• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best clutch set-up 800 Dragon with SLP?

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
Have a 08 Dragon 8 that I will be installing a SLP single and was wondering who has the best clutch set-up? Would like to keep as much track speed as possible and will be riding between 8 to 10,000 feet. Also am considering
installing a Power Commander and was wondering if this would make a difference in clutching?

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I would first run what they recommend, they usually have great clutching w/their products.

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
PM AKSNOWRIDER. He has a great strong running clutch set up with the SLP single.

I would run the PC III just because of the mapping issues on the 800 which can be corrected with the controller.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
thanks nelson, town go to this thread..it list lots of good D-8 clutch setups..including mine....I have been riding mine with the stock pipe (promised dealer till polaris gets a fix for the fuel system) and my setup works darn good even with stockpipe...I pulled 2 loaded sleds (about 300 pds in each sled) into my cabin this weekend(50 miles one way) in heavy wet snow and while it actually got the belt warm it never missed a beat....(even dragging both sleds over open water on the creeks)...for this wet of snow I would go a little stiffer on bottom of primary spring (another 5 pds would be perfect)..but it would hurt performance every where else I think.....my setup really loads the motor from engagement up to 3/4 throttle which really helps with trenching...mine pulled 8200 at 5000 ft this weekend, up to 8350 at 2500 ft....hope this helps you.....http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128754

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
Thanks guys for all the info. I will be checking into some of these options.

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
this is what I run @7000 - 8000 ft

Slp intake ,reeds, single pipe, 19-45 gearing and a 78 pitch chain . For Drive clutch I run a slp blue /pink 64 gram weights ground to 62.8 all out of the tip . The Driven clutch I run all stock except 2 delrin washers in the spring . At 7500 ft it hits 8350 rpms . I have also dropped & rolled my chain case but I don't think it made any difference so I wouldn't do that again .The other important thing that I would do is vent it I put all of slp vent in it . At 8000 - 10000 ft you might try 62 gram weights other than that this should work great . Track speed should be alot faster than stock . Alot of people think that gearing that low you lose top end speed but with the right clutching and gearing your clutches will run out further so you don't lose any top end speed . Hope this helps

Premium Features