• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best avalanche backpack

Matthew runge

Goldy
Premium Member
Oct 5, 2018
Minnesota
What do you think about the weight do you feel that it is heavy compared to other packs I have been looking at the vest style bags but I am worried the vest style might get hot and or be harder to breath in

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Started out with a SnowPulse, then migrated over to the BCA Mtnpro Vest.
Have worn a couple of them now and Absolutely LOVE the vest.
Super conformable, and good chest/impact protection..

I have not yet tried one of the KLIM Atlas 26 Avalanche Airbag Pak

But that will be the next one on my list going forward.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I had the SnowPulse vest before and you definitely retain more core body heat, you just have to be more mindful of heat regulation. I also had an ABS Pack.
The vest is heavier but better balanced. I miss the chest protection the vest offered.
I put my radio, avalanche probe and a pair of super warm gloves in my pack and feel like the Klim Aspect is the lightest I’ve ridden with.
i love never having to worry about filling up a canister if I accidentally pull the handle if it snags on a tree (or a friends hand).

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
dakine poacher avi vest.
(Snowpulse RAS inside)

Holds shovel blade internally.
Lighter than the BCA.

Warning: doesn’t fit anyone chunky/overweight.

34” waist max.

Edit: I just saw it’s discontinued ??‍♂️

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
My current bag is Mammut due to its light weight. Bought it 4-5 years ago. I may try a Klim this season.

The link below is more geared towards skiers but there is a lot of information there that may help you.

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 9.16.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 9.18.25 AM.png

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Their ratings did not include the Klim bags but I see the top rated Black Diamond Jet Force uses the same Alpride airbag system that Klim uses.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I'm planning to get the smaller of the 2 klim ones. I tried it on at the dealer and I was surprised how light it was, I honestly thought the capacitor and fan weren't in it. It weighs less than my old motorfist non-avvy bag, and is wayyyyy lighter than my girlfriend's PIEPS Jetforce. I'm 6' 3" and the length felt good, but I didn't try the bigger one to compare as I prefer the smallest pack possible.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
PIEPS and Black Diamond are taking your money and giving a portion of every dollar you give them to activist groups whose primary goal is - shutting down your riding area. Period. Think Patagonia. It's a pretty simple picture. KLIM and BCA are much more invested in the right to ride. Choose wisely.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Does anyone know anything about the klim atlas 26. I see some of the paid riders using them I have heard they are heavy.
Rode with one all last winter, quality piece of gear. There is a bit of a learning curve as you need to charge it and make sure the batteries are fresh, not a big deal just what it takes to run this pack. Thought the weight would be a factor but it was not an issue and I even wore it while sled skiing in the back country. Very glad it was never needed.

J

Juztterberi

Banned
Sep 17, 2017
Snow shovel: This is essential for testing snow conditions and quickly digging out victims. A snow shovel is also a critical tool for making snow shelters. Most have detachable or telescoping handles for easy packing. Aluminum blades are light yet strong.

Premium Features