• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bighorns Trip advice

M
Jun 15, 2019
Hi all, some of my buddies and I are looking to make our first trip to the Bighorns in mid-March (15-18), this is our first time truly going West, we usually just go to the Black Hills. We would like to get a guide, and I've seen that the options are basically Bear Lodge or Off The Grid Outdoors. Has anyone had experience with either guide? If so do you have a preference? Also, should we stay at Bear Lodge or Arrowhead? Will an Arctic Cat Riot X do okay in the bighorns?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Look up Sled Wyo- Jeffrey Shanor. Your Riot X will do fine. All the hotels up top are OK.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Roads should be good I'd stay in Sheridan savings on sled gas will pay for any added truck fuel plus options for food the chop house is excellent as is sanfords pub.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I'd stay on the mtn, it's over an hour getting up there from town. between getting everybody rounded up and in the truck, then un loading, then changing clothes when ya get there. Better to just get up and go from the door.
Maby stay in town your last night but what does this town really offer that isn't on the mtn? Ya got three different places for grub on the hill. There are more choices in town but none are really any better it's all Sysco

Bear has kind of been the hub forever. It's showing its age but it has the best pie. Has a gas pump, a rental shop, and I thin a guide service. Has a bunch of different angle parking plus the semi turn around for us locals to park in.

Elk view has the best food, the biggest parking lot, and newest hotel with pool. The parking lot is easy to get stuck in, bring your tire chains.

Arrowhead is kind of tight for parking, I've never stayed there but they seem busy most of the year. I've ate there it's about the same as the others.

If you were really trying to save a buck, you could stay in ranchester. The western motel is cheap and has decent parking. the buckshot saloon next to the gas station has very good grub. The gas station has new tanks with non eth gas.
But once again, you'll be about an hour messing around getting up there.

Bubba

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
turkey ridge sd
Stay on top of the mountain call now and book your rooms. long drive back to sheridan thats 2 hours of your day sledding every day.

S

Summit Guy

Oct 24, 2001
Buffalo, MN
Trails have been groomed daily and usually in good condition, that was two weeks ago. Off trail powder was real good but had to search for it, once again that was 2 weeks ago

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
How's the base? Looks like some snow forecast for the Bighorns.

Premium Features