• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BC sledding info

S
Mar 1, 2008
Canada, Eh
I am planning on visiting BC for a few weeks of sledding. I have never been to BC or ridden in the mountains. I am hoping to get some info on what area a beginner should look at?
my rough plan is to figure out which area to go, sigh p for a 2-3 day clinic, then likely repeat the 2nd week. I certainly know I have limitations and don't want to be a hazard, or a statistic.

Thanks for any advice,
Spiffy

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
If its an actual riding clinic you are wanting to sign up to that will pretty much dictate where you are going to ride as there is only a couple clinics in BC that i know of. If not, like the others said a lil more info would help in getting you some info. where your coming from, type of riding your into, sled your riding, .... but most important, if your gonna play in the mountains get the proper gear" piep, probe, shovel, a course and maybe an avy bag".

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Does a person still have to prove they have a COVID vaccine to get from the US, into Canada?
Would suck to get to the border and be turned around due to not being "jabbed"!!

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Just know your rights and u will be fine to travel across borders, many are doing it right now. As far as sledding in B.C. its endless so where abouts in B.C.
Im in the lower mainland and can say the safest place to ride would be the coquilhalla and they do have avy classes there every year, Princeton at the whipsaw has some awesome meadows riding. If u want to get into the big mountains go to whistler has some of the best riding in B.C. visit Ride with Chris Brown he has full accommodations. Otherwise Revelstoke is another great place to ride but has its risks like any big mountian riding.

S
Mar 1, 2008
Canada, Eh
So far I have just been looking at Golden and Revy. I have just been on the Interwebs and looked at Grizzly Lodge and Stoked Lodge, both offer riding clinics, and in Golden, GSR has some riding clinics. I am leaning towards Golden, but so far I know nothing about the area, how busy it is, availability of accommodations, how to find people to ride with.
I am fairly confident that not a lot of people want to baby sit a flat land riding guy from Ontario who has no experience so I think a riding clinic or 2 would be a good starting point.
I have an Assault that I ride 80% off trail and ditch banging and I have an Pro RMK. I have been in large hills/ small mountains and want to learn how to ride steeper terrain., I also don't think I need the biggest steepest mountains. My end goal is to be able to ride BC for a couple of weeks each year.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
Sounds like you have some skills. Golden has some really sweet riding from easy to holy s@#t and everything in between. Winter is generally busy there with skiing and sledding. I believe they still have guided tours. I know they have avy courses and basic sled courses as i took 1 there a coup[le of yrs ago with Hangfire avalanche training, super nice people and you can rent everything from them from head to toe and sleds. McBride has some really great riding as well as the Pine pass area between Mackenzie and Chetwyn. If your looking to stay in more the south of BC, Blue River/Valemount has great riding as well. Grizzly lodge is top notch. Hope this helps a little in your decisions.

schnid21

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2009
Hey Spiffy

Both Golden and Revvy will have lots of accommodations and usually lots of snow.

Fellow Ontario guy here. We started going west about 10 years ago. Hardly ride Golden anymore. Usually split our time between Revvy and Sicamous.

In Revvy you can always hook up with Great Canadian Tours to show you around. They pretty much spend all their time on Boulder and Frisby. Two most popular zones in Revvy.

If you are looking for the best Avvy training around. I 100% recommend getting in touch Soulrides. Jeremy and Shena do an amazing job and you get to ride some cool zones while learning. They also sell all the best gear so they can hook you up with the proper beacons, probes packs etc.

There is a Facebook page called Nobody Sleds Alone, Sicamous, Revelstoke and Kootenay’s. Lots of people in your boat post on there looking for riders.

Also for the Canadian riding zones. I find SnowandMud.com is more active than Snowest.

If you have any questions about that area let me know.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Does a person still have to prove they have a COVID vaccine to get from the US, into Canada?
Would suck to get to the border and be turned around due to not being "jabbed"!!

As of yet, Trudeau has it set up that you have had to have had a Fouchy Ouchy "within the last 9 months" to cross.
There is also some phone app for pre loading your docs to that they prefer.

S
Mar 1, 2008
Canada, Eh
Hey Spiffy

Both Golden and Revvy will have lots of accommodations and usually lots of snow.

Fellow Ontario guy here. We started going west about 10 years ago. Hardly ride Golden anymore. Usually split our time between Revvy and Sicamous.

In Revvy you can always hook up with Great Canadian Tours to show you around. They pretty much spend all their time on Boulder and Frisby. Two most popular zones in Revvy.

If you are looking for the best Avvy training around. I 100% recommend getting in touch Soulrides. Jeremy and Shena do an amazing job and you get to ride some cool zones while learning. They also sell all the best gear so they can hook you up with the proper beacons, probes packs etc.

There is a Facebook page called Nobody Sleds Alone, Sicamous, Revelstoke and Kootenay’s. Lots of people in your boat post on there looking for riders.

Also for the Canadian riding zones. I find SnowandMud.com is more active than Snowest.

If you have any questions about that area let me know.
Thanks for all the good info guys. I have a plan now;
Jan 20-26, Golden. AST1 with Hangfire
Jan 26-Feb 1, Revy, Stoked with Turcotte,
Feb 1-6, Sicamous, no plans
After the 6th, not sure. Either another week at 1 of the 3 places or home to ride northern Ontario and prep for Quebec trip.

Hope to see some of you on the hills

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Any ride out of lodging in revelstoke?

How’s the riding near kelowa?

We’d be coming up from Spokane, any suggestions where to go or stay to break up the drive to revy?

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
Any ride out of lodging in revelstoke?

How’s the riding near kelowa?

We’d be coming up from Spokane, any suggestions where to go or stay to break up the drive to revy?
I stayed at glacier house in revy last year, you can ride boulder or frisby right from your door.
I think the terrain around Kelowna is fairly mellow (and less snowfall) but they do have a sled club.

From spokane it's more direct to go thru the kootenays, anywhere from nelson to nakusp would be a good stop (and better riding)

D
I am planning on visiting BC for a few weeks of sledding. I have never been to BC or ridden in the mountains. I am hoping to get some info on what area a beginner should look at?
my rough plan is to figure out which area to go, sigh p for a 2-3 day clinic, then likely repeat the 2nd week. I certainly know I have limitations and don't want to be a hazard, or a statistic.

Thanks for any advice,
Spiffy
I would recommend getting a hold Carl Kuster! He has a great clinic in BC

Premium Features