• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bike or track - more important?

G
Dec 4, 2016
I’m completely new to snow bikes. Tried one last week and I really enjoy it. Currently on a ski doo 850.

If i were to buy used what is the more important the bike or the track?

when I say “important” I’m primarily referring to handling/performance/where should I allocate more of the budget towards.

to narrow options down. Are there certain years to focus on?

ktm 450?

timbersled? MH vs aro?

I ride in Oregon.

thanks for any help!

Last edited:
N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
I just went thru this. Go injected 450 at a minimum. I got the 137" but ride with a couple guys on the new Aro 3, and it's awesome. Get electric start too, that's a must. Actually one guy in our group is on a 300 2 stroke with the Aro 3 and it's works great too. I went 450 sxf ktm with 137 and it's awesome, goes anywhere.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I would say the track for sure. All the bike has to do is start and make hp. I ride a 20 year old bike and it works as good as anything new. (2 stroke) . it sounds like your a 4 stroke guy so even a 2007 450 with a riot would be WAY better than a 2020 anything with a crappy track kit. Just make sure its a motocross bike so it has 50+ hp instead of 40. and if it's a 4 stroke make sure it's not wore out or it will get expensive quick. 2013 ktms are good deals if you want 4 stroke estart with hp. If you like 2 stroke any 250sx is great back to 2003 or plan on mods if you go 300. All 2 strokes will need thermostat wrap and carb heat.

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
I am surprisingly happy with my 2016 Mountain Horse 137 kit. I ride with a couple 137 AROs and an ARO3, and I don't feel disadvantaged at all. Suspension setup and strut length adjustment go a long way to make the MH kit work well. I might upgrade to the ARO ski at some point, but for now I'm happy.

As for a bike, the MX bikes are where it's at. Uncorked from the factory, and a close ratio transmission is definitely key. E start FI bikes are pretty slick, but as some have said, don't rule out 2 strokes if you're willing to tinker a fair bit. Most of the guys I ride with have 300 2 strokes for summer and firmly believe in them, but we all have EFI 4 strokes for the snow.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
IMO is all about the track. 450 is a 450 (or 300,350,500) They all make similar power. My bike moded with a MH is having circles ran around it by an ARO and a bike with less power. Espessially in the deep. Now its still fun, i just have to work a little harder is all. Biggest things on a bike is to have Electric start. Thats a deal breaker. Other than that it dosn't matter to me. 6 gear is nice. larger stators to run headlight and electric grips are nice. but coolant bars and LED lights can be run on almost any bike. If your thinking timbersled get the ARO.

Not sure what your budget is but ive ridden a CMX and its not just hype. That thing is awesome! Kicked my ARO. Never ridden an aro 3, but i keep hearing the riot is a "little better" than the aro in the deep. Never ridden a yeti but i think they will kick a timbersleds butt all day too. Just not sure on reliability compared to CMX or yeti

M
Jan 14, 2004
As mentioned, if your bike is a turd the whole setup is a turd. MX bike for me, while I have made the switch from a kicker back to estart this season, it is a luxury not mandatory, I wouldn't rule out a good deal on a kick start bike if your budget is tight. Modern FI kick start bikes start very easily its not like the old days. My second bike which I rode last week is a kicker and its no big deal really. There are great deals on 14 - 17 YZ450's out there which are very reliable and cheap to work on compared to say a KTM or Husky. It cost me over double for my KTM pistons than what a Yamaha piston cost me so its a factor to consider. I love my KTM but I snow bike Yamis for the cost savings.

Last weekend I rode with a 2020 Yeti/Husky and a 2015 MH/husky. The Yeti was number one in every respect except smoothness, my 2018 YZ/2020 Camso was a really close second but much smoother than the Yeti, I run a complete Yeti front end which helps a lot, it will go anywhere the Yeti will go at 1/2 the price the MH guy got everywhere as well. I was actually surprised how well the old MH went.

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I am with M5 here on the bike. I picked up a 2017 YZ 450 F this year. 6 hrs for 5 grand. Couldn’t be happier. Sure I miss my electric start a little but not that big a deal for me. Kind of depends on your fitness level and bike experience though. Yes you will be picking your bike up, getting it unstuck, and be out of breath at elevation and then have to hop on your bike in an awkward position and kick it. Sometimes lots.
My experience with the track kits is this… The mountain horse gets around pretty dang well. Especially the 16s or later that have the 2.5 inch track. The aros are definitely a little bit better. Lots of good options out there.

Premium Features