• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best BB kit

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
There weren't many on the snow last year. Kevin Hubbard had a 900 from BMP that seemed to run well. The videos are available on Facebook. I checked to see if Youtube had but it doesn't.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Just wanted to give some input on the BB idea haha not meant to be against it but maybe something to think about?, I played the big bore game back with a 09 M8, was very disappointed in that regard, my thoughts at the time were more power, but no added weight..... that kit I believe claimed to have that M8 running 195 hp? but at the end of the day after the money spend for it all I should of went with a turbo. the end product of my big bore on it was a engine with more low-mid range torque which them m8s seemed to lack, but top end was marginally more, And going from 800 to 909?? or so CC, you'd expect a big jump, It also consumed a lot of fuel, as much as turbo riders did. I was very unhappy with that extra 100CC, it cost more than a turbo kit would of and I was not much better than stock (something not right there, right?).

My other thoughts are, you are now at the mercy of the manufacturer down the road, when you do pop a piston or want to rebuild or in same regard the cylinders, its very pricey. at least when you keep your engine to OEM, in 5,10+ years you won't have issues getting parts.

That said, you KNOW, 100% with a turbo you are gaining power, no doubt about it at all, you can add as much or as little power as you'd like which is also nice..... and at the end of the day likely a cheaper item, maybe much cheaper. Where as the big bores you may gain a lot, or maybe a bit due to many variables in design, tuning and beyond.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Disagree. I'd rather a bb over a turbo after owning both.
Had a bb 860 with no problems
Have a boosted Polaris that's had nothing but problems. Many more parts and places to fail
If I were a billionaire I'd do bb again no question

Now who is the best builder? I'd say the one that's going to help on tuning or future failures, or someone that you know will be around a while for replacement parts.
Speed werx has been around a long time
Speed shop/bdx seems real popular with these
Bikeman is doing alot of YouTube tuning on them and we all saw the good vids of the Miku 880 Doo years back
All of them have good reviews but all of them also have hell fire bad reviews cause bad experiences create more typing in all caps

Z
Apr 26, 2017
Disagree. I'd rather a bb over a turbo after owning both.
Had a bb 860 with no problems
Have a boosted Polaris that's had nothing but problems. Many more parts and places to fail
If I were a billionaire I'd do bb again no question

Now who is the best builder? I'd say the one that's going to help on tuning or future failures, or someone that you know will be around a while for replacement parts.
Speed werx has been around a long time
Speed shop/bdx seems real popular with these
Bikeman is doing alot of YouTube tuning on them and we all saw the good vids of the Miku 880 Doo years back
All of them have good reviews but all of them also have hell fire bad reviews cause bad experiences create more typing in all caps

I think that’s all a matter of personal experience. I know guys who have run both big bores and turbos with no issues. I also know guys have have had nothing but trouble with both. At the end of the day, anytime you are going aftermarket, you run the risk of having more trouble than if you probably stayed stock. I am one of the guys running a turbo on my cat and I am very satisfied. Pull the rope and go.

I agree with the post above about turbos vs big bores. For me, if it came down to if I do have an issue, such as needing pistons etc. I stayed away from the big bore. I agree that you are at the mercy of the big bore maker on when you get replacement parts. Where’s with the turbo, if it’s not a turbo issue, I can get parts from cat relatively quickly. Also, it’s easy to pull the turbo off and flash it back to stock.

However, I do strongly agree with you that speedwerx is a solid option. If he wants to add some power and drop weight, their stage 2 kit is awesome! Sheds weight and adds some power. Runs on pure pump gas (unlike my turbo), and you just pull the rope and ride. I will probably go with their supercharger kit on my next one, but I’m a guy that likes boost, even though I really can’t come close to it’s full potential haha

H
Aug 26, 2010
I ve been running a D & D 901 for the last 6-7 years with no problems other than the ones I've created, rock solid platform, 194 hp on Dyno Tech dyno. The last one I built I bought a couple donor cylinders for a 100.00 bucks each and sent them to Priceless for porting then to Millenium for plating, add two pistons and rings for 400.00 from D & D and your well on your way.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I was really happy with my 2014 Prolite 900. Engine ran hard all the time. The only thing that I didn’t like is the big bore kit didn’t fix the mid range bog the Cat motors had.
I did 4 872 Trygstad engines and those ran perfect. As reliable as stock but another 20-25 HP.
A big consideration is what elevation you ride at. Most of my riding is 3000-6000 and thats where the BB shines. Over 8000 feet the turbo really comes into its own.
Ive new riding stock for the last couple years and super happy with the Doo 850 and Cat 800CTEC and I might be done with the mod sled.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I AM NOT disappointed with T8rz Performance/Stroker Customs big bores.

I have the 910 in my 2013 Pro, and it's been GREAT!
I rode the 962 (stroked 910) in the Axys and OMG it's burly! And they just put SLP Outlaw twins on it. CAN'T WAIT to see that one run.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
Big bore or supercharger is the only way I’ve experienced stock or better bottom end throttle, some big bore kits seem really aggressively ported witch helps make more top end but trades off a little from the bottom. Would love to try a redline turbo because they advertise stock like bottom end and if you have ever talked to Dave he seems like a sharp guy, or a silber because my buddies axys turbo is pretty darn good

Rinker

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
CO
I agree with the elevation. I'm in CO so 10k+ I would go turbo if I do anything again. I had the RK Tek 925 in my 16 and it ran good. The new turbo's have come a long way with reflashing the ECU's and better throttle response. Plus, 200+ HP at elevation is pretty sweet! BB are pretty fun in the trees with instant throttle response.

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
most all of my riding is in the trees that is why I am thinking BB I am looking for reliable pull and go with smooth power ban just more power without headaches

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
most all of my riding is in the trees that is why I am thinking BB I am looking for reliable pull and go with smooth power ban just more power without headaches

Same here. Really happy with my turbo set-up. The key is to run a lot of secondary pre-load. I actually bump the rev limiter from time to time when getting on it, but this keeps the motor on the pipe all day no matter where I am an or what I'm doing. The pump gas set-ups are key here too...don't get greedy and run too much boost. I run lower boost and this allows pump gas with a little octane booster...pump gas burns much better down low than race gas. And especially if you are higher elevation...the BB motors have less and less gains over stock the higher you go. Unless you run high compression heads...but then you need the race gas and your throttle response gets worse.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Cool...got my first "sad" for my comment/opinion above.

I'm gonna back that up with how my feelers are doing now.
:(

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Cool...got my first "sad" for my comment/opinion above.

I'm gonna back that up with how my feelers are doing now.
:(
I often hit the sad button when scrolling so it’s prolly a mistake. The sad button is right there under your finger where you scroll in the phone so it’s most likely what happened. Don’t be sad.

Last edited:
Premium Features