• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bearclaw bob Cooke city

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Another good day. Closer to windshield than bumper everywhere we rode today.
ce4208ff8a2603e754ec3c50b16f7f3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
partly cloudy and windy

The snowman is calling for snow today, but along with that, the wind will be gusting up to 35 mph. Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday will be sunny and should be a great day to ride. This won't help the avalanche danger.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Sadly, on Friday a skier was killed in an avalanche in the Tobacco Roots, there was a snowmobiler killed in Idaho, and a snowmobiler buried and missing in Utah. Through the western U.S. buried weak layers and recent snow have created dangerous avalanche conditions. This year the snowpack is begging us to be patient and choose conservative objectives for our backcountry tours. Before you go to the backcountry do your homework. Carefully plan safe routes through low angle terrain.

Today large and dangerous avalanches are easy to trigger and could break naturally. Avalanche danger is CONSIDERABLE.

Our thoughts go out to the family and friends that have lost people the last few days.

Last edited:

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Cold and clear skies

BRRRRRRRRRR COLC.. Woke up to 12 below and the snowman only called for 3 below. We will see clear skies till Friday night. Then snow moves back into the picture for Saturday through Wednesday. We do have powder to ride in, but it won't last till Saturday.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Yesterday, large natural avalanches were seen on Fan Mountain, near Big Sky, Sheep Mountain, near Cooke City, and on Mount Blackmore, in Hyalite. The slide on Sheep Mountain broke up to 8’ deep in a thick wind drift.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Cold and clear skies

Morning from Cooke city. Well we've warmed up to 8 below this morning. It was a great day for riding yesterday. The snowman is still showing snow coming in Saturday. Keep up the snow dance.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: With time, stability is improving and it is getting more difficult to trigger avalanches, but there are spots where it is possible. These areas will either be wind-loaded or shallow and unsupportable. I was in Taylor Fork on Sunday and was able to trigger a slide in one of these spots from 50’ away. Sinking to your waist in sugary snow is a serious concern because it means the underlying snowpack is weak and potentially unstable. Although triggering slides is getting harder, it’s definitely possible, especially on slopes with recent wind-drifted snow. For today, the danger is rated MODERATE throughout our advisory area.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Clear skies

Morning from Bearclaw/ Bakery and the Super 8 motel. The snowman is still calling for snow starting Saturday and it will continues to Wednesday. Yes, it's going to get warmer and the days past. It is above zero at this time.

If your in need of a room, give the Super 8 a call and don't forget to mention the Snowest discount when making your room reservations.

If you need a Avy bottle filled. You can get it done right here. Stop in and see what else Bearclaw Bob's can help you with.
We do sell Montana and Wyoming snowmobile permits.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Although triggering slides is getting harder, it’s definitely possible, especially on slopes with recent wind-drifted snow. For today, the danger is rated MODERATE throughout our advisory area.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SNOW

Goooood morning from Bearclaw and the Super 8. The snowman is calling for a winter storm watch from 4 am this morning till 6 pm Monday night. We could see several feet of snow by Monday morning. Keep up the snow dance. I'll keep every one posted.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Although the avalanche danger is gradually decreasing, it is still possible to get surprised. The avalanche fatality in the Tobacco Roots a week ago today is a sobering reminder that being caught off guard can have severe consequences. To reduce risk and stack the deck in your favor, talk with your partners, make a plan, dig and test the snow, and be wise about terrain selection. Remember if stability is the question, terrain is the answer.

Today, human triggered avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

Have a great weekend.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Cloudy SKIES

Morning from Bearclaw/bakery and the Super 8 motel. Winter storm warning is still in effect till Monday 6pm. But the snowman has changed his mind. We can see about 5 inches today and tomorrow the storm hits us. We could see up to 18 inches. KEEP DANCING.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The forest service has put a avalanche sign up next to the beacon checker. This sign will tell you the conditions of avalanches.
Assessing snow stability is challenging due to the high spatial variability of the snowpack. Some slopes have strong snow while others are weak and unstable. Predicting what slopes are safe to ride requires careful snowpack evaluation. I recommend putting the shovel in the snow and doing a few stability tests before committing to steep terrain. Keep in mind, the easiest way to avoid avalanches is to avoid riding on or underneath steep slopes. If you do expose yourself to avalanche terrain, always be thinking of the consequences of being caught and have a plan in case a slide does occur.

Today, avalanches breaking on weak layers in the bottom 1/3 of the snowpack are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

Just a reminder that the Bakery opens at for for a free cup of coffee if your wondering the streets that early. The biggest seller the last couple of days is the French Toast. MMMMMM,MMMMMM good.

I've had people ask me about avy bottle fill. Yes I do fill them. Come in and drop them off.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
No smiles today

Morning from Cooke City. The snowman is letting us down. Now we will only see about 4 inches today. We still have a chance of snow till Wednesday.Keep up the snow dance. We've seen about 3 inches from the storm so far.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Avalanches could break deeper where the snowpack is shallow and weak. Avalanche danger is CONSIDERABLE on wind loaded slopes and MODERATE on non-wind loaded slopes.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Sunny

Evening from Cooke city. Here is a recap from Sunday till now. Sunday, we picked up about 3 inches of snow by night. Monday, it started snowing in the morning and the snowman was good to us. Picked up about 8-10 inches. Tuesday, I plowed all day. We could still see a couple more inches before it's all over. The snowman is telling me that we have another day of snow for tomorrow, then clear skies for Thursday. After that we have a chance of snow for 7 more days. Keep up the snow dance.

