• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bearclawbob cooke city

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
It was a busy day with the bakery and snow plowing. The snowman was wonderful to us. We picked up 7-8 inches of snow. The dancing is working, keep it up. I plowed from 5 am to 3 pm. The snowman is calling for snow tomorrow but don't hold your breath. The next day for snow is Saturday and Sunday.

When booking reservations at the Super 8, don't forget to mention the snowest discount. If you don't, you won't save money.

I do fill avy bottles and rent and sell avy packs. Come in and check them out.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw and the Super 8 motel. The snowman gave us lots of wind yesterday and we picked up about another 3 inches out of this storm.
The snowman is calling for another storm moving in Saturday through Tuesday.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: For today, the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE on all wind-loaded slopes and LOW on all others.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Cooke city. Sorry for not posting, been to meetings this week.
The snowman is calling for a foot of snow by Monday morning. Then it will be clearing for a few days. Then snow moving back in Thursday to Sunday.

The bakery is OPEN for the Season. Terri has a couple of new items to die for.

Don't forget to ask for the snowest discount when booking your room at the Super 8. You can save $$$.
The garage is open for you to work on your sleds or store them over night. You can borrow tools if you need some thing.
Hope to see you soon.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just to let you know the outside cam is up and running.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Snowy morning from Bearclaw and the Super 8. The snowman is coming through with his prediction. We've picked up 6 inches from yesterday till this morning. We could see another 3-4 inches by tonight.
Yes keep up the snow dance.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Avalanches will mostly break directly below the new snow from last night and today, which will total over a foot of snow. Avalanche danger is CONSIDERABLE.

I've had a few sleds use the garage yesterday. I would like to thank them.
Don't forget that I fill Avy bottles. Check my prices.
Hope every one is having a good weekend.

Thanks Christopher for sharing the picture and the link

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wow what a day Monday was. We picked up 12 + (Sunday and Monday)and I was able to get it all plowed and still make it to town to pick up supplies.
I would like to thank all those people that have helped with the snow dance. It worked well. We picked up another inch this morning. Keep up the good work and keep dancing.

The snowman is calling for a great chance of snow Thursday and Friday.
Everyone should be careful out on the mountain. Chances of avalanches are possible. Check out the Avalanche danger.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Outside Cooke City there is a thin layer of weak snow 1.5 feet under the surface. Sunday’s 14” (1.4” of snow water equivalent) added enough stress to make slopes unstable. Snowmobilers triggered a slide on this layer near Lulu Pass and had to be rescued, while another sledder had a near-miss ascending Daisy Pass when a natural slide almost caught him. This heavy load also triggered natural slides on Scotch Bonnet and Miller Ridge. Ian and I went there yesterday and found deep snow, evidence of wind drifts from the strong winds, and a thin layer of facets breaking in our stability tests. Today, the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE because it is possible to trigger slides on this layer, although I do not expect it to remain a problem for a long time.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw bakery and the Super 8. The snowman is coming through with another great storm. He's put us in a winter storm warning, with a possible 12 - 18 inches, starting today till Friday at 11 am. Keep DANCING

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Yesterday skiers south of town dug a pit and found good, stable conditions on their tour. Even so, given the weekend’s new snow, wind-loading, and variable nature of this weak layer, it is still possible to trigger slides. Travel one at a time in avalanche terrain and back off at the first sign of instability (cracking, collapsing and recent avalanches no matter how small). For today, the danger is rated MODERATE.

I've been busy filling avy bottles, stop in if you need one filled or looking to buy or rent avy packs, beacons, probes or shovels.

Don't forget that we sell out of state snowmobile permits.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Cooke city. The snowman has only given us a couple of inches. He's still states that we are in a winter storm warning. We could see 10 inches today and 2-3 tomorrow. The snowman has moved the time of Friday till 5 pm for the watch.

The town has had a steady stream of sleds coming in. I'm going to try and make it up on the mountains to give you a couple of pic's today.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Wind drifts will be thick and easy to trigger today. Avalanches will break at the new and old snow interface, and on a few slopes they may break deeper on a thin layer of facets that Ian and I found on Monday. With a snowtorm underway, the likelihood of triggering slides has increased. Visibility is poor so be extra careful about traveling underneath avalanche paths. For today, the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE on slopes with wind-drifted snow and MODERATE on all others.

R
Nov 21, 2018
Morning from Cooke city. The snowman has only given us a couple of inches. He's still states that we are in a winter storm warning. We could see 10 inches today and 2-3 tomorrow. The snowman has moved the time of Friday till 5 pm for the watch.

The town has had a steady stream of sleds coming in. I'm going to try and make it up on the mountains to give you a couple of pic's today.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Wind drifts will be thick and easy to trigger today. Avalanches will break at the new and old snow interface, and on a few slopes they may break deeper on a thin layer of facets that Ian and I found on Monday. With a snowtorm underway, the likelihood of triggering slides has increased. Visibility is poor so be extra careful about traveling underneath avalanche paths. For today, the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE on slopes with wind-drifted snow and MODERATE on all others.
Hi Bob, great to hear you are getting snow! me and others in my circle can't wait to come down and see you all. any word on conditions for top of the world yet?. Thanks and have a great day!

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Cooke city. It's been a very busy time since Friday. We picked up 8-10 inches in town. Saturday we didn't pick up any snow fall in the area. This morning we picked up about 2 inches. The snowman isn't calling for snow until this coming Friday through Sunday.
Keep up the snow dance.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Yesterday near Cooke City a snowmobiler triggered and was caught in a 2-4 foot deep hard slab avalanche. He was luckily unharmed, while his sled was trashed. Three other avalanches were triggered yesterday near Cooke City, and another was triggered two days ago. These large avalanches broke on weak layers below a couple feet of snow that fell last week. Similar slides can be triggered today, especially on heavily wind loaded slopes where thicker slabs push weak layers closer to breaking. Avoid riding on and underneath steep slopes. Today the avalanche danger is CONSIDERABLE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Hi Bob, great to hear you are getting snow! me and others in my circle can't wait to come down and see you all. any word on conditions for top of the world yet?. Thanks and have a great day!
I haven't heard of anyone riding the top of the world yet. I'll let everyone know when I find out. I now the trail doesn't have enough snow from the parking lot to the junctions.

Premium Features