• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA vs Baofeng bf-888s

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
I bought those programmed Baeofangs on Facebook. Came from Idaho Falls?
Anyway, I have no idea what I'm doing with them.

I need a list of the talkabout channel programs. Lol

is there a model number on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
i started using the the BF-F8HP when they first came out with waterproof mic and upgraded antenna. they worked so well i started programming them and selling them. they put out 8 watts and with my setup i get 2-4 mile range in the bush and over 20 miles between high points clear line of sight. been using them for 3 years now no problems.

also the functionality of vhf and being able to call in your mile markers on active logging roads to staging areas is nice.

Mn_Mtn_Cat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2008
Wadena, MN
My wife gave me 2 UV-82HP's for Christmas with the PC03 programing cable. I am looking for some help programing them so I can talk to the others with BCA radios.
In Chirp, what radio do i pick for downloading the original data from the radio.
I have tried several and getting errors communicating with radio.
The UV-82HP is not in the list.
If someone would have a file to share with the codes in that I could load in Chirp, that would help also.

Thank you.
Allen

Radio.jpg

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Agreed - VERY easy to program with CHIRP. Here is a video to show you how to do it :)

Cheers!

Get CHIRP here
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Programming Baofeng Radios

Is there anywhere else to get Chirp? I can't get it to install, fails on my work computer running windows 10 and my girlfriends mac. Same failure during the installation of the software. Anyone else have that problem?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I only used this one, but using windows 8.1

Maybe do a youtube search or a google search to see if there is an updated CHIRP program that is for windows 10, or a different install procedure for the newer version of windows.

C
Feb 10, 2019
Saskatchewan
I was going to buy a BCA until my co worker recommended a Baofeng, then with google searches led me to here.

i know nothing about these radios and with hours of reading and searching last night, still confused. For mountain sledding, what do i need to get started?
Found this website that is in Canada, where i am.
www.baofengradio.ca

can someone tell me which one is the one i need.
it will be used for group riding. Almost everyone else has these radios, but older models.
Thanks

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
I haven't been able to get chirp working on several computers, nor have i been able to find another source for it. Reached out to the support for it and crickets.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Yes to windows 10. Not sure on chirp support? Yes to baofeng program cable.

The software fails installation. I've tried downloading repeatedly and get the same thing. If i click retry, just re-error's, if i click ignore, it error's on the next file and the next and so on. The download page says it's compatible with my version of windows, not sure what's up. Anyone have a previously downloaded version they'd be willing to email that has worked on windows 10?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

CISC0

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2010
PNW=WA
Ordered my Baofeng from Ride 208 out of Idaho. They are on Facebook. Came pre programmmed with the BCA channels. Might have saved some $ by ordering from Amazon , but I am NOT tech savy. So worth paying a little more to have them ready to go. Also had some questions and Jason from Ride 208 was very helpfull.
Cheers

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Finally got CHIRP to install, had to run the installer as an administrator...but now it won't talk to the radio. Trying to import the stock file and it fails to communicate. This should be so simple! I know the steps, i understand it all, but i think it's restrictions on this computer from my company. Anyone near idaho falls willing to help for a 6 pack?

Edit: got chirp installed on my girlfriends mac, same communication problem. Wondering if I have a junk cable from baofeng?

Last edited:
Premium Features