• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA BC Link Radios

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Now that the fcc has changed the rules reguarding frs/gmrs, the bca as all other type accepted radios, are now obsolete. The new rules allow higher power and data. Which means, all manufacturers will be able to do location information from user to user.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
And how does that make the BCA radios obsolete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I guess one needs to understand the meaning of obsolete.
There are lots of things considered obsolete that are still in daily use. Like my 1st gen dodge Cummins. It is obsolete but, it still works as designed. Obsolete does not mean dead. It means out dated, superseded.....

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Bought 3 BCA radios on Black Friday. Got to use them yesterday for the first time. Far from impressed. When they did work, the distances had to be almost line of sight. Less than 1/4 mile. Most of the time none of us could hear a complete sentence. The mic confirmation beep was random. Had high hopes. Now have no confidence. We all busted out our $29 costco radios and worked as expected.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Bought 3 BCA radios on Black Friday. Got to use them yesterday for the first time. Far from impressed. When they did work, the distances had to be almost line of sight. Less than 1/4 mile. Most of the time none of us could hear a complete sentence. The mic confirmation beep was random. Had high hopes. Now have no confidence. We all busted out our $29 costco radios and worked as expected.

What channel were you using?

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
We've been using BCA radios for 3 seasons and they are very good and have good range. You do have to push the mic transmit button for a second before speaking or you sentence will be cut short.
IMO best radio for Sledder's.

B

blcontracting

Jan 12, 2013
I've had similar experiences with poor range and unable to make contact with group members that where not very far away. Overall radio is designed well for sledders but range and the fact it can be accidentally switched to a different channel needs to be improved upon to make it the "ultimate" snowmobiling communication device.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The only problem we are having so far is that the channel gets changed easily.

Range is good.
Batteries are good. (Three rides without recharging yet).
Ease of use is good.

An earbud might be nice, otherwise we have to shut the sleds off to talk.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Remember some BCA channels are only 1/2 watt.

Adjust your channel usage for either tight or loose groups as for distance.

From BCA site,

"BC Link radio channels 1 through 7 are combined GMRS/FRS channels. Channels 8 through 14 are FRS channels. Channels 15 through 22 are GMRS channels. The FRS channels (8-14) transmit at 0.5 W, while all other channels transmit at 1.0W. While battery life is longer when using channels 8-14, the range of transmission is shorter."

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Remember some BCA channels are only 1/2 watt.

Adjust your channel usage for either tight or loose groups as for distance.

From BCA site,

"BC Link radio channels 1 through 7 are combined GMRS/FRS channels. Channels 8 through 14 are FRS channels. Channels 15 through 22 are GMRS channels. The FRS channels (8-14) transmit at 0.5 W, while all other channels transmit at 1.0W. While battery life is longer when using channels 8-14, the range of transmission is shorter."

Correct!!!

Btw, what it's the universal emergency channel that Mike Duffy talks about at his clinics?
1-1 or 9-1?
Or???

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
What channel were you using?

4-4, 1-0, 1-1, 3-3. They all were poor.
Got all the radios home and tried every combo possible. About 1/4 mile apart, they go to sh!t. They perform like 1/8th watt radios. At the same time, our cheapo radios work great. The BCA receive well from the cheapo radios but do not transmit well, either to another BCA or the cheapos.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Got all the radios home and tried every combo possible. About 1/4 mile apart, they go to sh!t. They perform like 1/8th watt radios. At the same time, our cheapo radios work great. The BCA receive well from the cheapo radios but do not transmit well, either to another BCA or the cheapos.

I would contact BCA.

My 1/2 watt channels work line of site for at least a mile.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Make sure the antennas are in the same place when testing.
I use the baofeng uv-6. Programmed for the frs/gmrs channels. 4 watts. We seldom have comm problems. Also the btech speaker mic. I have a few people that have replaced their bca with my uv-6..

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Brian101

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2014
The only problem we are having so far is that the channel gets changed easily.

Range is good.
Batteries are good. (Three rides without recharging yet).
Ease of use is good.

An earbud might be nice, otherwise we have to shut the sleds off to talk.

The best way Iv found to not have your channel accidentally change on you.

Set you desired channel on preset letter A.
Set letter B on one of the static channels.

Every time it's switched you instantly know.

J
Mar 19, 2008
These radios are garbage. When they work they're fine, but they only work when its warm. Anything below 15 degrees and the battery just completely dies. I bought two of these pieces of junk as did every person in my riding group, and all of them are the same. I have had better luck with $15 sets from the gas station. Never again with this crap.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
These radios are garbage. When they work they're fine, but they only work when its warm. Anything below 15 degrees and the battery just completely dies. I bought two of these pieces of junk as did every person in my riding group, and all of them are the same. I have had better luck with $15 sets from the gas station. Never again with this crap.

I haven't been out this year ABOVE 15 degrees.
Have gotten three full rides on each charge.
That means I've only charged it twice this year.

J
Mar 19, 2008
All the ones i have been around have been fine for about half a season. Then the first thing you notice is that when its cold you will hit the transmit button, and even with a full charge, the screen will go blank then come back on. Then the battery dies and they are useless.
My second one died like that yesterday, and now will not take a charge. Ended up finishing the ride with a $15 cheapie from a gas station.
IMO these radios are overpriced junk. Don't waste your money.

Premium Features