• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Racked up the first miles of the season. 74 miles breaking trails. Snow over the hood all day. I am guessing they received somewhere around 20-24 inches here at Hardy Camp. Hard to tell exactly with the wind and the settling. I am measuring 16 inches on the level tonight around Hardy camp. Inspected trails down through Black Fox, Dumont and back. Still feel gravel and rock in some areas. No base yet. Came across 1 wrecked sled today, hit a stump. I got too greedy knocking off trails for inspections and had to come in 2A after dark. Big mistake. Still snowing and blowing. Snow over the hood covering the headlight making it even harder to see. Some areas were drifted 3 feet. Got stuck twice. Once to stop and clean the headlight, spun down to the ice. Second time missed the trail, snow was drifted 3 feet deep, could not pin it due to no base and too many rocks and stumps. Was stuck a 3rd time in the ditch in front of Trailshead at the parking lot approach. Drifted in deep through the day.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I have finished inspections on the central and North part of the system (Dumont, Black Fox, Mallo Camp, Big Hill, Cement Ridge, Spearfish Canyon). All was done by snowmobile 275 miles. The deepest is the 10 mile radius around Trailshead. Snow has settle a lot since Wednesday. Some of the groomer crew was out clearing trees and pulling a drag with them. The areas they packed left a good trail base unless there were rocks under the snow. Still some Forest Service gates closed across the trails on Trail 1 North and on trail 3. They will be opened on the 15th.

sledslayer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 13, 2011
Thanks for your updates. Hopefully heading out with the family on the 26th.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
i know conditions can change in a hurry in the black hills but as of now could you unload and ride from big hill parking lot outside of spearfish? Planning a trip the 28th

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
i know conditions can change in a hurry in the black hills but as of now could you unload and ride from big hill parking lot outside of spearfish? Planning a trip the 28th

I rode up to Big Hill on Friday. Had snow all the way up trail 1 and back on trail 3. Some thin spots where my carbides were bumping rocks but not bad for early season.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
If your traveling from very far right now don't bother. They need more snow badly and some cold weather.

X
Jan 1, 2011
ND
Is it looking pretty bad right now? Family members and I are planning on coming 25th to the 30th and staying at Spearfish Canyon Lodge.

Hoping the groomer got out and packed a base so if we get some snow between now and then it would be ok...?

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Lots of rocks on the trails, grass sticking through, no base. Going off trail is not possible with out totally destroying your sled.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
They groomed today. Plans are to groom again Thursday night. They received 3-4 inches of snow last Saturday with possibly more to the South. Chances of snow tomorrow night into Thursday then turning cold.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Conditions have improved from last weekend. Groomers were out last night. The trail out of Spearfish Canyon was in good shape last week and should be better this week. You still are going to bump some rocks and scratch some gravel in areas. 2-4 inches predicted for tonight. Saw a lot of rental sleds yesterday from Trailshead and Spearfish Canyon.

Premium Features