• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bearclawbob cooke city

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from the town of Cooke city. I made it back from the trip safe. The snowman let me down. He is telling me that we have a chance of snow from today to next Sunday. With Today and Tuesday having over a 70% chance. Lets start up the snow dance. It's getting tracked up. The good news the base is really getting good.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Avalanches can break deep and wide on weak layers near the ground if a trigger hits the right spot. Avoid heavily wind loaded slopes, where large slides can be triggered from thinner areas of the snowpack. Carefully assess snowpack and terrain before riding on or under steep slopes. If you see a poor snowpack structure or expect a bad outcome, then find lower angle terrain.
Today, large avalanches are possible to trigger and avalanche danger is MODERATE.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Morning from the town of Cooke city. I made it back from the trip safe. The snowman let me down. He is telling me that we have a chance of snow from today to next Sunday. With Today and Tuesday having over a 70% chance. Lets start up the snow dance. It's getting tracked up. The good news the base is really getting good.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Avalanches can break deep and wide on weak layers near the ground if a trigger hits the right spot. Avoid heavily wind loaded slopes, where large slides can be triggered from thinner areas of the snowpack. Carefully assess snowpack and terrain before riding on or under steep slopes. If you see a poor snowpack structure or expect a bad outcome, then find lower angle terrain.
Today, large avalanches are possible to trigger and avalanche danger is MODERATE.

We are trying to keep up the snow dance... Will be there Tuesday for the rest of the week. Will definitely be in for coffee and breakfast.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw and the Bakery. Sorry about the cam's. I'll work on them today. The snowman is trying to give us snow, but the chances are slim. Today's chance has dropped down to 50%. But we do have a chance now till next Monday. We did pick up about 2-3 inches since yesterday morning.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today avalanches are possible to trigger and avalanche danger is MODERATE. Carefully assess snowpack and terrain before riding on or underneath steep slopes. The forest service is providing a avalanche course on Friday nights, go check it out.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Great morning in Cooke city. The sun is out for a second day. The snowman is calling for a WINTER STORM WATCH FROM TODAY THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT. With the most of the storm hitting on Sunday morning. We could see any thing from 10-20 inches. The sad thing it looks like it might go North of us and hit Red Lodge. Lets start dancing to keep the snow on our side.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Strong winds and new snow over the last week formed wind drifts on many slopes. These wind drifts have been avalanching. Alex triggered a 2-3 ft deep wind slab in Cooke City on Thursday and a number of natural wind slabs were reported as well.
Unusual weather makes for unusual avalanches. We aren’t often dealing with wet snow avalanches at the beginning of February, but the combination of unseasonably warm temperatures and direct sun today make them a real possibility. Be on alert if you find the snow surface getting wet and sticky this afternoon. Roller balls and pin wheels are clear signs that the danger of triggering a wet loose avalanche is increasing.

With a range of avalanches possible, the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE today.
I've had people forget to mention the Snowest discount at the Super 8. You can save money if you tell them that when making the reservation.
The bakery open's at 5 for coffee and rolls and breakfast at 6am. Stop in and get a free cup of coffee at 5 am.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
NEWS...... The snowman has put us in a winter storm warning. We could see 1 - 2 feet before it's all over. I've got the web cams up and running.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Snow snow snow,,,, Morning from Bearclaw and the Bakery. The snowman hasn't changed his mind today. The forecast is calling for about a foot before the storm moves out. At this time it's still windy, with temp's in the upper 20's. For the Red Lodge area, they could see 1.5 feet. Lets see if we can pull that snow that Red Lodge could get, back to us. Keep up the snow dance.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS:
Today snowfall could be heavy and avalanche danger will increase. As new snow piles deeper, fresh slabs and dry loose avalanches are possible to trigger. These slides will be larger and easier to trigger this afternoon. Take a step back from objectives that require travel through avalanche terrain. Anticipate decreasing stability, and minimize exposure and commitment to steep slopes.

Today avalanches are possible to trigger and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE. Stability will decrease through the day as new snow forms slabs and adds weight to buried weak layers. Dangerous avalanche conditions could develop by this afternoon.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Afternoon from Bearclaw and the Super 8 motel. The snowman left us about 8 inches since yesterday. We do have a good 1.5 feet on the mountain. He's saying we might see another couple by tomorrow morning. Looks like most of the snow went to the north of us. Tomorrow will be a sunny day followed by a 80% chance on Wednesday.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Be extra cautious of wind loaded slopes, and carefully evaluate the snowpack and terrain before riding any steep slope. Avalanches are possible to trigger and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Cooke City. It's been a long week of plowing snow. The snowman was very giving for this go around. The mountain received between 3=4 feet, with drifting over the past week. Yesterday it was starting to set up and you could get around better. I'ts 5 below this morning. Starting Monday, we could see 7 more days of snow. But for today we will see sun.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The combination of poor visibility, strong winds, new snow, and weak layers deep in the snowpack should keep you on your toes and off of steep slopes. For today, the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw and the Super 8 motel. It was great snow from Thursday to Sunday. The snow was over the hoods. The riding should still be great. The snowman is calling for a 70% today and 40% chance tomorrow of snow. Then we will see below zero temps at night till Saturday with sun and snow moves back in on Sunday.

