• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt Deflection/Clutch Alignment

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
Ok, so finishing up some summer mods. Here's what I did, and prior to this, the clutches engaged just fine. 2014 HCR.

C3 Belt Drive and jackshaft change. I had already done the jackshaft upgrade, so this was simply changing out the same jackshaft for one that was tapped on both ends.

After reassembly, the belt deflection was super tight...like the machine won't idle without killing the motor. I checked clutch offset first, but noticed that the tool would not fit in the primary clutch to rest on the shaft section. Forgive me here, but this machine is turning into a bit of a frankenstein, and I can't remember which clutch upgrade I did. I think they are both 2016+. As you can see the primary has the TPI cover. So I'm wondering if I have the wrong alignment tool.

I noticed the belt would not seat all the way in the primary, so not sure if that's due to the secondary or what. I didn't touch the primary since it last worked.

I have no shims between secondary and jackshaft bearing, and no shims in the sheave adjuster.

Thanks for your help.

clutches.jpg

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
If belt is not going to the bottom of the primary loosen the screw in the adjuster by the cover and turn it counter clockwise until the belt will bottom out and give you about .0020 additional between the belt and sheave with belt bottomed out. The clutch adjustment tool should not be affected by the TPI cover once proper belt clearance has been set.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
If belt is not going to the bottom of the primary loosen the screw in the adjuster by the cover and turn it counter clockwise until the belt will bottom out and give you about .0020 additional between the belt and sheave with belt bottomed out. The clutch adjustment tool should not be affected by the TPI cover once proper belt clearance has been set.
Thx. I tried moving the primary adjustment screw. It won't budge.

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
If the allen head screw in the adjuster will not loosen it may have been locktighted. If so you will need to apply heat to release the locktight. Depending on which locktight it will take a lot of heat (maybe 300 degrees). Also it is a right hand screw.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
I figured it out. Silly error. The set screw had loosened, and the adjusting collar had tightened all the way not allowing the belt to fully seat. I got the adjusting collar loose with a pipe wrench then reset it. I did blue loctite the set screw for good measure.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
FYI looks like you still have the "big fin" secondary used on the 2014 and 2015 sleds so an alignment bar from those years should be used.

Premium Features