• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Trail Riding

R
Dec 13, 2016
We've been coming to West Yellowstone for the past 5 or 6 years mainly for trail riding and we love it and love how well marked the trails are, but was thinking about going somewhere else this coming winter.

So my question is where else in Montana is equal to West Yellowstone trails.
We would need to also rent sleds and want to ride right out from the hotel or cabin.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
For your needs, West is top of the list by a decent margin. I believe the LOLO area has some good options. You may also be able to find some options that work in Seeley Lake.

North of Whitefish has a pretty vast network of trail, but nothing I think your going to find ride in/ride out access too.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Little Belt Mountains have a great trail system that's a couple hundred miles that's well marked. Usually a lot smoother than the West Yellowstone trails too. Unfortunately there's no longer a rental shop on the hill, and riding from a hotel is pretty much out. There's the back trail out of Neihart if you know where it's at, but it's not marked and not on the maps.

Like Wheel House said, West is about the best place that has everything you're looking for.

X
Mar 12, 2018
togwotee lodge isnt far from yellowstone, prolly your next best bet but not in montana. sled in/out lodging in seeley

Last edited:

agalen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Helena, MT
trails in Seeley are very well marked. I would second (or 3rd or 4th) that Togwotee might be another good alternative.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
you said montana but depending on where your coming from the bighorns have a very nice trail system and they almost always nice and smooth there is a rental shop as well and three lodges on the mountain. lots of great views too.

jlombard

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2018
I think Togwotee is the next best place to ride, trails are well marked but the grooming there is spotty with only the main trails in and out getting groomed regularly. We don't feel like they were maintained anywhere near as good as West / Island Park area. Also plan on spending a 20/30% more there, everything costs more, sleds, lodging, and food. I will say that you have to try Tog at least once because it is an incredible place to ride.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Little Belt Mountains have a great trail system that's a couple hundred miles that's well marked. Usually a lot smoother than the West Yellowstone trails too. Unfortunately there's no longer a rental shop on the hill, and riding from a hotel is pretty much out. There's the back trail out of Neihart if you know where it's at, but it's not marked and not on the maps.

Like Wheel House said, West is about the best place that has everything you're looking for.
I guess this season there is going to be a rental shop down in the Forest Green/ Mizpa area.

Jon

Premium Features