AVALANCHE DANGER: Dave is in Cooke City. His concerns are two-fold: winds have drifted snow that could avalanche, and weak, sugary snow at the ground still has the potential to slide. He could feel the unconsolidated snow at the ground when he probed into the 10-foot deep snowpack. His concerns mirrored mine in Lionhead on Saturday . For today, avalanches are still possible and the danger is rated MODERATE. Do not get on steep slopes or wind-loaded slopes if you get cracking or collapsing.

At Bearclaw the shop and overnight storage had lots of use. Thanks to everyone that used it. If your looking for a tool or a warm place to store your sleds and work on them, Stop in and see me.

We do rent and sell all types of AVALANCHE EQUIPMENT. If your looking for a place to fill your avalanche tank stop in.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Cooke city and Bearclaw. The snowman gave us a couple of inches over night. We will see partly cloudy skies today with a slight chance of snow showers. Tonight we'll have lows below zero. Wednesday and Thursday will see sun, with temps in the upper teens and low 4 below. But it will start warming up for the weekend with snow moving back in. Lets start the snow dance so we can have good powder again.
The riding was again great and it should be that way for today.

I might have to head back to Fremont Ne. to handle the flooding again around the house. I'll know more by Thursday.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: I spent the last two days in Cooke City and found a stabilizing snowpack, but one that isn’t completely trustworthy yet. Today, be cautious in areas that received more new snow and maintain a healthy distrust of the weak snow near the ground. It is still possible to trigger deep and destructive avalanches on the sugary snow as yesterday’s slide in Buck Ridge demonstrates. The avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
After noon in Cooke city. It's been a long week, deciding if I was going to Ne. The water went down, but they are still in a flood alert.
For the last few days, it's been zero at night and in the teens during the day. The snowman is calling for snow starting tonight for 2 days. We could see up to 8 inches when it's all over. Keep up the snow dance.

AVALANCHE CONITIONS: Today it is possible to trigger avalanches many feet deep on weak sugary snow near the bottom of the snowpack. Choose routes that minimize exposure to avalanche terrain. Avalanche danger is MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw and the bakery. The snowman was good to us yesterday. The mountain was great for riding and it was a blue bird day. Today will be mostly sunny. At this time we are above zero at 10 degrees. The snowman is calling for snow for Saturday and Sunday. Then we'll see sun for Monday and snow moving back into the picture for Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'll do some checking to see when sledfest will be this year. i know that it's in the first part of April.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The snowpack near Cooke City and West Yellowstone is generally stable. The avalanche danger is rated LOW today.

Don't forget about the Hog Roast March 14.

B
Jan 18, 2017
How are conditions at the Top of the world? we are planning to come out the second week in march and we like to ride there. just wonder if the snowpack is deeper than last year. or if I should pack a few A-arms. haha.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
How are conditions at the Top of the world? we are planning to come out the second week in march and we like to ride there. just wonder if the snowpack is deeper than last year. or if I should pack a few A-arms. haha.

Would guess snowpack is similar to last year. Hasn't been a big snow year, but neither was last year. I haven't been there this season, but it's been warmer and drier the last couple weeks, so it'll probably be more like spring conditions. I'm in the area and like riding up there, PM me if you're open to adding to your group.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Afternoon every one. The snowman is calling for a snow storm moving in tonight through Tuesday night. We could see up to 6 inches before it's all over. Then more snow moving back in for next weekend for the Hog Roast. Lots of great gifts to be won and pork to be eaten. LOL

The snow conditions at this time are just like any other year. We could see snow, but It's been getting warm in the afternoon and cooling down to freezing the top couple of inches over night. But riding isn't that bad. Lots of snow and you can find untouched areas if you look for them.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw and the Super 8 motel. The snowman has given us about 3 inches overnight. We can still see maybe another 6 inches before it's all over.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: If you step off your skis and sink to the ground in wet snow, like Ian did yesterday, then you should back off your objective. This is a sign the snowpack has lost strength. Wet snowpacks are unpredictable and could avalanche as the skiers in Hyalite discovered. If the snow is dry, then slopes will be generally stable. For today the dry snow avalanche danger is rated LOW. However, the wet snow avalanche danger will increase to MODERATE on slopes getting direct sunshine.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Afternoon from Cooke city. The snowman is calling for SNOW. The snowman is calling for heavy snow. Total snow accumulations of 8 to 15 inches. From Saturday morning through Sunday evening.

The pig roast is on for tomorrow. It hasn't been canceled yet. LOL

Hope to see everyone here tomorrow.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Large avalanches are unlikely and the avalanche danger is LOW. Still be caref

Premium Features