• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best areas to look within 30 miles of Twin Cities

S
Oct 24, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
My wife and I are moving here (Minneapolis area) and we want to use the snowmobile trail systems to their fullest potential. Obviously the season is on it's way out but we want to be fully setup to hit the ground running next year! We are looking for a home to rent our first year here, rural and private. With respect to the better or best snowmobile trail systems what areas should we look in that are within roughly 30 miles of North East Minneapolis (I-35w)

If you have a home you're considering renting we want a min of an acre, an out building / pole barn and two car garage. and... of course most importantly access to the trail systems from the home (no trailering required.) Being able to ride sleds on the property a huge+ :face-icon-small-hap

So in summary what are the best areas to live in with immediate access to the best snowmobile trail systems in the urban / rural areas.

sledking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
If you are looking north east minneapolis you will have to really stretch that 30 mile radius but you will get trails that come that close to minneapolis but the snow is really sparce when your that close to the cities. It gets a ton of traffic so it does not last but is usually enough to get you to better trails and snow conditions further from the cities. Best bet is to get another hobby like fishing/boating because snowmobiling wont be much.lol.

Welcome to Minnesota!

motodad383

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
Cambridge area might be your best bet. Might be pushing the 30 miles but is probably your best bet for snowmobiling that close to the cities.

S
Oct 24, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
We ended up finding a home in the Ham Lake area with snowmobile access directly from the house. Pretty much just cross the street and head north to multiple large lakes and trail system access. We're excited but we're going to miss the mountains out west. Honesly if I can come home and ride my sled every single day after work I'd trade that anyday for the maybe 10 rides I got in this year trailering.

M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
In my opinion some of the best sledding in minnesota is right in the southeast corner of the state (when we get snow of course) from where your going to be you could trailer to say Cannon Falls, Coats, or Pine Island and hit the trial system and go. Some of the most scenic trials are going in and out of the bluffs and then ripping up top on the rolling fields going thru or caressing towns like Wabasha, Lake City, Plainview, Hay Creek, Belchester, Rushford, Spring Grove, Kellogg, Harmony.....you get the picture. I'd get on the internet and find a snowmobile club and or get maps for the areas that you want. Welcome to Minnesota:cheer2:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Look at a map......

Roberts Wisconsin, Hudson Wisconsin, Houghton Wisconsin.....

that area has fantastic grooming and potential to rent what you are looking for.......

J
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis Area
I live about 15 miles north of the cities in a small town called circle pines. We are about 2 miles to a exit of 35W and my house is within 1/4 mile of the beginning of the rice creek snowmobile trail. (southern most point of the trail north of the cities) I have been out sledding every morning for the last week. Cruse out of my garage, on the street for a 1/4 mile and then on the trail....and they typically do not plow my street very well. The first 2 miles or so can be rough because the trail is the side of a road but once I get to the rice creek trail system it is good. from there we can go to Canada :).

There are some townhouses near a golf course Chomonix Golf Course that might have rentals. That golf course is where the trail starts in rice creek park.

Otherwise get yourself the Polaris app for smartphone and look at areas like Lino Lake, Forrest Lake or Hugo and find the roads that are near a trail. If you are close to a trail in those areas you can usually ride the road to the trail. Do not move to Blaine as you are not allowed to ride the road to the trail. If you can not download the app here is a website with the MN trail system. I think I copied it for Rice Creek http://www.etrailfinder.com/us/mn/trail/rice-creek

PM me if you have any questions. Welcome

Premium Features