• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bearclawbob cooke city

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw and the Super 8 motel. Since Monday morning we've picked up about 2 inches. The winds been plowing about 25-35 mph. The snowman is still calling for snow Thursday and Friday. DANCE , Dance , Dance.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Weekend riders triggered several large avalanches with close calls on Mount Abundance and Crown Butte . Yesterday, Doug and Ian rode north of Cooke City and found an icy crust with weak facets under two to three feet of snow. This crust is not everywhere so you have two options to stay safe if you want to ride in avalanche terrain. You can dig a snowpit on slopes where you are considering playing to look for this weak layer or you can give it a few more days without snow before venturing into avalanche terrain. Today it will still be possible to trigger large, consequential avalanches and the danger is rated MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from cold Cooke City, temp's are around 8 above. The snowman is calling for a slight chance of snow tomorrow and again one day for next week. It's not looking good. We need to start the snow dance back up again.
Reports from the top of the world are sugar snow and no base. It's got about the same snow pack as Cooke.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: On Monday, Ian and I investigated a large slide on Mt. Abundance that was triggered by a sledder who was unharmed, unlike his totaled sled. We posted photos of many avalanches that occurred on Saturday, December 14. These slides on Mt. Fox, Republic Creek, the Fin and Crown Butte are reminders to not be complacent. Although slopes have become less sensitive to triggering, avalanches are still possible. Popular riding spots like the south face of Scotch Bonnet and south face of Mt. Abundance have this weak layer and are suspect. For today, the avalanche danger is MODERATE. Ride and ski with partners, watch each other, only go one at a time on steep slopes and carry rescue gear.

I've brought in a lot of new Items. Stop in and check them out. We do fill Avy bottles and also rent all types of avalanche equipment.
If your need a cup of coffee early in the morning stop in between 5 and 6 am and get a free cup at the Bakery.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Cooke city. The snowman raised the percentage to 40% today. Next week we have picked up more days. Tuesday through Friday with a 30% chance each day. The snow dance is working. Keep it up.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: In the mountains around Cooke City be on the lookout for a weak layer near a crust in the middle of the snowpack. Yesterday, Alex dug south of town and found this weak layer still reactive on a windloaded southwest facing slope. This weak layer is most prevalent on sunny slopes. Before riding in avalanche terrain do your homework by digging looking for the weak layer. The avalanche danger is MODERATE today.

We have 5 days till Christmas. If your looking for a Christmas gift stop in and check out what I offer. Maybe some one will get it for you.
Just remember to ask for the Snowest discount when booking at the Super 8 motel. You'll save money if you do.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
It's a clear morning here in Cooke city. Someone didn't dance so we didn't pick up any snow yesterday. The snowman is still calling for snow next week. It's at a 40% chance at this time.

AVALANCHE CONDITION: Triggering an avalanches remains possible today on slopes with crusts and weak layers in the middle of the snowpack. Alex was in Cooke City for the last couple days and was finding this facet-crust combination still reactive on sunny slopes.
Dig down to look for these weak layers. The snowpack is still relatively thin, so it won’t take too long. Avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is MODERATE today.

I've brought in 110 octane fuel if your in need of some.
Some thing else that is new for this year. I've got cans of oxygen for hang overs or what else you can think of.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I'ts an ok morning here in Cooke city. We did survive Christmas. We left for a few days. So the update here is, we picked up a couple of inches Tuesday and Wednesday. The snowman is calling for snow Saturday and Sunday. Then another storm moves in late Tuesday through Friday. With Thursday at 70%. I do have to admit that i was slacking. I didn't do the snow dance since we've been gone. So lets start dancing right now.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Yesterday, skiers saw recent avalanches on steep, east facing, wind loaded slopes off Henderson and Sheep Mountains. Triggering avalanches is possible today, both directly beneath the new snow on windloaded slopes or on weak layers buried 1-2 ft deep. The avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I'ts an ok morning here in Cooke city. We did survive Christmas. We left for a few days. So the update here is, we picked up a couple of inches Tuesday and Wednesday. The snowman is calling for snow Saturday and Sunday. Then another storm moves in late Tuesday through Friday. With Thursday at 70%. I do have to admit that i was slacking. I didn't do the snow dance since we've been gone. So lets start dancing right now.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Yesterday, skiers saw recent avalanches on steep, east facing, wind loaded slopes off Henderson and Sheep Mountains. Triggering avalanches is possible today, both directly beneath the new snow on windloaded slopes or on weak layers buried 1-2 ft deep. The avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.
Bob your web cameras don’t seem to update. Thx. Nick

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I just got them working again. You should be good to go. You can find them at bearclawsalesandservice.com

