• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt Drive Weight Loss

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Well thats kinda disappointing, expected more like 8ish. But when i was taking it all apart i noticed it was all pretty light

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
Most of the claimed weight loss from all companies comes from not having a gallon and a half of oil in the tank. Don’t get me wrong they are good improvements you can still factor in rotating weight.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
The weight loss is definitely the smallest benefit to a belt drive. I would say the main one is the benefit of not being totally screwed if you catch that low hanging chain case on a rock and poke a hole. There are also some noticeable performance benefits but overall I have about decided it isn't worth the cost and effort myself. Those parts are all so light from cat now. I would still love to see a factory belt drive but as far as if it is worth it to swap everything out, meh. Maybe I am just getting lazy in my old age.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I put a TKI belt drive on my 2016 AXYS that came factory with the Polaris Quickdrive system. The TKI was heavier because of the tensioner. There were noticeable performance gains because of gearing and because it rolled so much easier than the stock system that had to be run "banjo tight". The rotating mass of the chain drives is huge and more noticeable even when the total weight including gears is not much different. The Cat oil tank is also not the best design when it comes to access to the chain case for maintenance.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I put a TKI belt drive on my 2016 AXYS that came factory with the Polaris Quickdrive system. The TKI was heavier because of the tensioner. There were noticeable performance gains because of gearing and because it rolled so much easier than the stock system that had to be run "banjo tight". The rotating mass of the chain drives is huge and more noticeable even when the total weight including gears is not much different. The Cat oil tank is also not the best design when it comes to access to the chain case for maintenance.

Without a doubt the caincase and oil tank improvements from a belt drive are much better! Definitely one of the biggest benefits.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
if its even quicker response than the quick drive, thats sayin something for sure. the maintenance thing with the chain case is no big deal imo. basically maintenance free. just change the oil often, which is easy.
I think you can add another pound of weight savings to the belt drive since you probably won't worry about a chain case guard. something that's on my list still. so not too bad bang for your buck really, nice mod!

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
the last thing I put a belt drive on is for the weight loss. the better "snap", reliability, less maintenance, no oil to worry about etc is why I do it. no to mention if I blow I belt I just put a new one on. blow a chain your trip is ruined, possible chopper ride, inner/outer halves plus new chain/gears etc = a heck of a lot more than the original price of a belt drive

Pow-Shredder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2015
The Hills
Sorry guys didn’t mean to make it sound like the only reason I did the kit was for weight loss. I do it for all the other reasons stated above. Just thought I’d share information that I was curious about. Figured if I wondered it so did someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
if its even quicker response than the quick drive, thats sayin something for sure. the maintenance thing with the chain case is no big deal imo. basically maintenance free. just change the oil often, which is easy.
I think you can add another pound of weight savings to the belt drive since you probably won't worry about a chain case guard. something that's on my list still. so not too bad bang for your buck really, nice mod!

You are right about the chaincase guard. FWIW a good portion of my Cat customers buy the belt drive kit because they broke the chaincase.

Premium Features