• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best place to snowmobile in south dakota

F
Nov 11, 2013
Aberdeen SD
Definitely the hills, I really like riding west of Trailshead, Less traveled than deadwood, trails seem to be not as rough. Go to the SDGFP web site and you can find a like to the twitter account that has the snow condition's updated pretty regularly at least once a week possibly more depending on the snow conditions and recent storms. We usually ride the 4 times a year, 6 hr's from ABR. been riding there since I was 12. Love that place.:face-icon-small-ton

B
Oct 18, 2010
how would you say the level of riding it is there I have been to cooke city, west yellow stone and parts of Canada, how would it compare to anything like that. also wondering I know there are a lot of trail there but I really don't like being on trail, is there a lot of places where you can just get off the trail and play or some medium size hills to climb and maybe trees to ride in. thanks

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
Its nothing like heading out west further. You can have a good time as long as there is 30"+ heading off trails and playing in the trees. Nothing challenging though. Heading to the Big Horns make the Hills like the flatlands.

F
Nov 11, 2013
Aberdeen SD
I would also agree. If you like the steep and deep the hills is not the place for you. If you search you can find some pretty decent of trail riding, firecat is correct you definatley need good snow depth. I've ridden the horns just once and that was a very weak snow year. The trails are 300% better in the hills I think they groom at least 5 days a week, maybe even seven, so getting from 1 meadow to the next is really fast. The map they put out is really helpful to find fire road and go searching.

B
Oct 18, 2010
well I don't really need something challenging just looking for a good fun place to ride that isn't a day drive to get there. Do they usually get a lot of snow there or is it just average snow conditions.

F
Nov 11, 2013
Aberdeen SD
It is so worth the drive beat's the hell out of ditch banging. I did get a 40 mi ride in on 4" of really wind blow snow up here in Aberdeen, wasn't all that bad, but it deffinatley wasn't mountain riding.:face-icon-small-ton

sledking120

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2011
South Dakota
The hills is like no other place in my opinion not to far to drive and you can get off trail within 2 miles and not get back on till you come back for fuel just make sure u don't fall off the cliffs

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
He's probably referring to the Cement Ridge lookout area. Nothing to worry about. You will enjoy it but if your going off trail wait for that 30" range. They cut trees and leave the stumps around knee height

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Perhaps I just know my way around the hills much better than the big horns, but I don't find the hills to be that much worse than the big horns in terms of ability to explore.

The bighorns area that I've seen in the north is really open and windblown a majority of the time and gets annihilated every weekend by huge crowds. That said, once in the trees the snow is usually really deep(compared to the hills). Then again in the hills you can go almost anywhere and not be too concerned about where you are as there are plenty of places to get gas and there are very few creeks to cross. Just my thoughts.

sledking120

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2011
South Dakota
cliffs is for sure some of the rock drop offs go along ways im not sayin the hills is better than the mtns I like the scenery a lot better and I also am a lot more comfortable their but love the mtns too

B
Oct 12, 2010
Morgan Utah
cliffs is for sure some of the rock drop offs go along ways im not sayin the hills is better than the mtns I like the scenery a lot better and I also am a lot more comfortable their but love the mtns too

Not to say your opinion is wrong or that the hills dont have amazing scenery but it sounds like you've been going to the wrong mountains :face-icon-small-ton

N

niles

Jan 5, 2009
nw iowa
Not to say your opinion is wrong or that the hills dont have amazing scenery but it sounds like you've been going to the wrong mountains :face-icon-small-ton

Sounds like you have been going to the wrong hils:face-icon-small-ton
I have been to many mountains out west and I choose to ride the hills.
Just my opinion. I took a riding buddy out who always blew the Hills off claiming there was no challenge for him. I was able to take him places that made his a** pucker a little.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
The hills have some fun tree riding when the snows deep. Used to go there quite a bit, but haven't been for a couple years. I just like the terrain and snow conditions out west so much more that we overlook the hills. I would not be opposed to hitting them up after a big storm though, still lots of fun to be had.

Premium Features