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw Bakery and the Super 8 motel. The snowman didn't produce for us. He took the 40% chance today away. It's still on for tomorrow. He did raise the percentage up next week for 70% on Wednesday and Thursday. Keep up the snow dance.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Yesterday, a rider saw two fresh large avalanches on a NE aspect of Henderson Mountain with snowmobile tracks nearby. It’s unclear if these broke naturally or were triggered by the snowmobilers. Either way, these slides are a cause for concern. They broke several hundred feet wide and up to four feet deep. That is a lot of snow moving downhill and not something you want to mess around with. Triggering a similar slide is possible today on weak layers buried in the middle of the snowpack. Think carefully about the consequences of triggering an avalanche and make a solid plan before getting into steep terrain. The avalanche danger is MODERATE.

We do have 110 octane fuel in stock. Stop in and check out the new 2.0 radio from Roam. They work with the BCA,but less the money.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw and the Super 8 motel. The snowman is coming through with the storm that's coming in next week. He has moved up the percentage to 80% on Wednesday and it's still 70% on Thursday and Friday. Keep up the snow dance.
It was 6 below this morning. Temps will be warming up by Wednesday.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS:
In the mountains near Cooke City human triggered and natural avalanches were reported each of the last four weekends. These avalanches broke deep and wide on buried weak layers. They show a poor snowpack structure exists, and large, deadly avalanches are possible to TRIGGER.

For the last couple weeks snowfall and wind have added minimal load to the snowpack. This allowed the snowpack to gain stability which means there are no warning signs like natural avalanches or collapsing. Multiple riders can make tracks on a slope before someone hits a weaker spot and triggers a large avalanche. Do not let tracks fool you into thinking a slope is safe. Carefully evaluate the snowpack and consequences of a slide before riding on steep slopes. Avalanche danger is MODERATE.

Every Friday and Saturday, Snowpack Update and Rescue Training. Friday, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Soda Butte Lodge. Saturday anytime between 10-2 @ Round Lake.

I do fill Avy bottles and rent and sell Avalanche equipment. Stop in and check out the great prices.

We do have 110 octane if your looking for some.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Afternoon from Cooke city. The temps was 3 above this morning at this time it's 9 above. The snowman has put us in a winter storm warning till Thursday morning. He says we might see up to 12 inches. See, the snow dance does work. Keep it up. I hope every one has a great New years.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Doug and I spent the last two days north of Cooke City looking at several large, human triggered avalanches from earlier in the weekend. These avalanches broke 3-6’ deep and 100-250’ wide. Riders likely triggered these avalanches when they hit thin areas in the snowpack and their weight impacted the weak snow. Today, it is possible to trigger similar avalanches on slopes where heavy wind slabs cap a weak layer facets near the ground. While the story is challenging because some slopes are unstable and others are not, the solution is simple. Avoid steep slopes with heavy slabs of snow and you will avoid the primary hazard. Carefully assess the snowpack if you choose to ride in steep terrain. The avalanche danger is rated MODERATE and it is possible to trigger large avalanches.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
It's a great morning here in Cooke city. The snowman came through and we picked up between 6-7 inches by 9;30 am. The snowman is calling for about another 6 inches by late tonight. Keep up the great snow dance. He did put a 50% chance from Thursday night till Saturday.

AVALANCHE CONDITONS: Snowfall and wind will continue today and slopes that are wind-loaded are the biggest concern. The new snow will not bond well to the old surface and this interface is where most avalanche activity will occur. Additionally, there is weak snow at the ground which will become increasingly stressed from the weight of today’s snow. Avalanches from Friday and our field investigation on Sunday and Monday show the potential for deep avalanches.
For today, avoid slopes that have been recently wind-loaded and stick to lower angled terrain. The avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE on wind-loaded slopes and MODERATE on all others.

HAPPY NEW YEAR from a deep powder town.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just to let everyone know. It's still snowing lightly. We've picked up another couple more inches since this morning.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
After noon from Bearclaw and the Super 8. What a great day to ride. Lots of powder to enjoy. The snowman is still calling for more snow for Friday and Saturday (70%) Sunday through Wednesday we are looking at a 50% chance. Keep up the snow dance.

If you are wanting to make a reservation at the Super 8, make sure you tell them that you would like the SNOWEST discount. This will save you money.

