• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beginners snowbike?

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I am with Dr. Z. I am 6‘1“ and have the S model riot three. Much easier to ride everywhere and I don’t notice the toe drag barely at all. And it is deep here. We’re riding Utah. Maybe not such an issue in the super light snow? heavier snow yanks your feet off the pegs more. I recommend the S model for everyone here. I am sure you will find a snowbike. Much easier to ride than a sled, but they definitely both have their place. Unfortunately it takes many years to get good on a sled. I know. I destroyed many of them in the 20 years I rode them

A
Nov 14, 2017
I only have one ride in my S, but I am already in love with it. I am 5"11 and I dont really care about the seat height when getting on the bike. I wanted something that had a lower center of gravity.

I couldn't believe how much better it turned, and just how much more stable it felt. I switched with my buddies for short durations and really didn't like the higher center of gravity on their bikes.

The toes in the snow was worse on my bike and it is annoying for sure. That is something you have to accept, but for me I think the trade off is absolutely worth it. Time will tell if I still feel this way about it after more rides.

C
Sep 8, 2014
Crested Butte
I only have one ride in my S, but I am already in love with it. I am 5"11 and I dont really care about the seat height when getting on the bike. I wanted something that had a lower center of gravity.

I couldn't believe how much better it turned, and just how much more stable it felt. I switched with my buddies for short durations and really didn't like the higher center of gravity on their bikes.

The toes in the snow was worse on my bike and it is annoying for sure. That is something you have to accept, but for me I think the trade off is absolutely worth it. Time will tell if I still feel this way about it after more rides.
Can a non S model be lowered like an S?

Keep those toes up!
Snow Chimps have a video with a toe jammer leg breaker stump.

A
Nov 14, 2017
Can a non S model be lowered like an S?

Keep those toes up!
Snow Chimps have a video with a toe jammer leg breaker stump.
Yes, you can have your shocks shortened and buy an "S" spindle from timbersled.

Or as someone else said in this thread, there may be people who got the S and hate it, and then you could trade shocks and spindles with those guys.

Hazards are present no matter the height of the bike. I believe the difference in height is 2". For sure the 2" is a factor, but its not the end of the world.

Maybe by the end of the season my opinion will change. Time will tell. Right now I can't see myself wanting to go back to feeling like I am judging a tennis match while riding.

P
Dec 15, 2018
I hit a stump last year and broke both my thumbs lol. Ripped the right front of my sled off. Exspensive. Would suck bad to hit your feet or legs. How it is I guess. Go to burandts Facebook and watch the awful crash in his page today . Stumps are very nasty!

C
Sep 8, 2014
Crested Butte
Yes, you can have your shocks shortened and buy an "S" spindle from timbersled.

Or as someone else said in this thread, there may be people who got the S and hate it, and then you could trade shocks and spindles with those guys.

Hazards are present no matter the height of the bike. I believe the difference in height is 2". For sure the 2" is a factor, but its not the end of the world.

Maybe by the end of the season my opinion will change. Time will tell. Right now I can't see myself wanting to go back to feeling like I am judging a tennis match while riding.
For sure, hazards are always lurking under the pow.
I bet that the S chassis is only going to gain popularity.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Good boots and shin/knee pads are a must. I also wear an Aircage which is a full arm/chest protector thing. It has saved from gray ghost dried dead tree spear branches countless times.

M5

D
Apr 25, 2019
WA
I'll often pop the toes on top of the pegs in a questionable area. Keeps them from hanging down and getting caught. There is always that one you don't expect though.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I am constantly reminding myself to pull my feet back on the pegs. Did that on my non-S kit also. Always remind new riders to do the same.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Yah me too. I still find myself dragging my uphill foot like a rudder occasionally with top of my foot down on steep sidehills once and a while or for sure when I'm doing a really tight bar dragging donut. Same same, say to myself "WTF am I doing I'm just asking for it". Its a bad habit, I don't do it often but it happens.

M5

P
Dec 15, 2018
Guess maybe someone should or maybe they have , made steel reinforced boots? But maybe they need to have Kevlar or steel in the shin too ? I wear ordinary snow boots so I’d be in bad trouble if my foot went under something! Ugh can’t think about that. Had a friend going Mach 1 on his snowmboard go half and half with a tree and that was just painful ugly and expensive. Got to ride in a helicopter but not the fun way. ****e now you guys are scaring me!!! Lol

mumur

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
@Pinchecharlie I'm in Bozeman and also lacking people to ride with right now. I'm a patient guy, have taught a lot of people (including people with no bike or sled experience) to ride. I'm far from a mechanical expert but I've set up 2 bikes now and helped set up a third. I'll PM you my number, you can reach out if you want to chat/pick my brain IRL.

Premium Features