stump. will be back shortly to ride more

The steamboat thread is in the Colorado section, classic mistake.

Took a 10 year old out this weekend and North facing hills have decent snow, still a lot of stuff to hit out there, typical hills riding. We were north the whole time, maybe south is a different story.

Sidenote- there is some really cool/steep terrain on that last leg to spearfish canyon. Would be awesome to ever get enough snow to ride that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
The snow depth in the Hills will defiantly give you a false sense of security. One minute your doing cookies like a mofo and the next minute you have been launched over the handle bars and the front half of your sled is completely smashed. Then its time to sit by the overweight house cat at Buckhorn and have a whiskey....

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
Thinking of going up tomorrow to check it out. Been snowing like a b*tch in Deadwood all day today. Anyone gonna be around? Suppose to be like -10 windchill though.

maasyoak2

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2017
Thanks for the reports guys!!! I hope the hills keep getting a snow!! The hills need a good year it's been to long!!

whizzer182

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2011
We rode Saturday and Sunday mostly between Spearfish Canyon Lodge and Trailshead. Had snow over the hood in a lot of areas, but still have to be careful of stumps.

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Rode today from trailshead snow over the hood. On the trails we were the first down them many spots over 3 feet deep. Reminded me of riding In the snowies In late Dec.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 183

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
With all of the new snow, heavy drifting and several nights of no visibility the groomers are currently behind. There has been several Sno-Cat stucks since the weekend and several shifts were missed due to the poor conditions. 3 cats are out today to help catch up. They are sending one South without a drag to punch holes in the open areas that have drifted in bad. I looked at the Blind Park snotel site which shows a snow depth of 32 inches. I looked at past years records which go back to 2004. This is the first time the site has seen depths in the 30's in January. The deepest snow depth recorded at the site was 45 inches on 4/12/08.

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Day 2 was epic. Snow cop is correct the awesome grooming staff has their work cut out for them. Many trails were like riding off trail. Found a couple of meadows where it was all of 4.5 to 5 feet deep. This was in the top 3 rides I've ever had.
P.s. snow cop massive tree across trail 3 2 or 3 miles south of Riflepit canyon, Wagon Canyon intersection definitely need a chain saw.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
I rode out of Spearfish Canyon Lodge. Stayed North almost all day. Didn't get too crazy since I was alone.

Conditions remind me of mid February all the way back in 2013. Good stuff.

In the pic of me my feet aren't touching the ground quiet yet. So was more then chest deep in this area.

Attachments

• 57048685814__5B15BDF8-A3C6-4C9B-BEB5-8D2DEE6FA327.JPG
    57048685814__5B15BDF8-A3C6-4C9B-BEB5-8D2DEE6FA327.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 177

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Day 2 was epic. Snow cop is correct the awesome grooming staff has their work cut out for them. Many trails were like riding off trail. Found a couple of meadows where it was all of 4.5 to 5 feet deep. This was in the top 3 rides I've ever had.
P.s. snow cop massive tree across trail 3 2 or 3 miles south of Riflepit canyon, Wagon Canyon intersection definitely need a chain saw.

Thanks, The groomer should get to that one tonight. They carry a chainsaw on the Sno-Cat when they groom. The groomer was suppose to get through 3 last night but got stuck and did not make the loop.

Premium Features