• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BC Snowmobile Registration Rules Change - Nov 17, 2014

R
Oct 17, 2008
Williams Lake B.C.
And do previously registered sled's with the yellow provincial registration decal need to be re registered with this new system as it looks like nothing but another money grab from our provincial government.

B
May 13, 2009
And do previously registered sled's with the yellow provincial registration decal need to be re registered with this new system as it looks like nothing but another money grab from our provincial government.

money grab
how is a plate on the back of my quad going to make anything safer

BC-XP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Kamloops
It's an actual stamped metal "Off Road Vehicle" License Plate.

You only get one. No more Decals for a new sled.
Not sure how ICBC expects people to mount them to a sled.

As far as I know, if you have a previously registered sled with yellow decals, you still need to take your proof of ownership to any ICBC insurance broker and re-register it to an actual license plate ????

I agree, not going to stop someone from stealing it and just taking the plate off. Decals would at least require a little more effort to remove.

Maybe ICBC is going to mail people decals for snowmobiles ?? No One at insurance broker knew much about it, just that every off road vehicle (dirt bikes, atv's, side x sides, etc) now needs a license plate if riding on crown land.

Went into effect Nov17, 2014. Becomes Mandatory June 1, 2015

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
I got lucky and got my decals just before the new rules, so I saved $38, a one time expense, and guys are whining about it. We spend up to 20K for a sled and then whine about an extra $38. I for one am glad they are finally registering everything here in BC, yes, it won't prevent theft but it just might help recover some stolen stuff and catch the dirtbags that stole it in the process. More taxes, yes, we have those coming up too, now you have to pay PST on a used sled, sameo for a used truck and, even if its a private deal. Those that don't want to comply, don't whine again when you get a ticket for it. We that live in BC have one of the best medical systems anywhere, and the price of having that open heart surgery at 500 grand is free! Think of that the next time you have to pay more taxes for something. My whine is the price of gas, Calgary was 96 cents while here in Sicahole is $1.25, WTF! I have tried to attach some info sheets from the BC Wildlife Federation with respect to the new rules, hopefully they'll turn out...Sherm

ORV1.jpg ORV2.jpg

trenchking

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
What's the requirements for out of country sleds to ride in BC?

B
Jan 24, 2011
Kamloops, BC
I have to ask this for people from out of province.. Do we now have to register our sleds in our province to be legal there? I don't register my sleds..

Yes, if riding on public land. Think of it like your truck, you need AB plates to drive legally in BC. ORV's will now be looked at the same way.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
What's the requirements for out of country sleds to ride in BC?
Technically, nothing has really changed for our of province/country people. You were always expected to have proof of ownership/registration. Did everyone? Hell no. So the only real question is, will it be enforced more now.

BC-XP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Kamloops
I got lucky and got my decals just before the new rules, so I saved $38,

I was told to hold off registering until after the 17th, and that if I had gone to the licensing branch to pay my $10 and get my yellow decals they would just end up refunding my money thru the mail several months later and I'd still have to go thru the new licensing process ???

I'd rather have the yellow decals instead of the goofy license plate.

Maybe you got lucky .... maybe not ... guess time will tell.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
^ That will be the party line, maybe some truth to it.

In reality, they're mostly looking to increase frequency of collecting taxes on private sales of used sleds/ATV's/dirtbikes.

Registered my new sled yesterday at an ICBC office. Was easy - $30 for registration and a new plate.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
One time registration for as long as you own it - just like before. No annual renewal. I don't remember what the registration fee was under the old system, but I don't think this is any more expensive.

Once you sell it, the 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, etc) owners will need to transfer the registration to their name, and pay taxes on it....just like selling a car private party. You even use the same form (APV9), and the ICBC registration looks identical (just like the registration for your car - the bottom of the 1st page of your ICBC insurance papers).

Remember - if you played by the rules, you were always SUPPOSED to transfer regi and pay tax when purchasing a used sled/ATV/dirtbike private party. Obviously many people didn't do that. So you can still try to skirt that system if possible - just depends if they are going to enforce things more now, and/or have stricter penalties.

Only thing I'm still unclear on - not sure if the number plate stays with the sled for it's life, or with the owner for his/her new sled.

On the good side - my sled insurance rate through Beacon has gone down and was quite reasonable...so I was happy with that :)

Ultimately, I think it will be nicer to do everything at your insurance broker's, particularly if you intend to purchase insurance at the same time. Lord knows the people at a private outfit are better to deal with than the gov....

Last edited:
Premium Features