AVALANCHE CONDITION'S: While the snowpack is working to accommodate the new load, steer clear of new wind drifts and any slope with weak snow near the ground. If in doubt, keep it simple by sticking to low angled slopes. The avalanche danger is CONSIDERABLE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Track

Looking for a polaris 155 , 2.6 track. Let me know if you have a good one to sell. Thanks

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Sunny

Sunny

Afternoon from Cooke city. The snowman gave us 2 more inches of snow over night. Today it will be sunny. But the snowman is still calling for more snow. Lets wait and see.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: A less likely but more dangerous problem will be avalanches breaking 2-3’ deep on facets near the ground. This problem mainly exists on slopes with a thinner-weaker snowpack. Sings of instability such as cracking/collapsing are becoming less likely so digging to assess the snowpack structure is recommended before committing to steep terrain.

Today, human triggered avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
colder and clear

Morning from chilly Cooke city. The subzero weather found us. It's 18 below and by 4 pm we could see 4 above. Yes it's going to continue tomorrow also. Tomorrow we will again see snow moving in for 9 days. Keep up the snow dance.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: In the mountains around Bozeman, Big Sky and Cooke City, the main avalanche concern is on slopes that were wind-loaded with new snow in the last 5 days. A skier outside Cooke City got collapses indicating lingering instability. For today, the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE on all slopes.

Sledders took advantage keeping sleds in a warm garage last night here. Remember if you need to work on your sleds in a warm garage come see me. I also carry lots of parts for most sleds.

The breakfast burrito has been the best seller for the last several years.
Stop in and get a free cup of coffee early in the mornings.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
overcast

Afternoon from Bearclaw/bakery and the Super 8 motel. We had some sun this morning but it has become overcast. The snowman is calling for a 50% for Saturday and Sunday. Monday we have a 50% chance. Keep up the snow dance so we don't loose chances of snow for the next 9 days.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Winds yesterday and last night likely created wind drifts at the ridgelines and in gullies that will crack and potentially avalanche. For today, avalanches on wind drifts and deeper in the snowpack are possible and the danger is rated MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
partly cloudy

Afternoon from Cooke city. It snowed over night an inch. The snowman is calling for 6 more days of snow as you can see that the days have went down. Some one isn't dancing hard enough. Keep up the dancing.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Be on the lookout for slabs in unusual locations due to less common east winds. Today, small fresh drifts of snow are likely and wind loaded slopes have a MODERATE avalanche danger. Avalanche danger is LOW on non-wind loaded slopes.

I received a few more BCA radio's. I thought I'd let people know that I'll be selling off the some of my rental equipment. Avy packs, and avalanche beacons. They will be sold as a first come, first serve starting the middle of March.

Another great day for the bakery. The almond french toast was a great hit and coming in second was the breakfast burrito.
I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Last edited:

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
lightly snowing

After noon from Bearclaw / Bakery and the Super 8 motel. The snowman is calling for snow,but not a lot. We could see a couple of inches today and tomorrow and for 4 more days, again the big snow went around us.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Yesterday near Cooke City a snowmobiler triggered a large avalanche on the south face of Mt. Abundance.
Today, avalanches are possible on wind loaded slopes which have MODERATE avalanche danger. On non-wind loaded slopes avalanche danger is LOW.

Last edited:

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Winter storm warning

Afternoon from Cooke city. The snowman is calling for a Winter storm warning tonight through Thursday night. Strong winds and up to a foot of snow. We'll see what's blown in. I think its going to stay north of us again. We can see snow for another 7 more days.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Saturday’s snowmobile triggered slide on Mt. Abundance appears to have broken on that weak snow near the ground. Before riding into steep terrain, dig down to make sure you aren’t dealing with these reactive weak layers.

On wind loaded slopes, triggering an avalanche is likely and the avalanche danger is CONSIDERABLE. On non-windloaded slopes, the avalanche danger is MODERATE.

Presidents weekend will be here quick. Stop in and see the specials I have on Avy packs in stock. Priced to sell. Along with other great items.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SNOW

Morning from Bearclaw/bakery and the Super 8. It's coming, SNOW. The snowman was telling me snow was coming. I told him it was the help of everyone dancing. We could see up to a foot of snow by tomorrow morning. The sad thing is because of this big snow storm today. It has shorten the rest of the weeks snow. We are looking at 4 days of snow. Keep dancing, we need snow.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The snowpack is strong and stable in many areas, yet unstable in a few others. Weak layers mid-pack, and near the ground in shallow areas have the potential to avalanche as evidenced by Saturday’s snowmobiler triggered slide on the south face of Mt. Abundance. For today, the avalanche danger is CONSIDERABLE on wind-loaded slopes and MODERATE on all others.

If your looking at booking at the Super 8, don't forget to mention the snowest discount. Make sure you tell them when booking.

The bakery is doing well, Terri thanks everyone that stops in.

Premium Features