• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bearclawbob cooke city

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The snowman has kept his promise. We've picked up about 5 inches. We could see about 10 inches by Sunday night. Keep up with the snow dance.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Cooke City. Sorry I didn't answer the last question last week. I haven't been posting much after that. We had picked up about a foot on the mountain last week. Yesterday the riding I would say was the best for some time. Found some powder and the base is firming up. The snowman is calling for more snow to move in this coming Tuesday and Wednesday.
The state has closed down all bars and restaurants. At this time the bakery is open until Sunday with a carry out breakfast. Buns and Beds and Soda Butte are offering carry out for lunch and dinner. Remember that the Super eight offers a continental breakfast and also has a gas grill to cook on.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Is travel from Gardiner to Cooke closed right now because of the park closure?

That is my understanding: the roads through the park are all closed. You can still get there through Chief Joseph highway (WY296), but looks like that's the only way now.

Edit: Chief Joseph will take you to the pilot creek parking lot, not all the way to Cooke yet, although they may work to open it sooner.

Last edited:

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
Effective immediately, Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks are closed to all park visitors until further notice. There will be no visitor access permitted to either park. State highways and/or roads that transcend park/state boundaries and facilities that support life safety and commerce will remain open. Both parks will cooperate on the implementation of the closures. We will notify the public when we resume full operations and provide updates on our website and social media channels.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
So no one from Cooke City can leave by car at this time? Hard to believe.

essential/need based travel. It’s not that the road is closed. It’s that the park is closed to visitors. So if you want to go sledding in Cooke, are you a visitor to the park? I’d argue not. But hard to make a case that sledding is essential? ??‍♂️

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Saw this on one of the FB pages I follow. Not sure if it's a definitive "stay out" for non-residents, but they're definitely looking to keep people out. It's a shame because it's at least two months of lost business for the people who live and work there.

Travel Restrictions to Cooke City/ Silvergate

The Park County Health Department is requesting that anyone who is not a permanent resident or a provider of essential services avoid all travel to the Cooke City/Silvergate area at this time. This includes both single day and overnight visitors.

See full PC Health Department Media Release here:
www.parkcounty.org/uploads/files/departments/18/March-28-Cooke-City-Silver-Gate-Travel-Restrictions.pdf

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
The word I saw was a chimney fire at the Soda Butte Lounge. No details beyond that, or indication of what the damage was.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
With this corona virus the worlds going through. I hope everyone is well and safe. We will all get through this problem soon.

From the Super 8 motel, Bearclaw Bob's and Bearclaw Bakery we wish all will be safe.

With even better news. LOL The snow has been awesome. We picked up about 2.5 feet of snow April 1st on the mountain and a foot in town. The snowman is showing more snow to come. It's to bad we are locked down and the park road is closed. Now law enforcement is coming up checking people to see if they belong her or not. If not, they will be asked to leave.

Last Thursday afternoon, I was plowing the road beside of the Super 8 and saw smoke and flames rising 4 feet into the air. I ran into the motel and called 911 to report the fire. Then ran over to the soda Butte to tell them. The fire place chimney caught fire. The bad news that they had to cut a good size area on the roof to get to the hot spots, but no other damage.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With this corona virus the worlds going through. I hope everyone is well and safe. We will all get through this problem soon.

From the Super 8 motel, Bearclaw Bob's and Bearclaw Bakery we wish all will be safe.

With even better news. LOL The snow has been awesome. We picked up about 2.5 feet of snow April 1st on the mountain and a foot in town. The snowman is showing more snow to come. It's to bad we are locked down and the park road is closed. Now law enforcement is coming up checking people to see if they belong her or not. If not, they will be asked to leave.

Last Thursday afternoon, I was plowing the road beside of the Super 8 and saw smoke and flames rising 4 feet into the air. I ran into the motel and called 911 to report the fire. Then ran over to the soda Butte to tell them. The fire place chimney caught fire. The bad news that they had to cut a good size area on the roof to get to the hot spots, but no other damage.

Seems like we should be hearing from BOB right about now...

Premium Features