Do you need a avalanche bottle filled, we can do it for you. We can rent you a beacon or other avalanche equipment.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: In the last 48 hours the mountains around Cooke City have 12” of new snow measuring .9” SWE, and reportedly higher amounts at upper elevations. Winds have been blowing this new snow around and both natural and human triggered slides are on the menu. Small, natural avalanches were seen yesterday by multiple parties. Ian and his partner rode around assessing the conditions and concluded that he does not trust the stability. “It’s been snowing, blowing, we’ve got weak layers in the snowpack…play it safe, keep it mellow.” Additionally, some slopes have weak, sugary snow at the ground that could be triggered from thinner areas . Given the likelihood of triggering avalanches in the new snow as well as the potential for deep slides breaking at the ground, the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE today.

Every Friday and Saturday, Snowpack Update and Rescue Training. Friday, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Soda Butte Lodge. Saturday anytime between 10-2 @ Round Lake.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Great surprise this morning. Woke up at 4 am. to see if I was going to plow. Only had 2 inches. Went out side at 6;30 am and found 5=6 inches of snow. The snowman is calling for more today and tomorrow. Then a good chance all next week for snow. Keep up the dancing. The report on the mountain that's its getting deep.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The mountains near Cooke City have multiple avalanche concerns, but for today the strategy to deal with all of them is simple – avoid steep slopes. While this storm generally brought a foot of new snow (1” of SWE) to the mountains around Cooke City, yesterday I found some areas with closer to two feet of new snow with deeper drifts. These drifts were cracking and a number of small avalanches were seen in the new snow. If that’s not enough to keep you off steep slopes, there is also the possibility of avalanches breaking near the ground. Slopes that stayed shallow through the early season have weak snow at the ground that just got a big load put on top (video). Human triggered avalanches are likely and the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Late afternoon from Cooke. The snowman stopped the snow yesterday afternoon. We picked up about another foot. The mountain is soooo deep, you will get stuck. He's telling me that we are still in for more snow for at least 7 more days.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The combination of heavy snowfall earlier this week (1-2 ft with 1-1.7” of snow water equivalent), strong winds, and weak layers in the snowpack have created dangerous avalanche conditions. Avalanches can break beneath the new snow (1-2 ft deep), in a wind drift (3-4 ft deep), or on weak layers near the ground. Numerous natural and human triggered avalanches have been reported in the Bridger Range, near Big Sky, and near Cooke City

Avoid steep slopes to avoid triggering a large avalanche. Human triggered avalanches are likely and the avalanche danger is CONSIDERABLE

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw and the Super 8 motel. The snowman is still calling 6 more days of of snow. We picked up about an inch over night. The snow is great with a good base in most area's. With area's with deep snow.
If you are having problems with your sled or just need to rent a snowmobile, get a hold of me and check out what I offer. I rent most brands. I'll let you work on your sled in a heated garage and you can store your sleds over night.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS:Today throughout the advisory area similar large, deadly avalanches are possible to trigger. Today the snowpack gets a break from loading by heavy snow and strong wind, and will slowly begin to stabilize. Avalanches breaking on persistent weak layers are becoming harder to trigger, but the consequences are high whether a slide is one foot or four feet deep. Smaller avalanches can also break within drifts of recent snow, and are most hazardous where debris can pile deep or push you into trees or cliffs. Travel on slopes protected from recent wind, and carefully assess the snowpack and terrain before riding on slopes steeper than 30 degrees. Today avalanches are possible to trigger and avalanche danger is MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Early morning from Cooke city. We picked up about an inch over night. The snowman is showing we could pick up a foot of snow today and tonight. We have a chance of snow for 8 day.s Keep up the great work everyone for the snow dance.
It's to early for a avalanche report.

Guys, work on your sleds in a heated garage and store them over night if needed.
We also fill Avalanche bottles and sell and rent all types of avalanche gear. Stop in and see what we offer.

In stock we have 110 octane fuel made by VP.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just got in from plowing. Started at 5 am this morning. We picked up 8-10 inches with major drifting. The snowman is calling for another 6 days of snow.
Keep up the snow dance, we can use more snow.

Don't forget to mention the snowest discount when booking at he Super 8. This will save you money.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The avalanche equation in Cooke City is simple. Heavy snow and wind in the last 24 hours will result in avalanches today. The mountains received 10” of snow last night adding up to .9” of snow water equivalent (swe) and winds are gusting up to 40 mph on ridgetops. Ian explains avalanche precautions on storm days like this. You are very likely to trigger avalanches in wind loaded areas and likely to trigger slides everywhere else. Avalanches within the new snow will be large and it is possible to trigger slides breaking deeper into the snowpack like those on Henderson and Chimney Rock ten days ago. Stick to low angle slopes today and avoid flat areas underneath avalanche terrain. The avalanche danger is rated HIGH on wind loaded slopes and CONSIDERABLE in all other areas.

Premium Features