• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Exhaust for Nytro MTX

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If you dont use a decent muffler it will be loud, and you run the chance of plugging the pipe with snow if you run it straight back. A lot of guys run tunnel dumps with no problems though.
It has always seemed a waste of space just aft of the exhaust on the sled. By moving the exhaust down under, you would free up all that usable space on top??

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
It has always seemed a waste of space just aft of the exhaust on the sled. By moving the exhaust down under, you would free up all that usable space on top??

Yep, you free up all the space on the rear of the tunnel so you can actually use a rack, PLUS you can fab up some storage under the seat once you close off the hole. On top of that the stock muffler is HEAVY. You'll lose a few pounds by swapping it out to something aftermarket.

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
You could maybe work something out for a mid mount and an rear exit exhaust but it would be alot of work and money . also a guy would need a custom down pipe some kind of flex piping to couple it to the muffler so you didn't crack the pipe .WAY too much work for a loss in performance . How ever im sure any under tunnel muffler would work great with a supercharger set up !

YamTodd

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Spokane, Wa
I have run AAEN for the last year and love it better power and a sweat sound.
Hope to next year to add the header.

Y
Oct 27, 2013
I'm looking to put a slip on exhaust on my 2013 Nytro xtx 1.75.
Talking with the dealer, they state I will have al kinds of problems with mapping. You see every brand under the sun on nytros on utube. Is anyone finding these problems and will I have to buy a fuel management system to fix?

Last edited:

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It depends what type of slip on. you start to have issues when you start to let the engine breath better with any intake and/or exhaust mods. The stock map can not make adequate changes to the fuel curve and you will develop a lean condition. With just running a slip on you may or may not run into issues. It all depends on how open the exhaust and how much back pressure it provides. With a slip on your engine is still restricted by the stock header so the lean condition is less severe.

I have read people actually setting the sled into diagnostic mode thru the speedo and slightly adding fuel to the upper throttle positions to help. I believe you are able to add a percentage of fuel at 3 positions if I can remember right. closed to 1/3 throttle, 1/3 to 2/3 throttle, and 2/3 to WOT. There are several posts over on TY in the past talking about it.

Once you go to a header and exhaust system and/or intake kits you need to add a power commander to adjust the stock map to get full benefit of the exhaust system without letting the engine run lean.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Dealer drama...

You won't have any issues. The Nytro runs inherently rich as it is.

The fuel bump Bhome speaks of is only in the idle circuit... Where the sled is already too rich.

Sent from Moto's iPharce 5
PsychoSled.com - Got snow?

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Hey Moto

Thanks for the info. you obviously know more about the fuel curve on the Nytro then most from the development of your fuel bridge. I am curious do all nytro's run rich at just certain elevations or is it more across the board and they are just set up to run rich. I find this interesting because from what i read when doing research before buying an exhaust system, some people were reporting that they developed a lean pop after installing a slip or full exhaust system. this of course led me to beleive that the sleds were running lean and certain points. The other thing i found interesting was you can only bump of the fuel on the idle circuit through the speedo. Al lot of people were saying that you were able to set it across the full range. I realize some things you read on the internet forums are not true but there seemed to be a general consensus on this two things up until now. Again thank you for clearing thngs up a little :thumb:

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Hey Moto

Thanks for the info. you obviously know more about the fuel curve on the Nytro then most from the development of your fuel bridge. I am curious do all nytro's run rich at just certain elevations or is it more across the board and they are just set up to run rich. I find this interesting because from what i read when doing research before buying an exhaust system, some people were reporting that they developed a lean pop after installing a slip or full exhaust system. this of course led me to beleive that the sleds were running lean and certain points. The other thing i found interesting was you can only bump of the fuel on the idle circuit through the speedo. Al lot of people were saying that you were able to set it across the full range. I realize some things you read on the internet forums are not true but there seemed to be a general consensus on this two things up until now. Again thank you for clearing thngs up a little :thumb:

#1 - The internet is gospel.

#2 - The Nytro fuel system uses an IAT, ECT, and MAP sensors alone for fueling adjustment data

i.e. - air temp, coolant temp, pressure sensors - archaic technology at best.

#3 - Our findings were that the "lean pop" were either a TORS switch set out of range, throttle body sync issues, or the simple fact that all of the sleds we tested also had a "lean pop" with the OEM exhaust... The huge suitcase muffler just does a fine job of masking it.

#4 - Our belief is the pop is due to an over-enriched mixture in the exhaust system. Upon throttle regression (letting off throttle), the mixture ignites in the super heated exhaust... a simple backfire.

#5 - As far as the CO's (setting in the speedo)... We ran an o2 sensor and DynoJet setup on an OEM sled (with aftermarket can) for an entire season while doing R&D for the Bridge - CO's are a waste of time unless you need to clean up your idle. There are minimal and periodic lean spots in the Nytro, but none of them are of a detrimental magnitude on a NA sled.

#6 - The internet is gospel....

Last edited by a moderator:

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
#1 - The internet is gospel.

#2 - The Nytro fuel system uses an IAT, ECT, and MAP sensors alone for fueling adjustment data

i.e. - air temp, coolant temp, pressure sensors - archaic technology at best.

#3 - Our findings were that the "lean pop" were either a TORS switch set out of range, throttle body sync issues, or the simple fact that all of the sleds we tested also had a "lean pop" with the OEM exhaust... The huge suitcase muffler just does a fine job of masking it.

#4 - Our belief is the pop is due to an over-enriched mixture in the exhaust system. Upon throttle regression (letting off throttle), the mixture ignites in the super heated exhaust... a simple backfire.

#5 - As far as the CO's (setting in the speedo)... We ran an o2 sensor and DynoJet setup on an OEM sled (with aftermarket can) for an entire season while doing R&D for the Bridge - CO's are a waste of time unless you need to clean up your idle. There are minimal and periodic lean spots in the Nytro, but none of them are of a detrimental magnitude on a NA sled.

#6 - The internet is gospel....

#1 and #6 are why i read the internet faithfully thanks Jeff

L
Nov 15, 2014
did you find any hp gain with the barker muffler or is there more notice with the weight difference between the stock muffler and the barker muffler?

Premium Features