• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best base layers?

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Whats everybodys favorite base layers for wicking sweat and staying warm?

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I have used everything from patagonia, lifa, ice breaker, smart wool , ski doo, columbia, mountain hardwear and tons of others and the best for the money is Helly Hansen Lifa, the reason is that the material will not axcept water so it wicks it away from your skin, keeping you dry. Layer is the best. I live in bc and use a short sleeve lifa with a long sleeve over top then my shell, perfect in every condition except when it gets really cold minus 20 then use a warm layer under shell. Lifa is also the cheapest with ice breaker being the most and I find with wool it gets heavier and does hold moisture...it feels nice though.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Under Armour

with outlets all over you can score it for cheap now too.

Basically all poly is the same except for the cut and amount of stretch.

Under Armour's cut..fit..and finish is superior to most I have seen on the market.

plus that have all kinds of different thicknesses to choose from depending on your individual needs

capnkirk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2010
Appleton, WI
I have used Klim for three years now and like it very much. It seems to work great with my Klim mid layer and outer shell.

B

Burtonbreck

Jan 16, 2010
Breck
I agree with under armour, coldgear is great for cold days and their heatgear works well on warmer days. I also use nike procombat which has become better the last few years and Burton AK is always nice especially buying on proform:face-icon-small-ton!

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I got some stuff from Sportsman's Warehouse that seems to work great, but I can't remember the brand name. I comes in several varieties based on expected temps and activity levels. The stuff I bought is for high activity levels and cold to very cold temps. Used it last season and so far I'm very happy with it and went and got another couple of sets.

P.S. the brand is "ColdPruf"

Last edited:
S
Nov 30, 2007
I use the same base layers that I use in my backcountry elk/deer hunts. I prefer Ice Breaker and Ibex merino wool. You can get them on closeout at Sierra Trading Post either online or in Cheyenne store off I-80. What I like about wool is the ability to wear them for more than one day without washing them and I won't gag myself with BO. The poly stuff works, but you stink to high h*ll after a day sweating.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
im a t-shirt and blue jeans kinda guy.... But i wear a tekvest and knee pads so i usualy stay WAY to hot.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Question for you Under Armour guys, what weight are you wearing next to skin and for what temps?

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
Another under armour fan here, really like the compression fit. Over my ua, if it's cold, I wear a light fleece jacket and my exercise pants then my snow gear.

I also like the fact that they at least encourage if not support the hunting side of things unlike smartwool, etc.

I have just the basic compression cold gear, after I bought mine they came out with all the different weight so not sure what I would pick now.

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Question for you Under Armour guys, what weight are you wearing next to skin and for what temps?

9 times out of 10, I wear the thinnest under armour in temps of 20 deg plus. The mid layer fleece is worn for colder temps and usually for the ride back to the truck.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Actually, I just wear a pair of thermal bottoms, nike sweat pants, a sweatshirt and my snow gear.

I generally don't ride if its <0 degrees out.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Under Armor here as well or Nike dri fit, both work well for a base layer. I wear Under Armor everyday for work and it works!

For the guys who have never tried Under Armor before or guys who don't care for the "compression" fit, try going up one size. It's still compression fit but it's not vacuum seal tight!!

Premium Features