• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 2

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
It is time to start a new BH conditions thread. I have heard reports of some much needed snow to the South end of the system. By looking at the radar of this storm it doesn't surprise me the South ended up with a good shot of snow. I will be back up tomorrow and will report what I find. I was down to Deerfield lake on Sunday. Trail 9 had a good base and 6-12 inches of new snow will make that trail great. The last 2 miles to the lake were tough but I was able to make it. New snow will make a huge difference there. I have been off the last 2 days spending most of that time with my son in the hospital. He broke his leg playing basketball. He had surgery this morning to screw the tibia back together. He is home now but his riding days this season is over. Last winter it was a broken wrist that kept him from riding. 3 years ago it was a concussion from a snowmobile accident. Either he is unlucky or just plain accident prone. The only thing I have broke in my 53 years is my nose from a drunk female slugging me with a full can of Budweiser.

doozy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2012
thanks for the reports

wow , sounds like really bad luck for your son but wish him the best, coming out there the weekend of the 13th not sure if its worth bringing sleds , guess we'll see how much new snow you get there , keep up the the good reports , we appretiate them .

MSlednutz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
How is the snow in the central/northern hills? Appreciate the posts sdsnocop!! Thanks!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
3-4 inches new snow in the Hardy Camp area. 4-10 inches to the South. Less to the North. I hear that near Lead and Deadwood they got near a foot. Trails in the Central, North and South West are in very good condition. Still thin in the Deerfield area but much better than last weekend. No problem getting to Mountain Meadows if you take trail 9 to trail 2 and cut across the lake. I hope to get a chance to check conditions tomorrow East towards Lead and Deadwood. Off trail riding is occuring, meadow are getting much better, tree riding still requires some caution. Rode South today to where trail 1 crosses Ditch Creek Road.

S
Nov 24, 2015
I bailed out of work early to go test ride the new sled yesterday. The snow out there is the best its been yet. With the foot+ we got early this week its made the world of difference. You can actually get stuck and get to powder hoping!! There are spots that are really deep. But it did cover up the bad land mines that were in the bare spots before so you still gotta be careful if you know there isn't much snow under you.

We also got another 3inches last night so I'm willing to bet its even better now. Going out sunday and will report back.

Hopefully we get another shot this weekend.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Rode north of Trailshead.
Trails=8
Off trail=4...... Need more snow lots of landmines and not much base.
On a sidenote the new owners of trails head seem to be doing a very good job and are very friendly.

catsleder162

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2009
Black Hills SD
Went up today behind rec springs. There is more snow out there but still not enough. Just enough to get hung up on dead fall trees and hit stumps. Saw someone being towed out as well. So no base and just enough snow to break your sled because it looked good enough. What a crappy winter this year!

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
I'm bringing my kids sledding(as in slide down a hill on cheap plastic things). Usually go to the dumont lot Haven't been out to the hills yet this year. I'm wondering how the snow will hold up or if anybody has a good sledding hill they would let me in on.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Wind blew hard most of the day. Trees were dropping like flies. I moved what trees I could by hand, hand saw or with the skidoo log skidder. Approx 35-40 trees. Many had to wait for bigger equipment. More trees were dropping around me as I was moving downed trees. I did not know whether to watch, hit the deck, or run The wind will add some good drifts to bust and some good wind loaded snow along some of the tree lines next to meadows.

Attachments

• 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 151
N

nytro4

Mar 13, 2011
Southern mn
Sounds like really warm temps coming to the hills, what's the outlook for this upcoming holiday weekend, is there enough base to hold up. Coming from 10 hrs away,

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Sounds like really warm temps coming to the hills, what's the outlook for this upcoming holiday weekend, is there enough base to hold up. Coming from 10 hrs away,

Honestly, I wouldn't......they are 2 months behind on snowfall.

Last edited:
S
Nov 24, 2015
I LOVE how people that aren't even in the hills are telling people its crap. More snow for me guess....Yes we are behind but there is good snow out there if you know where to look and the trails are fine. I wouldn't hesitate to come up if come from somewhere without snow but that's just me. I found plenty of spots waist deep on sunday. While there are spots that have little snow there are other spots to make up for it.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
I LOVE how people that aren't even in the hills are telling people its crap. More snow for me guess....Yes we are behind but there is good snow out there if you know where to look and the trails are fine. I wouldn't hesitate to come up if come from somewhere without snow but that's just me. I found plenty of spots waist deep on sunday. While there are spots that have little snow there are other spots to make up for it.

Waist deep in a few areas and no base, rocks and dirt were poking through the trails in some spots on Saturday.....if some one is traveling 10 hours with warm temps forecasted all week Im sure it will be EPIC.

Last edited:
U
Dec 12, 2007
Custer, SD
It's all in the eyes of the beholder. I know the Hills aren't the Snowy Range, but I can definitely have fun with the current snow conditions. Given the way this winter has gone we'd better take advantage of it when we can.

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Going to be out tomorrow thru Sunday. Was wondering what the opinion was on the condition of trail 4 out if spearfish canyon, really rough and slushy like at the end of the season or not too bad. Will have the wife along as well as 3 kids all under 4 in the snowcoach. Any thoughts or opinions would be great. We will be unloading out of trails head Fri on for sure.
Thanks for the input. BTW any snow is better than what we have in Aberdeen.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
I expect most of the snow in exposed meadows to be settled by the weekend. Most North facing slopes will probably be decent. Still plenty of sh*t to hit I'm sure. Most South facing slopes will not be a pleasant sight. The trails will be packed down and stiff in the mornings, freeing up in the afternoon as the temp rises. In shaded areas you will obviously find the best snow.

It's hard to pull the trigger on average conditions when you live 8+hrs. away and spend thousands of dollars on a single trip, I know. But in my mind it's better than sitting at home on the couch. Especially when you buy a $13,000 sled.

Everywhere in the Western US is suppose to be in a warming trend starting today into the foreseeable future, but i've heard the snow was good in McCall, Island Park (avy danger is kinda high though), Priest Lake, and Seeley lake areas of ID and MT if any of you want to give that a shot.

The end result is that the snow obviously isn't amazing, but you will be able to ride. The hills will provide for you the experience that they always do. Nicely groomed and well marked trails, various locations that serve hot food around the trail system, convenient parking, Deadwood night life, and a friendly riding atmosphere for any family with various rider experience.

Cheers (beer emoji)

Premium Features