• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA Float 30 review

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
My take on the BCA Float 30… so far.

Since the BCA pack is new, and we’re early on the list of folks that have received theirs, I thought I’d submit a review. I chose these packs for several reasons.

1) An additional level of Avy safety
2) Design allows for training and practice
3) Cost - $500 USD to the consumer
4) Personal history with BCA products

I have been very pleased with the products I have seen and owned that BCA makes. I had every reason to believe these packs would meet that same high quality standard. The customer support has been fantastic. I first saw their product at the Puyallup WA, snow show in Oct. 2009. I got to handle and test pull a demo. The demo was pretty well used, I’ll bet I heard it deploy 50+ times during the time I was there. That’s a lot, and the inflation process and bag showed zero signs of decreased performance or wear. A couple weeks later, I placed an order through SnowBigDeal for 2 packs; one for my wife, and one for me.

Some background:
My first pack was the BCA Stash, and worked well. Just didn’t have enough room for my liking, as I got deeper into this addiction, er, I mean, hobby. I handed the stash pack to my wife, and found a DaKine Pro II for a killer buy. I have been happy with the DeKine product for size and function.

Initial impression
When we first pulled them out of the box, they felt light for all the components contained. They also feel well-made in your hands. I saw no hanging threads, no short sewn seams. The area the airbag is stored/contained in is pretty rigid, its stuffed in there pretty good, and held closed with a constant Velcro seam. That forms almost a perimeter framing of sorts for the top half of the pack.

Storage volume and weight:
I have attached some photos of the DaKine product on my back; full of the gear I have been carrying. I then loaded the new BCA with the same gear, (actually, added 2 pair of goggles) and have taken similar photos. I tried to show relative size, and such, and how it ‘rides’ on my back.

The BCA product clearly has more storage room than the Pro II. I have yet to actually organize the contents to efficiently use the space, I just crammed it in there, and there is still quite a bit of room. When comparing the packs ‘loaded’, the Float 30 actually feels lighter than the DaKine on my back, I suspect that is due to the previously mentioned pack rigidity. Others have some nice pics of the pack and compartments.

Deployment
I have deployed them several times already, in the house, and on the sled in the garage. I have found you really want to give that cord a definite ‘yank’. My wife and I discovered that the force needed to deploy the bag is less if you have your pack straps nice and tight. In her test pull, she did not have the straps very tight, and when she ‘yanked’ on the handle, the shoulder strap moved easily, and it was more difficult to deploy the bag.

During the first (and only) test fire on one of the Float 30s, I noticed a hissing sound coming from a seam in the bag. I won’t bore you with details, but I am very impressed with the attitude of both SnowBigDeal and BCA in this matter. To some this manufacturing defect might be a negative, and while that is a serious issue in a potential life-safety item, that underscored the importance for a test fire once it has arrived to the consumer. I consider it an overall positive, because of the great customer support I have received. In less than 24 hours, I have a tracking number for the arriving replacement Float 30 pack, with the request that I return the leaking unit with the enclosed shipping label.

How if fits
I am 6’2” tall, and about 210 #s. Here are some photos of what the pack looks like on my back, in my home. In an attempt at accuracy, I did put on my protective vest and my normal riding jacket. I began with some comparison photos of the DaKine product, as many know the size and shape of them already.

DaKine Pro II on my back (full of gear)
P1282013.jpg

P1282010.jpg

BCA Float 30 pack on my back (with same amount of gear, plus 2 pair goggles)
P1282016.jpg

P1282017.jpg

There is room to add more items, and I intend to change to the Ortovox Grizzley shovel, I really like that ‘claw’ feature for digging quickly. I will post some more pics when I get that shovel and get the configuration of my pack contents arranged to my liking. It is not designed to carry the shovel on the outside of the pack, but there is a dedicated shovel pocket.

I should note that I have not had a chance to test this on the snow, and ride with it yet. I’m recovering from arm surgery, and won’t be able to ride for a few more weeks, thus I have the time to bore you all with this kind of a review.

So far, I’m pleased with the product, and very pleased with the customer service attitude shown me by BCA and my retailer, SnowBigDeal.

If you are in my area, feel free to PM me, and you can check out the pack yourself.

PE

Premium Features