• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills... maybe some snow??

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Unloaded at Savoy and went to Trailshead. Hit several of the meadows south of trail 4 in the Dry Lake/Gulch country. These meadows were largely untouched. Plenty of available powder but the landmines are prevalent. It seemed everytime I went off road or trail, I could feel the stump or rock. I would be very careful of off-trail still. All in all a very fun day. Still plenty of untouched snow if you know where to go.

Trails were in very good shape. Kudos to the state grooming program.

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
will be going up on saturday and sunday.. going to a little secret spot:D.. that always has good snow.. and only a hand full of people know bout :pwill post pics sat. or sun. night

M
Nov 27, 2007
backcountry

How's the snow holdin up with the warm temps? Still worth a 5 hour drive to boondock or too many land mines yet?

Firetrail. If this storm next week doesn't drop significant snow is it worth coming or waiting for more? I know more is better but if it's decent I hate to pass it up next weekend. Prolly ride Saturday with ya if it works out.

Thanks for any info guys and THINK SNOW!:D:beer;

B

BoondockinDragon

Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
How's the snow holdin up with the warm temps? Still worth a 5 hour drive to boondock or too many land mines yet?

Firetrail. If this storm next week doesn't drop significant snow is it worth coming or waiting for more? I know more is better but if it's decent I hate to pass it up next weekend. Prolly ride Saturday with ya if it works out.

Thanks for any info guys and THINK SNOW!:D:beer;

Rode from Deerfield to Buckhorn today and I would wait for another good snow..Trail riding is good but off trail is very risky in my opion!!!!:D

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
Went out yesterday and had a great time, over the hood snow most of the day, it did warm up in the afternoon. It is supposed to snow on Monday and Tues so keep dancing.

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Our group found some good snow west of Big Hill near Cement Ridge. Found some hood deep snow outside of Savoy as well. This area hadn't seen tracks all season. Really good snow.

We also found lots of stumps too however. Still good riding, but it's time to snow again.

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
rode both yesterday and today... found some pretty good snow around.. however today it really started to setup.. so if we get some more.. shouldn't have to worry about as many landmines :D

S
Dec 19, 2007
We rode out of Recreationnal springs Sat. and put on 120 miles on and off trail. The trails and power lines were in really good shape. Be careful when going off trail there is no base. Out of four sleds only i broke my trailing arm. All in all a good trip.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hello :
Had some family issues to deal with this weekend so I did not get to ride. It was very warm and it probably melted a lot of snow. Not necessarily a bad thing when we had a lot of very loose powder that needed to be firmed up. I will be up on the trails the next 3 days so I will see how they stood up to what I would assume was very heavy traffic over the weekend.

M
Nov 27, 2007
off trail riding

Thanks for the post firetrail. At this point our group is prolly 50/50 as we're looking for good off-trail riding. I would assume the northern area is better?

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hello:

There is little doubt that we will be getting a lot more snow in the coming month and maybe conditions will be very good again. The temps were very warm this weekend and the wind was BLOWING. It is still blowing this am. It is suppossed to get cold this afternoon into the week. That will slow any more loss of snow but will not produce any more. Mother nature will have to take care of that. Many people have been riding in the Big Hill, Cement Ridge, Savoy area because that is where we got the first big snows. They got used to riding there. The last couple snows were better in the Trailshed and South area. I found the best snow to actually be south but not too far south. trail 3,12 and 13 were excellent and less traffic than in the north. I would be pretty sure that there is untraveled snow in the Stanton area if you know where that is. I have not seen the condition of the trails or the off trail areas since late last week so I cannot tell you much but I would assume that certain areas in the north got pounded .

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
Hello:

There is little doubt that we will be getting a lot more snow in the coming month and maybe conditions will be very good again. The temps were very warm this weekend and the wind was BLOWING. It is still blowing this am. It is suppossed to get cold this afternoon into the week. That will slow any more loss of snow but will not produce any more. Mother nature will have to take care of that. Many people have been riding in the Big Hill, Cement Ridge, Savoy area because that is where we got the first big snows. They got used to riding there. The last couple snows were better in the Trailshed and South area. I found the best snow to actually be south but not too far south. trail 3,12 and 13 were excellent and less traffic than in the north. I would be pretty sure that there is untraveled snow in the Stanton area if you know where that is. I have not seen the condition of the trails or the off trail areas since late last week so I cannot tell you much but I would assume that certain areas in the north got pounded .

i quite often find better riding down south and its nice cuz everybody else is always up north so we usually have the south to ourselves. some fun firetrails down there and some good jumps. but none of you heard this.. the good snow is always up north remember that ;)

D
Jan 4, 2008
MN
Our group found some good snow west of Big Hill near Cement Ridge. Found some hood deep snow outside of Savoy as well. This area hadn't seen tracks all season. Really good snow.

We also found lots of stumps too however. Still good riding, but it's time to snow again.

Anything has to be better than last year. I hit so many stumps. Screwed up some a arms and left some nasty bruises, like my entire thigh. So hitting a few here and there is nothing. We rode more south last year and we found a lot of nice areas to ride. We like to go off trail and explore. Go from trail to trail using the hills, valleys, and woods. We rode the trails so much there that we like to off trail it more now. Man we found some fun areas and some areas we weren't suppose to be in, so we got out of there so we don't piss anyone off. And if you do back country it you can find some nice areas with good snow and good amounts. Last year was not so good for snow, but we did find some nice places to play in untouched areas. Well a 2 days to go before we head out. If anyone is going to be out there look for my sled, pic of it in the avator or my profile. We like to stop at Trailshead and eat each day.

Last edited:
R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Anything has to be better than last year. I hit so many stumps. Screwed up some a arms and left some nasty bruises, like my entire thigh. So hitting a few here and there is nothing. We rode more south last year and we found a lot of nice areas to ride. We like to go off trail and explore. Go from trail to trail using the hills, valleys, and woods. We rode the trails so much there that we like to off trail it more now. Man we found some fun areas and some areas we weren't suppose to be in, so we got out of there so we don't piss anyone off. And if you do back country it you can find some nice areas with good snow and good amounts. Last year was not so good for snow, but we did find some nice places to play in untouched areas. Well a 2 days to go before we head out. If anyone is going to be out there look for my sled, pic of it in the avator or my profile. We like to stop at Trailshead and eat each day.

I would certainly agree that this year is much better than last. It just seems like my sled is a stump magnet this year.

Let me know if you want the code to the not so secret riding area with no tracks. Really good snow in there.

Y
Jan 19, 2008
Black Hills, SD
Rode yesterday from Savoy, I thought it was pretty good! Riflepit canyon (cuts across between trails 1 & 3 North of Trailshead) was really good close to the trail 3 side, was more tracked up near the trail 1 side.

Premium Features