• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 1

X
Jan 1, 2011
ND
Well we rode about 65 miles yesterday. We are all short track sleds and there isn't enough snow IMO to go offtrail. I saw a guy getting towed back yesterday with the left front all smashed up from hitting a rock.
The trails were great when we took off in the AM but we're pretty beat up on the way back from trailshead to spearfish canyon lodge. I forgot my phone so no pictures were taken but today I will.

It was nice meeting and chatting with you Dwyane, hopefully we see you out today or tomorrow as well. We made sure to get that 5 day pass at trailshead for my mom's sled yesterday too :)
Take care everyone and ride easy, the snow is minimal in my honest opinion.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
u know if u don't bring them u will want to pound your face n to a wall when that unexpected 12in falls. but hey at least u will have your wife there to talk about Opera's choice for book club this month :frusty:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
u know if u don't bring them u will want to pound your face n to a wall when that unexpected 12in falls. but hey at least u will have your wife there to talk about Opera's choice for book club this month :frusty:

Lmao is that what you do when you have alone time with your wife? :eyebrows:

Sroufe7

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2014
Brookings, SD
www.sspowder.com

I decided to take the sleds with. If them come off the trailer or not, we'll see. And no worries on the Opera, she doesn't care for them!

S
Nov 24, 2015
3 inches over night here in deadwood. Really fluffly stuff. Should keep the trails fresh if they don't get pounded to bad this weekend. Seeing a lot of trailers in the area which is surprising.

X
Jan 1, 2011
ND
3 inches over night here in deadwood. Really fluffly stuff. Should keep the trails fresh if they don't get pounded to bad this weekend. Seeing a lot of trailers in the area which is surprising.

I wouldn't even consider what fell anything. If it was compressed it wouldn't even come up to an inch of new snow.

S
Nov 24, 2015
I wouldn't even consider what fell anything. If it was compressed it wouldn't even come up to an inch of new snow.

Might be fluffy but its sticking and its covered the bare spots and sun facing hill sides. In this case, something is better than nothing, and its worth letting everyone know. Nothing to brag about though, like you said haha.

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
I decided to take the sleds with. If them come off the trailer or not, we'll see. And no worries on the Opera, she doesn't care for them!

Haven't been up since Sunday, but I would stay north. Maybe leave out of Big Hill. I have certainly been on worse trails and still had fun. Good luck.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Groomers went out Thursday night and did what they could with what they had to work with, big improvement Friday over Thursday and definately more snow N of Trailshead along 3 and 1 than there is between Trailshead and Rec. Still not near enough to get us to venture off trail though, besides the FR roads which were good if you could find some that weren't already rode on.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Thanks everyone for keeping the updates going. I just got home after 8 straight days of riding. I am beat. They never fixed the internet at Hardy and there is no cell service so I have not been able to keep any updates going. Everyone's descriptions of conditions are correct. Trails are ridable but need more snow. Grooming has been on the conservative side to save the snow that we have and save the equipment for when we do get better snow. Forest roads and trails are not too bad. Some of the meadows are being ridden and packed down. Tree riding is still very risky. More snow should also help keep other vehicles off the trails. 4 wheel drive vehicles tore up trails bad in the Cement Ridge area. A Honda mini van following their GPS ended up stuck on the snowmobile trail near Lead. I am off for 2 days and will be back up on Wednesday.

S
Nov 24, 2015
Very light dusting over night. Nothing to brag about. Hope we get a good shot here soon. I'm itching for some good snow and cant get to the mountains until next month.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Just got back today from 5 days up at Hardy Camp. The inversion early last was a little tough on conditions, Still some trail riding is possible especially North and on the trails on main roads to the South and East. Some of the trails through the trees are a little tough. The meadows and fire roads have been pounded down which will make for a good base when we do get new snow. According to the web cam Hardy Camp is getting snow right now. NWS predicting 2-5 inches which will help. Some chances of snow for latter in the week. I tried to helped round up 5 stray Bison East of Buckhorn last week. It did not go well, the bison liked the trees more than my sled did. They are now somewhere NW of Mallow camp now. I will be back up to Hardy on Thursday. The internet at the cabin is still not fixed so I can only add reports when I am home. Next Saturday is the vintage ride so I plan on playing hooky that day to play with my old sleds.

S
Nov 24, 2015
I got out yesterday. Started at Rec. Springs and rode mostly trees. In my opinion its not bad out there yet. Not saying its good by any means but there is snow to be found. There are a few bare spots on the trails but overall it wasn't a bad day. If we get pounded this will be an awesome base.

At this rate I'm really hoping we have a killer late season.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Take the Chapperal

Take the Chapperal next Saturday. It looked sweet and the best part is you ride and enjoy it.:face-icon-small-ton Loren

Just got back today from 5 days up at Hardy Camp. The inversion early last was a little tough on conditions, Still some trail riding is possible especially North and on the trails on main roads to the South and East. Some of the trails through the trees are a little tough. The meadows and fire roads have been pounded down which will make for a good base when we do get new snow. According to the web cam Hardy Camp is getting snow right now. NWS predicting 2-5 inches which will help. Some chances of snow for latter in the week. I tried to helped round up 5 stray Bison East of Buckhorn last week. It did not go well, the bison liked the trees more than my sled did. They are now somewhere NW of Mallow camp now. I will be back up to Hardy on Thursday. The internet at the cabin is still not fixed so I can only add reports when I am home. Next Saturday is the vintage ride so I plan on playing hooky that day to play with my old sleds.

P

prairiebound

Dec 3, 2007
sleddn in the hills

dropped off at big hill lot yesterday. went to buckhorn by trail 3. chilli was good, went back by trailshead and trail 1 to the pickup. trails are ok. some dirt and gravel. some ice. best snow was big hill lot to cement ridge. about the deepest snow I found was 18 inches. going back today I think. drop off at Dumont down to blackfox and trailshead. leave the mt. sled in the trailer and take out a 97 Polaris trail. saw about 6 others out yesterday.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
NWS has 2-4 inches of snow predicted for today and tonight for Lead and 4-9 inches for the Hardy Camp area today though Friday. Temps with this system will be hovering around freezing so it should fall as heavier snow instead of fluff. 30+ MPH winds with this system which is always good for laying down good snow. Lesser chances of snow this weekend and much of next week.

Premium Features