• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best nytro exhaust/ intake combo

M
Jan 1, 2017
Ontario canada
So I'm on a budget and I know That's not the best thing when it comes to sled mods..... Anyways I want a little more power top and end mid range. Pretty much any power is good power. I can get a power comander for 150$ cad and want the best bang for the buck intake and exhaust. Headers are expensive but mine cracked last season and I welded it so who knows when that will go next but that's for later. Right now I'm looking at a slip on, intake mods and a tune.
I want an exhaust that will give me more flow to make more power without being obnoxious. I trail ride and do anything from full day long hauls to off trail messing around and Bush riding. So something that gives it a throatier sound without being too loud is what I'm looking for.
And for intake I'm on a budget and looking for more power so idk if it's even worth it. I know the knn kits are upwards of 300$ canadian and that's a little much for me. I can get these vents off bikeman performance for pretty cheap. Anybody ever prove they make power or lose power ? Are they worth it ? http://bikemanperformance.com/powair-universal-intake-vents.html

Also where's the best and cheapest place to get a tune for this kind of setup ? He said the power commander is already programmed for this type of setup but I don't really trust that.

And last thing. I've been toying with the idea of using a Magnaflow muffler. I tried my friends 2.5 inch and it fit but I would need a 2.25 inch one and I would have to make brackets but would be around 200$ cad but I don't know if it would be too loud or not compared to actual nytro mufflers. Sorry for the long post but I need some help and all the old threads have two suggestions then just go rambling about fines and dnr and mnr so please none of that

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
To do any type of intake / exhaust mods, you must use a fuel controller or you need to Flash the Stock ECU on these 4-strokes. Your best bet since you are on a budget might be to re-flash the stock ECU. I believe Evolution Powersport still provides that service for the Nytro. I would stay away from any type of Airbox modifications unless you go with the K&N Kit. Allen Ulmer of Ulmer Racing did a lot of dyno testing on the Nytro when they first were introduced and found if done wrong you can lose power. It is really tough to do any sort of Mod on these nytro's on a budget as you may already know. The stock exhaust actually works pretty good on these sleds. The problem is they weigh a ton. You have to watch out for the thru exhaust systems as well. Some will add power up top at the cost of power on the low end and mid-range due to not providing enough back pressure in the system. PS. I have a stock header in the classifieds off my '08 nytro MTX that has one season on it before I installed a full Excell header/exhaust system on my sled.

M
Jan 1, 2017
Ontario canada
To do any type of intake / exhaust mods, you must use a fuel controller or you need to Flash the Stock ECU on these 4-strokes. Your best bet since you are on a budget might be to re-flash the stock ECU. I believe Evolution Powersport still provides that service for the Nytro. I would stay away from any type of Airbox modifications unless you go with the K&N Kit. Allen Ulmer of Ulmer Racing did a lot of dyno testing on the Nytro when they first were introduced and found if done wrong you can lose power. It is really tough to do any sort of Mod on these nytro's on a budget as you may already know. The stock exhaust actually works pretty good on these sleds. The problem is they weigh a ton. You have to watch out for the thru exhaust systems as well. Some will add power up top at the cost of power on the low end and mid-range due to not providing enough back pressure in the system. PS. I have a stock header in the classifieds off my '08 nytro MTX that has one season on it before I installed a full Excell header/exhaust system on my sled.
Ya for the fuel controller is use the power commander. Is there any other filter without there that's cheaper ? I mean all the k&n kit is is just three air filter pods and a couple small vent filters

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Unfortunately i have not come across any. there was never really a big market from them since 98% of people who own the nytro opted for the fancy supercharger or turbo which of course gets rid of the need for air cleaners altogether. This doesn't mean there isn't any its just the only one i have ever saw I know Allen Ulmer ulmer racing had offered a airbox mod that you would send in your airbox and he would mod it for you. Not sure he does those anymore but you could check once the snowmobile season gets going. He is tough to reach in the summer months. I have never seen what he did but i read it was pretty simple. However he did warn people that if they were not careful they could lose power if they did it wrong. It had to do with reducing the internal pressure in the box too much. The rest of the knowledge is over my pay scale hehe. He had dyno sheets that proved the lose in power. Most of his testing was done when the sled first came out in '08-'09

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Ulmer's K&N, Excel Exhaust (or Hurricane) and Dynojet combo is good for 7-10HP but really picks up low and mid range. I went with the Excel for the Vector (same engine) which let me mount a Yoshimura muffler straight out the back.

You should be able to pick up all these parts on the cheap now, just post WTB in the classified in Snowest or TY4Stroke.

Ulmer has the Dynojet Power Commander 5 program for this combo. Its been proven many times over.

It works so well you'll need to find a clutch kit too or at least add some clutch weight....but that's the pay for more HP!!! LOL.

OTM

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I ran a full aaen exhaust and a PCV with the tune from ulmer racing. I loved the power it added. Made a heck of a difference.

I still have the muffler and power commander with ulmers tune on it if anybody is looking for one. Send me a PM.

Premium Features