• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 2

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Not over yet. Temps since last weekend have not got out of the 30's since last weekend in the heart of the riding area. Snotel indicates no snow loss at 1 site and only 1 inch at the other. Warm temps predicted the next 2 days but chances of snow Saturday night, Monday night and Tuesday. It got warm going into last weekend with a loss of 2-3 inches. I will be back up tomorrow through the weekend.

jheitzman

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2011
Milltown, SD
We're coming out this coming weekend. Hopefully the snowfall catches back up. Thanks for all the reports Duane!

Josh

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The core of the riding area survived Saturdays thermal carnage. The outer edges did not fair so well. Most of the trail from the falls to Spearfish Canyon was lost. Rec Springs is done renting snowmobiles. Groomers have stopped going into Rec Springs, Dumont, and Big Hill. IMO both trails and off trail are better to the South. Trails 1, 11, and 12 South are still holding good. 8 is getting thin by the barricade. 1 inch of new snow around Trailshead, less to the North and a little more to the South. Today's temps stayed in the 30's. A couple of chances of snow next week.

P

prairiebound

Dec 3, 2007
snowing in the hlls

Looks good on webcam at hardy camp. Heading up tomorrow. anybody up for a Tuesday ride pm me. probably drop off at trailshead in the morning. was up last Tuesday. rode south of trailshead. found knee deep snow.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Snow is still holding. Rode 90 miles yesterday. the only bad spot I came across is trail 4 past the falls. I was South as far as Trail 9, still decent snow except thin on trail 9. Decent base in the trees and the meadows. Snow is set up with 4-6 inches new snow on top. Temps are predicted to be warm this weekend (upper 40's to lower 50's) Cooler with chances of snow Monday and Tuesday. We have had that same pattern since Presidents day weekend, warm on the weekend and a shot of snow early in the week. Even with the warm temps the base is still slightly building (at least in the core of the riding area.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
It was a bad weekend for snow conditions. The warm weather wrecked havok on the snowpack. Trails turned to an icy base with mush on top. Lots of bare spots showing up. The trees were serious mashed potatoes. Very hard to steer and control the sled. Once it freezes it will get very hard and icy. Meadows were still not too bad. The base has not rotted out yet in the meadows. Lots of motorcycles on highway 85 today. It is possible to ride if you know where to go but conditions will be tough without fresh snow. My patrol sled turned 7000 miles today. I am still on the original belt.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
It looks like without new snow riding in the Black Hills is pretty much done. Rode 30 miles yesterday mostly in the meadows and a few trails that was holding some snow. Most of the trails were almost gone or ice. Ran into 1 group of spring breakers yesterday. Today Trailshead lot was empty. No one was riding. I came back early to work Angostura. 78 degrees here in Hot Springs. Fisherman, speed boaters and jet skiers on the water and people hanging out on the beach. Looks like some changes in the weather starting next week. I may be going out on a limb but I predict a snowy end to March and beginning of April. It is way too early for winter to be defeated. I pulled the trigger today on a newer sled an AC M7 153. I hate to see the old Mountain Cat go but it is time especially with the electrical gremlin I cannot figure out. The MC will be worth more parted out than whole so I you have any parts needs let me know.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Back up to Hardy today. 6-8 inches of new snow the last couple of days up here. Trailshead was reporting a foot of new snow but today with the settling I am seeing 4-8 inches new snow except for further North it is much less. Rode up to Cement Ridge. 3B was good and 3 to South of 3A was good. Got much thinner as you went North. Most of the trails to the North lost most of its base so you are only riding on 2-4 inches of new snow in many areas. Lots of rocks and gravel for the skis to bang on. Trail 4 was good until you cross FS134 and then it got thin to 4A. Trails and off trail much better to the South. The meadows and tree lines South of Trailshead, and North and west of Junction of 1 and 8 are going to be your best bet. Rode 90 miles today. Found an abaondonded, stuck ATV on trail 3. Operator even left the helmet and goggles with the ATV. More snow predicted for tommorrow and Friday then warm again Sunday. The pic was taken on trail 1 between trail 8 and 11.

035.jpg

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
4-6 inches of new snow last night. Snow was dry and light but it did freshen things up some. Cold this morning 8 degrees at 9:30 at Hardy Camp. Trailshead lot was 1/3 - 1/2 full today. Warm temps predicted the next 2 days and then snow predicted for mid week.

Nodaker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2008
VC, ND
Is it Over?

I see fresh snow on the Trails Head cam. So what did they get out of this last blast?

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Snow

Snotel at Rapid Creek road, which is 1/2 mile from Trailshead, says 4". My friend who works in Lead says they got close to a foot there but it was wet and melting fast. Hills riding has been pretty much done for the past 2 -3 weeks. Trail system will close on 3/31.

Nodaker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2008
VC, ND
Thanks for the update. And a Big Thanks to sdsnocop and the rest for the excellent reports throughout the season.

Until next season................

Premium Features