• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best primary puller for pro 800

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Who makes the best puller that won't fail for the primary. I want a good one that won't give me fits.
'
thanks

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I got one from SLP, I've only used it once but worked fine. It was also the cheapest I cold find at the time.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I have a few different brand pullers.

My favorite, to date, is the PERKS puller.
I believe that this is the most gentle on the crank.

Well made and works easily/as advertised.

Sure you can try a "HomeMade version" using use grease/oil etc and the bolt or a trimmed off clutch puller... but why when this works so well.

I use it with water... and tip the sled on it's side so the water stays in rather than the method shown in the vid... but you'll get the point.
The secret is lots of teflon tape.

I've used it to break even the most difficult ones that caused problems with others.

http://www.perksbalance.com/products.html\

The POLARIS part starts at 4:55 if you want to fast fwd.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Dalton makes the finest puller I have found to date. It takes a ton of abuse. MH is correct water is the best way to hydraulic a clutch, lots of Teflon tape. If it is still stubborn, lightly heat the stationary stem section between the sheaves with a propane torch.
Dalton# DCP-C

Last edited:
G

green_denali

Dec 14, 2009
Anchorage, AK
puller

If you guys are having problems with getting your primary off, wouldn't it be better to invest in a quality torque wrench? When I got into sledding I used to read these stories all the time, & still do, use to make me nervous about wanting to do clutch work on my sled. After getting a torque wrench, I've had my primary off more times then I can count, either doing general cleaning, changing springs, or whatever, only difference is now I have peace of mind doing it. My torque wrench is a blue point, it was about $100 give or take. Snap-On makes a digital one, but its expensive. I also use a Polaris brand puller, as long as the primary isn't over torqued, shouldn't any brand puller work.

Steinegal

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2013
Yeah torque is important:) have pulled the primary off lots of times and never had a problem with it;) Torque is 80 ft-lbs and it has to be retorqued after a engine run up (this is important!)

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Cleanliness of the PTO end and clutch matting surface is important. I scotch-brite and emery before installation. Torque is the next important step.
But this is not normal procedure in most camps. So we have posts wondering how to remove a stubborn primary. I have removed countless primary's that have spun on the PTO end, rusted, or were over torqued. In 2008 the tapers were slightly mismatched and lapping them in and then polishing them was a savior.

jokerman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Wy.
Clutch Puller

Sent them an email reply was selling business:face-icon-small-fro looked like a good product!!!

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Bolt

Used a 3/4" NFT x 4" bolt, Teflon Tape, and ATF to get a clutch off that would not come off with the SLP conventional puller. Virtually popped with a loud bang when it came off.

It's probably the method I will use if the conventional puller doesn't easily remove clutches from now on.

Last edited:
Premium Features