• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 1

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Time to start the Black Hills condition threads. Just got back from 3 days up to Hardy Camp. Spent Wednesday setting up and cleaning the cabin. I rode my old trusty Polaris over to Trailshead for lunch and got a chance to meet the new owners. I was their first customer to show up by snowmobile. Went out a little ways on trail 2 to find a Christmas tree. 6-8 inches of snow. My tracks were the only snowmobile tracks. Thursday and Friday was training for the groomer operators. Snow was settling due to warm temps the last 2 days. Got to 42 today at Hardy. I will be doing trail inspections late next week through the weekend. Chances of snow again for next weekend.

001.JPG 003.JPG

X
Jan 1, 2011
ND
Hey there, thanks for doing this report. We are coming down the 28th to the 31st. Hopefully conditons will be good. See you on vintagesleds.com !

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Just finished today with the preseason trail inspections. Spent 3 days straight on a 4 wheeler 100 miles per day, talk about taking a beating. The rest I did by pickup. There is ridable snow West and North of Trailshead and 5 miles East and South. The rest is very spotty. The areas that are ridable have 4-8 inches of settled snow. Keep in mind I said ridable not good. It was snowing when I left this afternoon but it was not accumulating. Better chances of snow Monday night and Tuesday. In the areas that have ridable snow another 6-8 inches will make the trails groomable. Yesterday the elk herd was almost next to the Trailshead parking lot. No snowmobile traffic as of yet.

S
Nov 24, 2015
Dumping pretty good now in the northern hills. Sitting on about 5inches that's fallen since this morning. Doesn't seem to be letting up either. I'm here hoping this system sits on us for a day or so. Going to go up the hill behind my house tonight. I cant wait any longer. Will report back with a broken parts list in the morning!!!

catsleder162

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2009
Black Hills SD
We got almost a foot or a foot of snow here in spearfish. What is it like up on the hill? I'm debating leaving town this weekend or going up and playing with the proclimb

S
Nov 24, 2015
We got almost a foot or a foot of snow here in spearfish. What is it like up on the hill? I'm debating leaving town this weekend or going up and playing with the proclimb

About a foot average up here. Rode for a bit last night and the ski's still grab the trail underneath. If we get another shot like hthis within two weeks we'll have a killer base.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Groomers are out tonight setting trail. Snowfall amounts vary depending on who is reporting. Terry Peak is reporting 22 inches, local weather is saying 18 in Lead and 12 in Deadwood. Reports I have heard from grooming staff is around a foot near Lead and Trailshead and 16-18 inches to the North of Trailshead. Snow drops off quick as you go South. Only 2 inches on Trail 8. North should be in good shape for early season with 12-18 inches over a fairly consistant 6-8 inch base that was present before the storm. I heard the snow was fairly light so it will settle quite a bit. I will be up tomorrow.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Up on the trails the last 2 days. 10-12 inches new snow around Trailshead, up to 18 inches North. Trails going North are in decent shape. Went East a little ways - not to bad of shape. South thins out real quick. Off trail is extremely risky unless you stay below 15mph. The snow was very light and dry. I bet we have more moisture in the 6 inches of snow we got in Hot Springs than the 18 inches they got in the Northern Hills. Picture was taken off trail 4 between Trailshead and Spearfish Canyon. Rode 100 miles today. Back up tomorrow for a couple more days.

016.JPG

P

prairiebound

Dec 3, 2007
hills dont have much snow

went up to trailshead today. did not drop off, had a beer and talked to the new owners. went back to rec. springs and dropped off. put about 5 miles on the sled and loaded back up. had a beer and burger with people at rec. springs. drove 75 miles back home. wait for snow before u come. hills are a great place to ride but they need snow. not a good start to the snowmobile season. I would say the trails around rec. springs were groomed and had about six inches of packed snow on them in most spots. some dirt and gravel. trailshead was worse. would have took pics but it was kind of depressing looking at the snow. the good news is we did not get stuck. a kitty cat would do better than a 174 by 3 skidoo.

S
Mar 6, 2015
Iowa
We are booked at Rec Springs over New Years. Looking at the 120 hour GFS model, no snow in the forecast. One guy says he road 100 miles and the pics look good. Next guy says don't waste your time. It is not a quick trip. I guess we better decide pretty dang quick if we stop at the Hills or keep heading West. Boo.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Rode from Trailshead to rec Springs on Saturday, The trails located on smooth surfaces such as gravel roads and the Mickelson trail are in good shape for the snow we have. Trails over rougher terrain are rough and have rocks being churned up out of the base. Not enough snow to cover them and fill in the rough spots. 6 inch trail base is a stretch, 2-3 inches is more realistic. Rode North to Spearfish Canyon today. Going North out of Trailshead is little better than going East and much better than going South. Whether it will be worth coming out for the Christmas holidays will be in the eyes of the beholder. There will be snow to ride on, good snow - no. Depends how bad you want to ride or are you willing to wait or travel farther. NWS shows some 20%-30% chances of snow through the week and a 40% chance for Christmas day. I am back home and will be traveling across the state for Christmas this week. I will be back up to Hardy the day after Christmas through the weekend after New Years. Currently no internet at Hardy but hopefully they get it fixed next week. Merry Christmas everyone.

Premium Features