• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 2

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Snotel at Rapid Creek road, which is 1/2 mile from Trailshead, says 4". My friend who works in Lead says they got close to a foot there but it was wet and melting fast. Hills riding has been pretty much done for the past 2 -3 weeks. Trail system will close on 3/31.

The N Rapid Creek snotel site is not near Trailshead but is located South of Dumont. Trailshead received 3-4 inches new snow. !0 inches down by Deerfield but they have no base. 1-3 inches predicted tonight, 1-3 tomorrow and 1-3 for tomorrow night. Warm again for Sunday and Monday. Hills riding has not been done but good portion of trail riding has been done. I was told that Trailshead will be closed for the Easter weekend but I have not been able to verify that yet. I will be up to Hardy tomorrow.

S
Mar 6, 2015
Iowa
we are thinking about making one last minute trip from Iowa to anywhere with snow. Close is obviously better. Is it worth coming to the Black Hills? If so, where should we go? I think our next best option is all the way to Laramie. (However, Sioux City just got hit with 14 inches!! LOL) Thanks for any help in advance!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The snowies will definitely have better snow but you will find ridable snow in the Hills. Your best bet will be to ride out of Trailshead or Buckhorn. You will have a 10-15 mile radius to ride. The less you have to rely on trails the better ride you will have. Sunday will warm up and it will get sloppy quick.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Snow

Snowshell:

I was in the Snowy Range for 4 days 2 weeks ago. We rode all days in untouched snow. That was when many of the snotels by Medicine Bow were reading 70 to 80 inches. As of today they are reporting close to a 100 inches. It gas been snowinq continually and it looks like another foot in the next few days. The riding on the Centennial side was great. Trails had 1-3 feet of base and off trail looked to be 6 feet plus base in many areas not counting what was on top. I know where I would go and want to try and get out there again some time in April. Sure it is a longer drive but gas is cheap. 2 conditions in a 15 mile radius with 3 to 12 inches of snow or 9 conditions in a 50 mile radius with 60 to 100 inches of snow.

Sorry Duane about he location of the RC snotel. You are correct. The Blind Park site shows 9" today. I had almost that much in my driveway this morning.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Snowshell:

I was in the Snowy Range for 4 days 2 weeks ago. We rode all days in untouched snow. That was when many of the snotels by Medicine Bow were reading 70 to 80 inches. As of today they are reporting close to a 100 inches. It gas been snowinq continually and it looks like another foot in the next few days. The riding on the Centennial side was great. Trails had 1-3 feet of base and off trail looked to be 6 feet plus base in many areas not counting what was on top. I know where I would go and want to try and get out there again some time in April. Sure it is a longer drive but gas is cheap. 2 conditions in a 15 mile radius with 3 to 12 inches of snow or 9 conditions in a 50 mile radius with 60 to 100 inches of snow.

Sorry Duane about he location of the RC snotel. You are correct. The Blind Park site shows 9" today. I had almost that much in my driveway this morning.

Blind Park snotel is currently at 14 inches and Rapid Creek is at 16 inches.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Todays snow has only added about an inch as of this afternoon. It is suppose to snow yet tonight. Currently snowing lightly. It is true that Trailshead is closed for this weekend. Buckhorn is open. Put on approx 60 miles today. It is ridable if you know were to go I certainly would not call it good. I did get stuck though. Spent a hour digging out. I tried to follow a draw near the Blind Park Snotel. Ran into downfall and got stuck turning around. There was a little more than the 9 inches recorded on the Snotel. Used my sno-bunji and ratchet rope to get out. I made some mistakes I should not have done.

1. Should not have tried exploring an unknown draw by myself. Especially with weather coming in and with the lack of other snowmobile traffic.
2. Should have checked my equipment closer. Found out my shovel blade was missing.
3. Being complacent and over confident with the marginal snow conditions.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Just got back from Hardy Camp. Cabin is cleaned up for the winter and my stuff moved out or put away. Parked my patrol sled with 7500 miles on it still on the original belt. The last of my personal sleds hauled home. I did the last traffic counter download route for the year. The route is usually 100 miles. I did 20 miles with the Skidoo Summit and 80 miles with the Ford F150. Tuesday night Hardy Camp / Trailshead South received very little new snow. 4-6 inches new snow to the North. Last night Hardy got 4-6 inches new snow and I would expect North received as much or more. There will be some riding tomorrow and Saturday morning. Warm temps this weekend will destroy the new snow very quick. There is very little base left anymore except for some of the North slopes. The areas without a base have no frost in the ground and will melt off very quick. Thanks everyone for a great season (except for the snow) Hopefully better snow next year.

Premium Features