• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 1

B
Feb 19, 2009
Dakotas
Got back from the Hills last night. Trails were great, except way south. We had to go to Mt. Meadow Store for gas, and last couple of miles were rocks and snirt, take short cut across the lake. Meadows to play in off 2K and 4 that were basically virgin before my wife and I tracked them up.

S
Nov 24, 2015
We got another measurable inch last night. Forcast for the weekend is saying more and more chance of snow every day. Hopefully we get hit good.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Rode two days

Conditions vary all over the hills. Trail rode 250 in two days. Warm the last two days. Meadows have a bunch.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Trails to the North and Central part of the system held up to todays warm temps. East took a beating. NWS has 2-4 inches of snow predicted for tomorrow and tomorrow night. Witnessed an accident in front of me where a 10 year old plowed into 2 stopped snowmobiles. Kid was riding a 800 dragon following parent and group that were going too fast. Luckily no one was hurt except for the 3 sleds. Thanks go out to the snowmobiler who took pictures with license plates of the 2 trucks stuck on trail 5 today. The Forest Service will track them down issue them citations. Their citations have a little more bite to them than ours.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Was up today. Temps never got out of the 30's in the Trailshead area. 38 when I left Hardy at 3:30. Trails were in great shape. I went South on 1 to 8, across 8, through Blackfox and back. Only thin spot wos a 50 foot stretch along the creek by Blackfox. The rest of the trails were smooth and hard with some fresh snow on top. Went North on 4 which was in great shape and then cut cross country to check for tracks going into the ski area. Powder through the trees are nice but you still have to take it slow and carefull.

U
Dec 12, 2007
Custer, SD
Was up today. Temps never got out of the 30's in the Trailshead area. 38 when I left Hardy at 3:30. Trails were in great shape. I went South on 1 to 8, across 8, through Blackfox and back. Only thin spot wos a 50 foot stretch along the creek by Blackfox. The rest of the trails were smooth and hard with some fresh snow on top. Went North on 4 which was in great shape and then cut cross country to check for tracks going into the ski area. Powder through the trees are nice but you still have to take it slow and carefull.

Second this report...We trailered up past Deerfield yesterday, kept going out W. Deerfield Road to within a mile of where it intersects 8, and dropped my sled there. Rode across 8>2>2K through Black Fox, then 2C>5>6>4 and went to Roughlock Falls. Stopped and had a good talk with a fat tire snow bike rider up in the canyon and he even let me try it out...pretty cool. After that we went back down 4 to Trailshead, had lunch, talked with sdsnocop for a while, then headed back south on 2>8. Followed fresh vehicle tracks on the portion of 2 between 2K and 8...the tracks continued on down (or from) 2 towards Deerfield...we never saw it.
Trails were all as reported by sdsnocop and we had a great day! Very few people were out.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Deadwood trail 7 closed??

I read on the groomers twitter page that trail 7 was closed on the last 1/4 mile. Why? Can you still ride out of the gulch or super8? Can you still get to southside for gas? What if you ride on a closed trail? Does closed mean only that grooming will not be performed? :eyebrows:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Trails close to Lead and Deadwood took a hit yesterday with the warm temps. Only got to 44 up to Hardy Camp. Snow is still holding up here. Groomers were out last night. The closure on trail 7 in Deadwood is further into town and does not affect Deadwood Gulch, Comfort Inn, and Super 8. Currently snowing hard here at Hardy.

M
Feb 2, 2016
Snowfall at Deerfield Lake

Deerfield Lake area received some great snow these past couple of days -- already 6"-8", with a foot in many places! It's really late in the season, but conditions are 400% better than they were just days ago, and the snow is still falling! Hooray!

Premium Features