• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Condition 2

2001MC800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
rapid city, sd
It must have either set up pretty good or you didn't find sweet spots because last weekend I got my 2008 M8 stuck a few times and thought it was some of the best snow I have seen for the 7 years I have lived in Rapid!

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Sounds like both of you had way more fun playing in the snow than I did looking looking at my dormant grass today.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
The snow is set pretty good. I mean how could it not be with above freezing temps and 30mph winds. Just think of it this way, more a base to put fresh snow on top of! :face-icon-small-hap

xf800

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
South Dakota
just got back from there, my opinion is the snow is set up hard and off trail is tracked up bad. the trails were good if you like doing that

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Has anyone been down trail 7 to the Super8 motel in Lead? That usually is the first trail to melt down and was just wondering if it is still ridable. Also would like to ride 5T to Terry Peak. I see the snow is in good shape in the hills.

Talked to a couple that rode out of Deadwood today and did not think it was that bad. Just a little gravelly. However with today's temp and warm winds I cant imagine it is very good. 3-5 inches of snow predicted for tomorrow.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
off trail is tracked up bad. the trails were good if you like doing that
Agreed, trails were good, but I also found excellent off trail snow today. Just have to go farther off the trail. Explore a little and you will find the goods.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
sdsnocop

Hi dewayne

We are coming out and riding Wed - Sat. If you have time you are welcome to ride with us. We are a group of 6 from 28 to 65 years young. We like riding the big meadows down by moon or up by rifle pit. Fire trails are also fun. :face-icon-small-hap

Talked to a couple that rode out of Deadwood today and did not think it was that bad. Just a little gravelly. However with today's temp and warm winds I cant imagine it is very good. 3-5 inches of snow predicted for tomorrow.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Maps, I just down loaded back country navigator pro 9.99$, You have to down load the a topo map or what ever kind of map you want. You highlight the area you are going to travel and down load that portion of map. It actually worked really well. Oh yah smart phone app, I have a s4 samsung.

Last edited:
F
Nov 11, 2013
Aberdeen SD
Ride plans???

Just decided to buzz out from ABr. Going to ride with the fam on Sat and Sun. Staying in spearfish, was wondering if unloading at Roughlock and riding rifle pit and wagon canyon was good or if it made sense to trailer to Trailshead and ride south.

Duane if you see a group of Polaris pulling a snowcoach with red ski's stop by and say hi.

Thanks for all the Info.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Just decided to buzz out from ABr. Going to ride with the fam on Sat and Sun. Staying in spearfish, was wondering if unloading at Roughlock and riding rifle pit and wagon canyon was good or if it made sense to trailer to Trailshead and ride south.

Duane if you see a group of Polaris pulling a snowcoach with red ski's stop by and say hi.

Thanks for all the Info.

I do not think you can go wrong riding either location.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
We received 2-3 inches of snow today with wind of course. Forecast is calling for chances of snow next week Wed thru Sat night straight. Had 3 broken arms the last 4 days from snowmobile accidents. First was a rental that hit a parked car in the Spearfish Canyon parking lot. The second was a guy from Brazil who did not know enough to let off the throttle when climbing a steep hill on the power line launched the sled 35 feet into a tree and was vaulted off the snowmobile another 40 feet. The third was a rental being rode 2up dropped a ski off the trail and was sucked into a tree.

N
Dec 31, 2008
Always try to teach the kids not to laugh at someones misfortune, but the thought of the flying Brasilian got me smiling. I wonder if he had visions of X-games big air and gave 'er a rip.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Always try to teach the kids not to laugh at someones misfortune, but the thought of the flying Brasilian got me smiling. I wonder if he had visions of X-games big air and gave 'er a rip.

I am sure it would be a trip he would never forget if it were not for the concussion that erased that memory. Luckily the gopro he was wearing will help fill that gap. It was one of those trips where the Brazilian took the owner of the 2011 RMK Pro to see the beaches of Rio and in return was invited to the States to go snowmobiling. I wonder who got the better deal?

jheitzman

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2011
Milltown, SD
Hey outlaw,

If you go to the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks website on your smartphone they have an app that has all the state trail maps on it. Its pretty slick

josh

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Is that State map deal still run on an internet based program where you need good service for that to work?

Has anyone found a way to overlay the trail system map on the backcountry nav map and use that?

Premium Features