• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Condition 1

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
We stayed at Spearfish Canyon Lodge. Took 4 to 4a and when we hit 1 just kept working our way off trail until we hit 3. Cement ridge down half way to Trailshead was great though. You still have to be careful in certain areas for stumps. I would wait for another 6" or so before another trip just due to the amount of people out there. Anything Trailshead area and south is all tracked up and way less snow that way.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Ouch, bet that was not cheap, rear ended or what happened?

Yeah, it was pretty much a brand new rental... and my dad got a little too far over when making a left hand turn and fell off the lip of the trail and found an old post which hit in pretty much the worst spot right on the running board. bent it up and I didn't see it but it punched a pretty good dent in the side of the tunnel too I guess. Long story short when in doubt it is much much cheaper to break anything besides the tunnel.

As far as conditions we didn't get too far off trail and obviously our day was cut short yesterday, but like I said earlier me and my girlfriend bent an aarm in a meadow which I have never done before while the sled was on both skis. I didn't think the snow was bad, but I think the old snow is doing a great job of hiding obstacles.

Firecat I think I saw you and your group. Did you have the black cat with a group of a couple of younger guys on skidoos and a dude with a newish pro?

Last edited:

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
Yeah that was me on the completely black M, another black and green M with headlight delete, Orange M, 2 Skidoos, 12RMK 600 and a Dragon. Where did you guys see us?

T

thierracing

Jan 1, 2010
Fulda MN
OKso so far I've heard the north is good down to about trailshead then it gets sketchy around trails head. Does that sound right? And then how's the south looking? Heard it was deeper before Xmas how about now? We made the final decision and we are making the trip out there on Thursday to ride the weekend. Where do you guys think the best snow is sitting as of now? We can always search for it to but anymore tips would be great! I just wanna say thanks to all you local guys up there keeping us posted daily with posts and videos! Even the guys east river who have been out and kept us all updated. thanks a TON GUYS!! it helps a lot!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
North of Trailshead has a little better base but has been tracked up more. South of Trailshead is good down to trail 9. The base is not as good but the South has received more fresh snow. Was South today and the wind blew some so you should find some good drifts to bust and some good wind loaded hillsides. Was in the Crooks Tower area and found snow deep enough that I was pushing with my hood. I found very few areas South I would consider sketchy except for near the Deerfield area. More snow is predicted for tomorrow thru new years and Friday thru the weekend. The current snotel sites currently show as much snow as we had Feb 1 last winter.

A

arcticmat

Nov 23, 2008
Tea SD
What is the long term forecast for the next 2 weeks, we will be coming out over Jan 23rd thru Jan 26th. Haven't been out west anywhere this year just wondering.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Hey guys,

I'm going to be in the Hills this weekend with some friends at a cabin.

None of them snowmobile so they're gonna mess around in Deadwood on Saturday but I'm thinking about bringing my sled and riding that day.

Sounds like off trail isn't too good but there's decent trail riding?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Did some research today to judge where we are at for snow conditions at this time by comparing conditions we had prior years at this date. You cannot compare Feb / March conditions to Jan 1st conditions. The best snow data I know of is the 2 Snotel locations (N Rapid Creek & Blind Park). The Snotel sites do not give a 100% reflection of actual snow conditions out there but gives an accurate comparison.

Blind Park (near junction trails 1 & 8) currently has a reading of 21 inches. Last year on the 1st the reading was 10 inches. The highest reading last season was 25 inches which was first reached on 2/15. In the past 10 years 3 had equaled or exceeded the 21 inches with the highest at 22 inches for Jan 1st.

N Rapid Creek (West of Dumont) currently has a reading of 24 inches. Last year on the 1st the reading was 8 inches. The highest reading last season was 29 inches which was reached on 3/23. In the past 10 years the highest reading on Jan 1st was 22 inches.

The question on current snow conditions to me is a comparison on what I normally see in past years at this time not a comparison to what could be found in late season. So in my opinion based on 21 years patrolling the Black Hills and 10 years of Snotel data the current snow conditions is one of the best I have seen.

T

thierracing

Jan 1, 2010
Fulda MN
Looks like its snowing pretty good out there on the trails head camera right now. Can't even see across that lot across the highway.

SDPowderRider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2010
Central SD
On the last day of 2013 we rode in some of the best powder I have ridden in the Black Hills (BH). I have been sledding BH back country since the mid 80's, and yesterday was powder over the hood most of the day. Top 5 day in my years of BH experiences. Crazy for as early in season as it is.

We rode meadows that were untouched, and logging/fire trails in heavy trees that were drifted to 155" track perfection.

YMMV

Last edited:
T

thierracing

Jan 1, 2010
Fulda MN
On the last day of 2013 we rode in some of the best powder I have ridden in the Black Hills (BH). I have been sledding BH back country since the mid 80's, and yesterday was powder over the hood most of the day. Top 5 day in my years of BH experiences. Crazy for as early in season as it is.

We rode meadows that were untouched, and logging/fire trails in heavy trees that were drifted to 155" track perfection.

YMMV

Sdpowderrider, that's awesome! Were headed out from sw MN tomorrow! Where about were you finding this over hood powder? South of trails head?

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
found great snow yesterday had a blast in the hills! really good in my opinion for this early! I would make the 5hr drive again tomorrow! (if I had enough gas money!) pic taken north of black fox

oct sleddin 2.jpg

B

bhor

Oct 29, 2008
Rapid City SD
We also found great snow. we road out of two brothers and we were pushing snow with are hoods. West and north facing slopes are awesome excellent base we ride mainly off trail. Trails that we were on are excellent snow is already better than last year at the end of season

Premium Features