• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blackhills condition #4

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Storm was much weaker than originally predicted. 3-4 inches new snow at Hardy, a little more maybe 5-6 inches further North. Less to the South. A few inches of snow is predicted for tomorrow. Today I downloaded and removed traffic counters on the trail. Rode 120 miles. Parked the patrol sled for the season with over 8400 miles on it (4200 this season). Now cleaning the Hardy cabin and packing my stuff for the year. Unless I get called back up for a search and rescue mission I am done working in the snow. Time to deal with campers, boaters and fishermen. I may sneak back up to ride for fun if we get a good spring storm. Thanks to everyone for another great snowmobile season.

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
duane we are for sure coming for this weekend!!!(gotta try out my new sled!) can we still ride the trails as marked and just not private property? just don't want to step on any land owners toes! thanks for all your updates and service! u r truly an asset to the snowmobiling community!

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
duane we are for sure coming for this weekend!!!(gotta try out my new sled!) can we still ride the trails as marked and just not private property? just don't want to step on any land owners toes! thanks for all your updates and service! u r truly an asset to the snowmobiling community!

Same questions, considering heading up tomorrow if the roads are not too bad.

What sled did you get? Seen some pretty amazing deals lately.

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
What sled did you get? Seen some pretty amazing deals lately.[/QUOTE]

switched to a Polaris pro 2013 600. going to try a Polaris gonna be a change coming off cat! feel like a 10 year old on x mas eve watching it snow and no that I cant ride it till the weekend.:frown:

Last edited:

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
I asked Duane this about a week ago.........

i have a question for you. Season ends at the end of march, but what does that mean? Does The trails are no longer groomed, the Trailshead is closing I know that, but is it against the law to come and ride?

Just not sure on what it means. We are coming this weekend also, large group of 10-15

Sasktoolman

This was his reply:

End of the season means trail maintenance and grooming are done. Crews will start removing signs and shelters (except for the diamonds). Any leases we have through private lands expire and some will be gated back shut. There is no prohibition on riding Forest Service lands and snowed in roads after March 31. Riding trails that cross private property after 3/31 can result in a trespass charge if the land owner wants it pursued. The portion of the trail that is on the Mickelson Trail (rail to trails conversion near Lead and Deadwood) is closed to snowmobiles after 3/31 by State law.

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
from what I understand u can ride any forest service property and road as long as its marked that way. any private property sings that run across even on trails must be obeyed. but I am not 100% sure on that.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I asked Duane this about a week ago.........

i have a question for you. Season ends at the end of march, but what does that mean? Does The trails are no longer groomed, the Trailshead is closing I know that, but is it against the law to come and ride?

Just not sure on what it means. We are coming this weekend also, large group of 10-15

Sasktoolman

This was his reply:

End of the season means trail maintenance and grooming are done. Crews will start removing signs and shelters (except for the diamonds). Any leases we have through private lands expire and some will be gated back shut. There is no prohibition on riding Forest Service lands and snowed in roads after March 31. Riding trails that cross private property after 3/31 can result in a trespass charge if the land owner wants it pursued. The portion of the trail that is on the Mickelson Trail (rail to trails conversion near Lead and Deadwood) is closed to snowmobiles after 3/31 by State law.

Thanks; that saves me some typing. There was 4-5 inches of new snow by the time I left Hardy this morning at 10am and it was still snowing hard. The crews that were out removing signs reported seeing 10 inches new snow to the South. If you come this weekend Buckhorn should be the only thing open on the hill. Canyon Springs has backed off their hours to supper only. All of the intersection and "you are here" signs have been removed.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Thanks Duane for all your updates and posts, also thank you for not writing me a ticket for the things I may or may not have done wrong riding the hills this year.

You have any specific details? I still have some tickets in my snowmobile ticket book that are missing names, dates, and violations. :face-icon-small-hap

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
my folks were out last weekend and said it wad decent typical spring riding and I was out 2 weeks ago and it was a lot of fun. not really any powder riding just typical march snow cones. I seen on canyon springs Facebook page said they had 10 inches of snow yesterday. id say riding should be very doable. just wouldn't expect over the hood fresh. but hey it is april!!!! hope to see u out there.

Premium Features