• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Be carful out there

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/11/25/avalanche-telluride-ophir-colorado/76406496/

SAN MIGUEL COUNTY – Two brothers survived what authorities describe as a major avalanche on a popular backcountry ski route Wednesday – despite the fact they both thought the other was dead.

The brothers, identified as Alex and Brian Holmes, were skiing from Trout Lake to Ophir. According to the San Miguel County Sheriff's Office, Brian, 26, started to descend from the top of the Fatwa area near Waterfall Canyon when he triggered an avalanche.

Alex, 27, saw the "massive slide" sweep his brother out of sight. When he tried to ski down, he triggered a second slide, and – deeming the conditions too dangerous -- tried to return to Trout Lake for help, believing his brother was dead.

But Brian was actually 1,000 feet down the slide … and very much alive.

The sheriff's office says he landed on his back and was mostly buried in snow, with only his face and one arm exposed. It took him 10 to 15 minutes to escape, before he started an hour-long search for his brother – who he also thought was dead.

But as this was happening, Alex had contacted search and rescue personnel, who launched a helicopter and sent Telluride Ski Patrollers with a trained avalanche dog to the scene.

During the mission, dispatchers received a call from Brian's phone. They say they heard someone breathing, but never spoke to anyone.

Brian ultimately made it back to Ophir, prompting rescuers to "stand-down," the sheriff's office said.

Despite the severity of the avalanche, he is expected to survive in injuries.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Yup, been a few slides.

Couldn't help but get a kick out of the brothers story. Reminds me of my brother!

C
Dec 24, 2014
That area is WELL known for sliding. They took a calculated risk and lived... this time. They send one guy down to test it out then follow, first guy slid it big, second guy slid another section, bunch of idiot skiers in my book and they will get theirs probably sooner than later.

They push their luck and then like to point at sledders for being the dangerous ones. Is that why you skiers have all these avy rescue stories? My group of sledders hasn't EVER had to dig anyone out of an avy in over a decade of riding the same areas.

Sorry, I just do not have any sympathy for people that make intentionally bad choices for a thrill ride. If you do so, better accept the consequences too. What happened to these guys can hardly be called an accident.

J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
All that stuff around Ophir Pass is sketchy all winter. One of the biggest slides in the past few years in this area was set off over there by a skier. Good thing they have a ski hut over there at the top of the pass! Quite a few accident reports on CAIC from that area.

C
Dec 24, 2014
I keep driving it in the summer looking for places to ride but that is some dangerous terrain over there for sure. The pic of the slope they slid is on the CAIC website. It is a massive terrain trap. You would never catch me on a sled on that hill.

I think it is all about people taking chances for that thrill ride. Lucky for us we have a throttle flipper than can provide thrills without having to bail down into a death trap. Then they have the nut sack to show up at USFS meetings pointing their fingers at us for being dangerous...LOL

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
That area is WELL known for sliding. They took a calculated risk and lived... this time. They send one guy down to test it out then follow, first guy slid it big, second guy slid another section, bunch of idiot skiers in my book and they will get theirs probably sooner than later.

They push their luck and then like to point at sledders for being the dangerous ones. Is that why you skiers have all these avy rescue stories? My group of sledders hasn't EVER had to dig anyone out of an avy in over a decade of riding the same areas.

Sorry, I just do not have any sympathy for people that make intentionally bad choices for a thrill ride. If you do so, better accept the consequences too. What happened to these guys can hardly be called an accident.

One of the most disappointing things I learned years ago as a skier/boarder in my Avy 1 class was that ideal avalanche terrain and ideal ski terrain happen to be the same damn thing.

C
Dec 24, 2014
One of the most disappointing things I learned years ago as a skier/boarder in my Avy 1 class was that ideal avalanche terrain and ideal ski terrain happen to be the same damn thing.

Probably why they invented ski areas... Controlled conditions and a ride up. Who in their right mind enjoys a 2-3 hour hike for a 15 minute run?

J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
The times I've driven it in the summer on my dirt bike I've wondered how people get back to the Opus Hut without killing themselves. The road from Silverton and from Ophir going to the top of the pass, both cross through some massive slide paths. Then once you're at the top the only place to ski is in avalanche terrain. Doesn't seem to be any safe, low angled tree runs up there.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Didn't that County's Sheriff come out against motorized use as causing too many S & R calls? He wants to close Blackbear, a summer route.
Does he complain about skier rescues?

C
Dec 24, 2014
I had not heard that... Which county because three, almost four counties come together right at the top of the pass. San Juan to the south, San Miguel to the west, Ouray to the north and Hinsdale to the east.

Ophir could fall under either SJ or SM depending on what side of the ridge you are on.

San Juan county is more or less the town of Silverton. San Miguel is mainly ruled by the libtards of Telluride. I also do not see much sled use on Ophir for the reasons mentioned. I can't really imagine Silverton trying to shut down sleds but I could see San Miguel county looking to close as much as they can get away with where sleds are concerned.

The San Miguel county sheriff wouldn't DARE call out skiers. He would never get re-elected. That is a skier driven county, one of the most liberal in the state.

Last edited:
C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I remember something about the summer closing, probably San Miguel for obvious reasons.

Don't remember if it was jeeps, or other less capable 4wd. But they were having a lot of trouble on one of the harder passes.

C
Dec 24, 2014
The San Miguel side of Black Bear is a dangerous road. I don't think we actually lose many folks that way but, it is without a doubt a dangerous place to drive no matter what you are in.

I know it was open this summer though because I was up there several times. I think one of the clubs even came up the road from Telluride this summer for a special event. Normally it is one way down from the top of the falls.

I could see how they would want to shut it down. It hasn't really been a problem for the last 100 years or so but, they really need to get on with saving us from ourselves LOL...

Telluride from the top of the falls. The roads does a bunch of steep nasty switchbacks down the side of the mountain from here.

From the west looking east on the right you see Telluride ski runs, on the left the white line is the waterfall after a cloudburst. The road zig zags down that rock face. If you mess up, it is a fast trip to the bottom!

Closing down a jeep road in the San Juans is going to be a pretty hard sell. It is the root of summer tourism.

Last edited:

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
CO Powder -- it was the San Miguel County Sheriff.

Did the Dodge go down BB? That would be quite a trip, I'd think. The problem area would be the switchback immediately above the little creek crossing on the northly side, and one below that. My Xterra has a really tight turning radius, and I had to back up on one of those...

C
Dec 24, 2014
CO Powder -- it was the San Miguel County Sheriff.

Did the Dodge go down BB? That would be quite a trip, I'd think. The problem area would be the switchback immediately above the little creek crossing on the northly side, and one below that. My Xterra has a really tight turning radius, and I had to back up on one of those...

I haven't taken that truck down the switchbacks. I am sure it can be done since they run full sized tour trucks down it. I have done it a few times in previous vehicles but I don't bother unless somebody from out of town insists. My wife loves the wildflowers that grow in the basin above the falls though, so we visit often in the summer.

Premium Features